• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

GC address help - can't use planned address anymore and need to activate by Sunday

Hi all,

I have my activation trip on Thursday, but I found out last night that the address I was planning on having my green card sent to is no longer a viable option! I spent last night asking friends and family if they know anyone that I could have my GC sent to and no luck there. I know a winner from DV2020 and he said that he made an appointment with the US consulate and got the address changed to his address in the UK (where I live) and the GC was sent there, but I don't have that kind of time as I need to activate the GC by Sunday 29 Jan. I was hoping that I could change the GC address to my UK address when I enter the USA, but I don't know if this is possible.

I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me? Has anyone had a situation like this and resolved it?

Thanks so much!

In over 10 years of actively following the DV process, I have never heard of USCIS mailing the GC directly abroad. Considering USPS is not even authorized to forward the GC to another US address other than the originally listed address on the envelope, I find this information strangely interesting. Also considering they wouldn’t mail a re-entry permit directly to an applicant’s address abroad, and would instead send it to the US embassy in that country (which technically speaking is still a US territory) for the applicant to go pick up, I find this information doubly strangely interesting.

In over 10 years of actively following the DV process, I have never heard of USCIS mailing the GC directly abroad. Considering USPS is not even authorized to forward the GC to another US address other than the originally listed address on the envelope, I find this information strangely interesting. Also considering they wouldn’t mail a re-entry permit directly to an applicant’s address abroad, and would instead send it to the US embassy in that country (which technically speaking is still a US territory) for the applicant to go pick up, I find this information doubly strangely interesting.
Thanks for your response :) Yes, I was extremely surprised as well. My friend said that he made an appointment with the US Embassy in London and requested it and that they did it. I was under the same impression as you.

Do you have any advice re what I should do about the address situation?

Thanks so much!

You’ll have to keep searching for a trusted US based address is the only advice I can provide here. Friends of friends, maybe? Your DV2020 winner friend? Or their friend? Once you find one, you’ll update the delivery address at your POE.

You’ll have to keep searching for a trusted US based address is the only advice I can provide here. Friends of friends, maybe? Your DV2020 winner friend? Or their friend? Once you find one, you’ll update the delivery address at your POE.
Thanks Mom - in the happiest of happy news, I just had a friend of a friend come through and my relief is immense! :D Thanks again and hope you had a great day

Hi all,

I have my activation trip on Thursday, but I found out last night that the address I was planning on having my green card sent to is no longer a viable option! I spent last night asking friends and family if they know anyone that I could have my GC sent to and no luck there. I know a winner from DV2020 and he said that he made an appointment with the US consulate and got the address changed to his address in the UK (where I live) and the GC was sent there, but I don't have that kind of time as I need to activate the GC by Sunday 29 Jan. I was hoping that I could change the GC address to my UK address when I enter the USA, but I don't know if this is possible.

I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me? Has anyone had a situation like this and resolved it?

Thanks so much!
How long did it take to get the SSN in the end?