1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forums have been moved to a new software. All data till march 30 has been moved over. You can start using them. You should be able to login with the same user IDs and passwords as on the old forums. The old forums will be available as ''read only" under forumarchive.immigration.com.
  3. Rajiv hosts a free community conference call every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394. Next call is on June 19, 2014.

from i-130 to i 485

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions – I-485 FAQ' started by noa21, Apr 19, 2012.

1. noa21

noa21 Registered Users (C)

hi everybody

my name is noa and i have a question i hope that i will find the answer here, now i'm in the USA as a student F-1 Visa and i have a sister who is an American citizen and when she take the American nationality she submit for me form I-130 and i took the a proofe for this so now could i submit form I-485 to take GC ? and how long i will stay to take it ?

my case # wac0709751932

thanks all
  2. BigJoe5

BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

The I-130 filing date became your priority date. As the sibling of a USC you are family-based 4th preference. This is shown as F4 on the Visa Bulletin. http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html [Go here and sign-up for e-mail alerts of the monthly Visa Bulletin.]

F4 will take at least a decade to become current on the visa bulletin. You may not file an I-485 unless a visa is available (priority date is "current" on the Visa Bulletin) AND you are in a lawful status.

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to remain in a lawful non-immigrant status long enough to file for adjustment based on your sister's I-130 for you.

It could be used in the future for consular processing.

You might have better luck pursuing an H1-B after you graduate and after you gain experience through work authorized while a student.

IF you get a work visa process started and the F4 becomes current, THEN you might be able to switch to the F4 petition.

In any event, it is likely to be a long process.

Study hard!