GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. My mother is here on a tourist visa and I was wondering if I can apply for her GC using DORA (I am a USC and in the Dallas jurisdiction). Also what is the exact process. Couldn't find much info in the DORA forum - most of the posts there are regarding cases involving spouses.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. My mother is here on a tourist visa and I was wondering if I can apply for her GC using DORA (I am a USC and in the Dallas jurisdiction). Also what is the exact process. Couldn't find much info in the DORA forum - most of the posts there are regarding cases involving spouses.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you could apply for her GC. I do not exactly understand what you are referring to as DORA, but your mother will come under the immediate relative category of a USC and you can apply for her Adjustment of Status(I485) and Immediate relative petition(I130) when she is here.

This page has all the process listed out(for the fees you need to check the site)
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=202993

btw, I like your userid :)

Mother's BC required OR Is mine (showing her name) sufficient ?

I am doing GC for my mother who is currently in the US.
We mailed in the I-130 and I-485 simultaneously.
This is our timeline so far

D.O. Miami
RD 12/21/05
PD 12/27/05
FP 02/09/06

I an USC. I want to file GC for my Mother ONLY (Father expired).
Mother does NOT have her BC. I have my BC which shows her correct name as my Mother. Does my MOTHER need her BC ???
Per instructions on I-130, petioner's (my) BC is shown as a requirment (not my mother's). Please could anyone let me know whether we need my Mother's BC anywhere in the GC process.

Pl Note: Mother is now in US on visitor visa and I'll be filing I-130 here in US.

you need both certificates

you need your BC to show that she is your mom and qualifies for benefit.

Her BC to show her bio-data (will be needed for 485---remember when you filed your 485 you needed BC)..

You may get RFE if either is missing. If you do not have BC (yours or hers) get
1. NOn availability certificate
2. Two affidavits

Hope it helps

Yes, you could apply for her GC. I do not exactly understand what you are referring to as DORA, but your mother will come under the immediate relative category of a USC and you can apply for her Adjustment of Status(I485) and Immediate relative petition(I130) when she is here.

This page has all the process listed out(for the fees you need to check the site)
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=202993

btw, I like your userid :)

Thanks for the info. DORA (Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment) is aprogram that I read about where you can apply for an immediate relative in person thru INFOPASS. I really couldn't get more info on this. Was hoping to get more from Dallas guys who sponsored their parents thru DORA. Thanks anyway.

Filling for my parents no recipt yet

I have filled for my parents begining of january, documents wa recived Jun 9,08. Checks are not cashed no recipt. Any body have any info regarding this.

What documents needed

I am sure this was discussed too many times here. Do you have a link or any information on what documents I need to apply for GC for my mother.

What if my parents don't want to live at my address

Hello folks, thank you for your time.
I have a situation: My parents already got everything approved. they received the immigrant visa already after i filed for them. but some issues came up and now they don't want to live here with me (i am the sponsor). I live in Seattle and i have a brother in New York.

my questions are:
1- can they stay in New York as soon as they get in the country?
2- will their file be sent to the immigration office where they live or should they send it where i applied in Seattle?

I guess i just don't know the process for the parents when they arrive stateside. could someone please clarify.:confused:

Thank you all for your time.

Family of 13 year old US citizen - in country

Hello, new to the forum, but could not find anything that matched my case. Apologies if I missed it.

I am the (british) father of a 13 year old born in the US. I am working in the US on an L1A visa. Can I apply for a Green Card with I-130 on the basis of my son's US citizenship?

My current employment should be sufficient to show financial independence?

Thanks for any and all insight!

Richard

Your son is not of legal age

So I believe you cannot

I-130 says a citizen can file "Your parent if you are at least 21 years old;"

Last edited by a moderator:
I 130 for Father and Stepmother

Hi All,

Recently I applied I 130 for my father and stepmother. Both I-130 were approved and transfered to NVC. I recieved affidavit of bill for my father but not for my stepmother. When I called the NVC, the CSR told me that they return back my stepmother I-130 to USCIS. The CSR did not have any clue why and told me to call the USCIS for further information. Would you please help me in this matter.

Thanks in davance.

SHHFZR

Hello folks, thank you for your time.
I have a situation: My parents already got everything approved. they received the immigrant visa already after i filed for them. but some issues came up and now they don't want to live here with me (i am the sponsor). I live in Seattle and i have a brother in New York.

my questions are:
1- can they stay in New York as soon as they get in the country?
2- will their file be sent to the immigration office where they live or should they send it where i applied in Seattle?

I guess i just don't know the process for the parents when they arrive stateside. could someone please clarify.:confused:

Thank you all for your time.

If your parents have approved immigrant visa from overseas US consulate, upon their arrival in US, they become permament resident. They can travel/live anywhere in US. Their welcome letter 9which says GC is ordered) and then the GC itself will be mailed to the address on file (probably your address). This typically happens within 4 - 6 weeks of arrival. You will have to arrange to get the GC in their hands. I am not sure how to inform USCIS
about change of address and whether that will cause any delays.

I am not sure what file you are talking about and how would that matter, given the fact that they have approved immigrant visa.

On a different note, I believe all visa holders and GC holders have to inform USCIS about change of address as a requirement in Patriot Act (???). Though this has nothing to do with their imm visa/GC processing.

I am not sure what file you are talking about and how would that matter, given the fact that they have approved immigrant visa.

Thank you for your reply.
for ? #2 : My parents have been given an envelope that they have to give to the immigration officer as soon as they enter the US. they have till mid june to come. that's why i was asking if that envelope will be going to the nearest UCSIS office, or will it be forwarded to the one in Seattle, and therefore the cards will be sent to my address!?

i think that's what is going to happen right?

Thanks again

Time frame for my parents and my friend's parents GC application:

Case1: 130/485 filed with lockbox on 10/19. FP 11/22. 130 approved on 2/4, 485 approved on 2/11. Waiting for cards.

Case2: 130/485 filed with lockbox on 11/20, FP at the end of December, interviewd on 1/31, was told 485 approved and waiting for cards.

Both are in northern California.

Hi Gurus,

I am applying for my parents GC via concurrent filing at Chicago lockbox. They are here in US and their the date mentioned on I-94 is 12th May, 2008. I was revieiwing the Chicago case receipt time lines and it says that it may take upto 12 weeks to get a receipt.
The questions I have:
1) Based on past experience, how long it takes to get the receipt.
2) What happens if my parents do not receive the receipt for I-485 by May 12, 2008. Will they be out of status or sending the application covers them as they applied for AOS ?Will they have to leave the country if we don't get the receipt by May 12, 2008
3) For AOS, is an applicant fine even if the application was send prior to expiration of time allowed on I-94 or the applicant should receive the notice before expiration of time allowed on I-94.

Thanks for your help.

A1: Not too sure, though it hardly matters
A2: They are fine as long as USCIS receives the AOS application
A3: Applicants are fine in either case. Applicants are fine even if the AOS is sent after the I-94 expires.

Hi!
I applied for my parents for consellor processing (CP) on 12 Sept 2007. After waiting close to 3 and 1/2 months we recieved the Receipt notice (12/31/2007). Have not received any furthur paperwork since then. USCIS online status says that they sent the receipt notice (which I already received) and that's it. Anybody have any idea, how long this process may take. Anybody with CP have similar timesline/experiences? Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!