GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

My parents have been living since Aug08. They are holding multiple 10 year visa which expires in 2012.They have been visiting every year since 2002 and this time when they came the immigration officer told that if they come next time he will give them 1 month visa.
Then you better wait a little (at least until November) before you send the package. You don't want the immigration officer to doubt their non-immigrant intent when they were coming to US.

Is Copy of Passport Required when sending Affidavits of Support?

Hi All,

Can some please advice

Our lawyer has received Affidavit of support and fee bills from NVC for my parents and is in process to submit along with all required documents.

We have collected all the documents except, my father's passport.

My fathers passport was recently applied. It will take atleast 3 months to get the passport in India

is it ok if the lawyer sends affividavit of support, fee bill and other docs without passport photocopy? would NVC delay the application?

Thanks a lot

Hi all,

My parent (mom) just landed for another 5-6 months visit (B2 visa). But this time, her I-94 and passport is written with "No COS/No EOS". She was here last time for about 8 months (with approved additional 6 months B2 extension) and left for about 30 days and now back again. At the point of entry, the officer question her intent but didn't indicate anything related to migration just visit but the officer wrote "No COS/No EOS" anyway but stamped her I-94 till April 4th, 2008.

I'm a US citizen and now wanted to file for her GC.

Can I file for her Adjustment of Status here (AOS) in the US or must she do consular processing (outside)?

If there is no indication of "No AOS" on her passport or I-94 but just "No COS/No EOS" - that's ok to file for GC and AOS. Correct?

Hi All,

Can some please advice

Our lawyer has received Affidavit of support and fee bills from NVC for my parents and is in process to submit along with all required documents.

We have collected all the documents except, my father's passport.

My fathers passport was recently applied. It will take atleast 3 months to get the passport in India

is it ok if the lawyer sends affividavit of support, fee bill and other docs without passport photocopy? would NVC delay the application?

Thanks a lot

With fee bill and aff of support (I864), you do not need passport photocopy of applicant. Please follow the instruction for supporting documents.

With DS230 part1 to be signed by applicant, you need copy of biographic info pages from passport.

Check

I filed my mom's I-130 and I-485 concurrently on Sep.30 through priority mail. I wrote 2 checks (355 and 1010). Just found out the check for I-485 was cashed on Oct.5. I think it is good so far. Will post when have more update.

I filed my mom's I-130 and I-485 concurrently on Sep.30 through priority mail. I wrote 2 checks (355 and 1010). Just found out the check for I-485 was cashed on Oct.5. I think it is good so far. Will post when have more update.

Did you actually have to submit Police Clearance with 485 ? How did you receive it since your Mom was physically in India ? I am facing difficulty in getting the police clearance, they are saying your parents will have to come Physically and get it :confused:

My mom is in US, she is a Chinese. I have my sister get a certificate of no criminal history in China for her, that wheat I submitted together with I-485.

Did you actually have to submit Police Clearance with 485 ? How did you receive it since your Mom was physically in India ? I am facing difficulty in getting the police clearance, they are saying your parents will have to come Physically and get it :confused:

My mom is in US, she is a Chinese. I have my sister get a certificate of no criminal history in China for her, that wheat I submitted together with I-485.

I didn't know they require a certification of no criminal history now from the home country as part of the I-485 filing. I thought the FBI fingerprint clearance should be enough. No?

Do you have to also provide an official translation for that too?
Just wondering..

Hi,

I had applied for GC for both of my parents in April 2007. My mother received the card in July.
My father received 485 approval notice in July. Then we got a letter stating that his photos were not acceptable and he had to take biometrics again. It'll been 3 weeks since he got his photos re-taken. However there is no sign of a card.

Also his case status has changed from approved to :

"On May 2007 we transferred your case to CSC ....".

Have anyone been through such a situation ? Is his approval valid ? What can we do if his card doesn't arrive soon ?

Thanks.

Sorry.. but can you please clarify? You applied in April 2007 and your mom received the GC approval in July 2007? That's only 3 months. Is that correct?

I-130/I-485 concurrent filing, running out of time?

