Form G-56. Second AOS interview Notice

bepositive2011

Registered Users (C)
My husband and I had a successful first interview in October/2011 which was said that would only be sent for final approval but the interview wasn't successful as we received a notice for the second interview 30 days from now.
The letter says to ask for an specific officer"it states the officer's name" + reason for appointment " I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident Or Adjust of Status, and/or Form I-130 petition for Alien Relative"
It says that interview may be videotaped and can take 2-4 hours, also bring all immigration documents and list of documents asked for 1st interview.
Now, here is the question. What should we expect?
Little background about first interview. Everything went well, we answered all the questions, she took my I-94, during the interview she answered a personal phone call which left us staring at her for at least five minutes, when she was done chatting she said that everything was ok and she was sending to her supervisor and we should her back from them in 30 days. She explained the temporary green card and that we should make sure to re-apply before expired for the permanent green card and said goodbye. Well, we didn't hear from them and we got a info pass for late December which we found out that our file was just sent to the supervisor the day before+ the person said that we should be patient because due to the holidays, all the processing would be slow. Now, Feb/2012 we get this letter to return. Of course, we are going but we couldn't possibly think why we are going back.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

My husband and I had a successful first interview in October/2011 which was said that would only be sent for final approval but the interview wasn't successful as we received a notice for the second interview 30 days from now.
The letter says to ask for an specific officer"it states the officer's name" + reason for appointment " I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident Or Adjust of Status, and/or Form I-130 petition for Alien Relative"
It says that interview may be videotaped and can take 2-4 hours, also bring all immigration documents and list of documents asked for 1st interview.
Little background about first interview. Everything went well, we answered all the questions, she took my I-94, during the interview she answered a personal phone call which left us staring at her for at least five minutes, when she was done chatting she said that everything was ok and she was sending to her supervisor and we should her back from them in 30 days. She explained the temporary green card and that we should make sure to re-apply before expired for the permanent green card and said goodbye. Well, we didn't hear from them and we got a info pass for late December which we found out that our file was just sent to the supervisor the day before+ the person said that we should be patient because due to the holidays, all the processing would be slow. Now, Feb/2012 we get this letter to return. Of course, we are going but we couldn't possibly think why we are going back.

Thank you!

Perhaps the Officer made mistakes that her supervisor is making her correct? It sounds like she may have been sloppy in addition to being unprofessional.

Sounds like an unprofessional I/O. You might also have been called back randomly for the second interview. Prepare prepare prepare!

Good luck.

Thank you!

Thank you for the response BigJoe and Ananga. It was super unprofessional/unusual from the IO but there is nothing we can do now besides getting all of our paperwork together again and returning for the interview :). I will keep you all posted of the outcome.

Sorry to hear that you got unprofessional treatment.

Did the letter says anythig about the reason? The officer name is same whom you met already or some other IO?
You might better be prepared for home visit too specially after looking at how they changed their decision suddenly.

Please share your interview experience. What is your DO, BTW?

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about the 2nd interview

Sorry to hear about the second interview and your IO's lack of professionalism. After my wife's interview, as we were packing up our things, our IO sighed and said 'just one more to go today.' The oddest thing is that our appointment was scheduled for 10:15AM and we were interviewed at about 11AM, so it's not like the IO was burning the midnight oil.

It seems there are mixed reports about whether G-56 is used for Stokes interviews (vs 797c). Not sure how good the info is, but I saw this post on VisaJourney from a user going by rrobin:

If the interview letter is addressed to the petitioner then it's most likely a stokes interview, but if the letter is addressed to the beneficiary then it could simply be a follow up interview. And what form did you receive for the interview? If it is I-797C then the interview was scheduled by NBC. If it is another form (like G-56) then the interview was scheduled your local office. The statement "The interview will be taped" itself does not mean that it is a stokes interview.

source: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/197187-a-second-interview-for-adjusting-status/

If there's a reasonable chance that you're being called back for a Stokes interview, it would make a lot of sense to hire an immigration attorney ASAP. On the other hand, BigJoe knows way more about this stuff, and if he's not concerned, then that's probably a good sign.

Do we have any experiences here having 2nd interview but it was not stokes ??

Please share your experiences...

Sorry to hear about the second interview and your IO's lack of professionalism. After my wife's interview, as we were packing up our things, our IO sighed and said 'just one more to go today.' The oddest thing is that our appointment was scheduled for 10:15AM and we were interviewed at about 11AM, so it's not like the IO was burning the midnight oil.

