Fulbright mess.

Dub

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I have kind of a dilemma and am wondering what to do about it..

I am married to a USC. I have recently found out that I will be getting a scholarship to study in the US (Fulbright scholarship). In order to be eligible for the scholarship, it says that neither your parents nor your children can be USCs, but it doenst say anything about spouses being USCs. I applied for it, and got accepted.

On this scholarship, most students go through a J1 visa. But, since I am married to a USC, I don;t think I can get a J1. Or can I?

If I apply for a GC through my spouse, will I be stripped of the scholarship? Will they refuse to give it to me if they find out that I am married to a USC, (even though they never asked me if I was or not). Can you get a Fulbright scholarship if you apply for a GC? Does anyone have any idea what I should do and what the protocols are in this kind of situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fulbright usually has 2 years home residency requirement after the completion of the program. It's hard to get a waiver. If your long term plans are immigrating to US and you are already married to USC why would you want this scholarship anyway? GC holders have many more options to sponsor studies.

The people who are processing your application could answer your question about scholarship money and your ability or unability to get J1. I think because of the 2 years rule attached, you would be eligible to get J1 but not eligible to get GC until you get a waiver or complete the 2 year residency requirement.

Post the update on your case. It's an unsusual one.

It is known that J1 waivers based on no-objection are NOT granted if the person got a J1 through a Fulbright scholarship. If you get a J1 visa, you'll eventually have to leave the country for 2 years and being married to an American citizen won't be an excuse to get the waiver.

Dub said:
Hi. I have kind of a dilemma and am wondering what to do about it..

I am married to a USC. I have recently found out that I will be getting a scholarship to study in the US (Fulbright scholarship). In order to be eligible for the scholarship, it says that neither your parents nor your children can be USCs, but it doenst say anything about spouses being USCs. I applied for it, and got accepted.

On this scholarship, most students go through a J1 visa. But, since I am married to a USC, I don;t think I can get a J1. Or can I?

If I apply for a GC through my spouse, will I be stripped of the scholarship? Will they refuse to give it to me if they find out that I am married to a USC, (even though they never asked me if I was or not). Can you get a Fulbright scholarship if you apply for a GC? Does anyone have any idea what I should do and what the protocols are in this kind of situation?