Because we are still scrambling for documents I am concerned about my mother-in-law's status after Oct 20.
Arrived 4/21/07 I-94 expires 10/20/07
Will most likely send in all documents either 10/12 or 10/15 via mail.
We do not want her to go back and wait for CP, money-wise it's more expensive.

I understand that once there is a pending I-485 application, status is current, right?
When does the clock start to have I-485 pending? Mailing time? Check cashed time? or Receipt Date?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Thanks Anahit!
Follow-up question, can you explain a bit why it's not a problem if she gets out of status?
Assuming she does get out-of-status but there is a pending application, what kind of penalty is incurred?

Thanks Anahit!
Follow-up question, can you explain a bit why it's not a problem if she gets out of status?
Assuming she does get out-of-status but there is a pending application, what kind of penalty is incurred?

Ninoy,

I believe it has something to do with the practise of "pending I-485 decision", the current status of the applicant immediately freeze until USCIS decides.

Wondering if your mom-in-law I-94 has any kind of annotation like 'No COS/No EOS' on it?
My mom I-94 has this, therefore I am undecided about whether I should file I-130/I-485 for her now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by rvb_md2001

Hi all,

Here's the timeline for my parents (my US Citizen sister applied for them):

Mailed two sets of concurrent I-130/I-485/I-765/I-130 (one for each parent) to Vermont on 6/25/07. Form specified that Maryland residents send it there.

07/12 : RD for I-130/I-485/I-765/I-130. Notice said all petitions were at National Benefits Center
07/19 : FP notice
08/04 : FP completed in Baltimore
09/03 : Rcvd notice saying that I-130/I-485 petitions were transferred to CA
09/07 : Recvd I-130 approval notice email

Does anyone have anything to share about what the next pattern of events we should expect?
I've been on trackitt.com but didn't see a column for I-130 approval date, and was wondering if there was any significance to it?

Thanks!

Anwering my own question, in case this helps anyone!! Both I-485s got the card-production-ordered message, 3 days after the I-130 was approved. No interview.

This is incredible. It looks like I-130/I-485 for parents of US citizens can be approved within 3-4 months?

The notary provides the translation. I submitted similiar doc for my I-485 too.

I didn't know they require a certification of no criminal history now from the home country as part of the I-485 filing. I thought the FBI fingerprint clearance should be enough. No?

Do you have to also provide an official translation for that too?
Just wondering..

The other check (355) was cashed on 10/10. We got notices for both I-130 and I-485.

9/10/2007, sent I-130 and I-485 on through priority mail.
10/5.2007, I-485 check cashed
9/30/2007, RD
10/4/2007, ND
10/10/2007, I-130 check cashed

Now I am crossing my fingers, hope it will go smooth.

The other check (355) was cashed on 10/10. We got notices for both I-130 and I-485.

9/10/2007, sent I-130 and I-485 on through priority mail.
10/5.2007, I-485 check cashed
9/30/2007, RD
10/4/2007, ND
10/10/2007, I-130 check cashed

Now I am crossing my fingers, hope it will go smooth.

gcforparents8:

Question for you since I don't understand much about your case. Initially, you've posted that your parents's I94 expired April 2004. See post #1277.

That's couple of years ago.
Are you sure that ok to file GC for them if they've overstayed?

I was concerned before. But it looks like it doesn't matter. I have heard other people do that too. I thought there was a fee, so I asked the forum, thanks for the forum, I got answer from the forum saying there is no extra form or fee.

gcforparents8:

Question for you since I don't understand much about your case. Initially, you've posted that your parents's I94 expired April 2004. See post #1277.

That's couple of years ago.
Are you sure that ok to file GC for them if they've overstayed?

I was concerned before. But it looks like it doesn't matter. I have heard other people do that too. I thought there was a fee, so I asked the forum, thanks for the forum, I got answer from the forum saying there is no extra form or fee.

No fees for overstayed on non-immigrant visa and now applying for I-485?
Are you sure? I thought there is a fine one must pay.. something like a $1000 like that.