It seems there are mixed reports about whether G-56 is used for Stokes interviews (vs 797c). Not sure how good the info is, but I saw this post on VisaJourney from a user going by rrobin:

If the interview letter is addressed to the petitioner then it's most likely a stokes interview, but if the letter is addressed to the beneficiary then it could simply be a follow up interview. And what form did you receive for the interview? If it is I-797C then the interview was scheduled by NBC. If it is another form (like G-56) then the interview was scheduled your local office. The statement "The interview will be taped" itself does not mean that it is a stokes interview.

source: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/197187-a-second-interview-for-adjusting-status/

If there's a reasonable chance that you're being called back for a Stokes interview, it would make a lot of sense to hire an immigration attorney ASAP. On the other hand, BigJoe knows way more about this stuff, and if he's not concerned, then that's probably a good sign.

Who knows?

Hello Everyone,
We were advised to hire a lawyer just to make sure they will be professionals at this time. We spoke to a lawyer and she said that the reason that we already know the name of the person we have to ask for, that means that we will interviewed by a Supervisor. The Form G-56 is for appointments made by our local office. We are going back to the same office of the first interview and we have to bring all immigration documents and the additional ones that proves our marriage is bonafide. The Form G-56 was addressed to both of us and also states that the petitioner MUST be present at the interview.
The lawyer said that we will be separated and the fact that our first IO wasn't professional does not really matter right now. Well, we will be going back there and we will keep you posted of everything.

Thank you so much for all the help and information :)

Something I read on Visajourney

Good luck on the interview! It sounds like it will be helpful to have an attorney there.

Btw, I came across a thread on second interviews on Visajourney that might be helpful to you: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/173172-second-interview-notice/

The post from Steph0814 really caught my attention, especially this part:
Many immigrants have walked into this second interview unprepared and ignorant of the consequences of failure. The Stokes interview is not an interview to be attended without proper guidance. The only thing I can liken attending the interview unprepared with is an attempt to commit suicide. Success or failure at such an interview determines your future in the United States...​

On the average, you will be asked about 120 questions. I have attended one in which my clients were asked 232 questions. Surprisingly, we passed the test...​

A denial at the stokes interview is tantamount to issuance of a death penalty. The recipient of such has no hope of obtaining permanent residence status for life in the United States. Once a denial order is issued every subsequent petition filed by such beneficiary or on his/her behalf will be summarily denied. Such application could be through employer, brother or sister, another spouse or D.V. program. There seems to be no exception to this strict rule.​

Hello Everyone,
We were advised to hire a lawyer just to make sure they will be professionals at this time. We spoke to a lawyer and she said that the reason that we already know the name of the person we have to ask for, that means that we will interviewed by a Supervisor. The Form G-56 is for appointments made by our local office. We are going back to the same office of the first interview and we have to bring all immigration documents and the additional ones that proves our marriage is bonafide. The Form G-56 was addressed to both of us and also states that the petitioner MUST be present at the interview.
The lawyer said that we will be separated and the fact that our first IO wasn't professional does not really matter right now. Well, we will be going back there and we will keep you posted of everything.

Thank you so much for all the help and information :)

Stokes Outcome

So, is it really end of your American Dream if you fail OR not able to convince them at the stokes interview?

What could be the different outcomes of a stokes interview, and what can be done in those scenerios?

Good luck on the interview! It sounds like it will be helpful to have an attorney there.

Btw, I came across a thread on second interviews on Visajourney that might be helpful to you: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/173172-second-interview-notice/

The post from Steph0814 really caught my attention, especially this part:
Many immigrants have walked into this second interview unprepared and ignorant of the consequences of failure. The Stokes interview is not an interview to be attended without proper guidance. The only thing I can liken attending the interview unprepared with is an attempt to commit suicide. Success or failure at such an interview determines your future in the United States...​

On the average, you will be asked about 120 questions. I have attended one in which my clients were asked 232 questions. Surprisingly, we passed the test...​

A denial at the stokes interview is tantamount to issuance of a death penalty. The recipient of such has no hope of obtaining permanent residence status for life in the United States. Once a denial order is issued every subsequent petition filed by such beneficiary or on his/her behalf will be summarily denied. Such application could be through employer, brother or sister, another spouse or D.V. program. There seems to be no exception to this strict rule.​

Its an exaggeration. Now don't get me wrong, failing the Stokes will put you in a world of hurt however you will have an opportunity to appear before an Immigration Court where USCIS's decision can be overturned.

But you don't want to go down that route of heartache, attorney fees, wasted time etc.

Nail the Stokes!

So, is it really end of your American Dream if you fail OR not able to convince them at the stokes interview?

What could be the different outcomes of a stokes interview, and what can be done in those scenerios?

Interview canceled. Waiting

Ok everyone! My second interview was canceled. The local office left a msg saying that it was canceled and will be reeschedule and I should wait for letter with new date in the mail. They did not give any reason for canceling and the voice msg was very confusing. Does anyone knows what it may means without exageration? Sounds like more waiting for us ugh!!!!

Ok everyone! My second interview was canceled. The local office left a msg saying that it was canceled and will be reeschedule and I should wait for letter with new date in the mail. They did not give any reason for canceling and the voice msg was very confusing. Does anyone knows what it may means without exageration? Sounds like more waiting for us ugh!!!!

A voice msg ?? I never heard about a voice msg from USCIS?? can you explain?

Frustrating!!!

A voice msg ?? I never heard about a voice msg from USCIS?? can you explain?

Yes, a voice msg! I missed the call from the local office and the lady left a msg saying that my interview was canceled and I should wait for letter rescheduling in the mail. Everyone thinks is strange, including us. Luckily I got an info pass to find out if is true or not + called the 1800 number and they think that I didn't show up for first interview(they have no updates since the letter they sent for first interview). According to the person from the 1800 number, is up to the local office to make the updates to them after they send the first interview letter BUT clearly is not my case. My case is officially 6 months out of regular processing time+got my second interview canceled by voice msg with no reason. oh well, going to local office with info pass for the second time...hopefully they can tell me something concrete other than 'your case is still pending, make another info pass appointment if you don't hear from us in 30days'

Yes, a voice msg! I missed the call from the local office and the lady left a msg saying that my interview was canceled and I should wait for letter rescheduling in the mail. Everyone thinks is strange, including us. Luckily I got an info pass to find out if is true or not + called the 1800 number and they think that I didn't show up for first interview(they have no updates since the letter they sent for first interview). According to the person from the 1800 number, is up to the local office to make the updates to them after they send the first interview letter BUT clearly is not my case. My case is officially 6 months out of regular processing time+got my second interview canceled by voice msg with no reason. oh well, going to local office with info pass for the second time...hopefully they can tell me something concrete other than 'your case is still pending, make another info pass appointment if you don't hear from us in 30days'

This is really weird. What happened next?

Form G 56 after the first interview.

Thank you!

I had my first interview, also two months ago, it did not las for 15 minutes. I had filed forms I-130, and I-485, my husband signed it but then he died before we went to the interview. i went to the interview and the officer had no idea that my husband was dead. after the first interview i received a G-56 two days ago and they want me to go for another interview in two weeks. the officer is asking for the same documents i have already submitted and in the letter they want me to ask for the officer who interviewed me the first time. i had gone to the interview by myself the first time, now what should i expect and why am i going for the second interview? and what is G-56 form, i am confused and dont know what is going on, ANY HELP?????

Help please

I had my first interview, also two months ago, it did not las for 15 minutes. I had filed forms I-130, and I-485, my husband signed it but then he died before we went to the interview. i went to the interview and the officer had no idea that my husband was dead. after the first interview i received a G-56 two days ago and they want me to go for another interview in two weeks. the officer is asking for the same documents i have already submitted and in the letter they want me to ask for the officer who interviewed me the first time. i had gone to the interview by myself the first time, now what should i expect and why am i going for the second interview? and what is G-56 form, i am confused and dont know what is going on, ANY HELP????? SHOULD I GO WITH AN ATTORNEY?? i have only 10 days to go. please guys tell me more about this situation.

The G-56 is a General Call In Letter that is requesting you to bring additional evidence. If you can afford it and want to go with an attorney, do so. If your marriage was genuine and you had good evidence, I would not spend money on a lawyer.

In order to reap these new advantages of § 204(l), the alien beneficiary seeking the benefit must have resided in the U.S when the qualifying relative died, continue to reside in the U.S. on the date of the decision on the pending petition or application, and be a:

beneficiary of a pending or approved immediate relative visa petition;
principal and derivative beneficiary of a pending or approved family-based petition;
derivatives of a pending or approved employment-based petition;
beneficiary of a pending or approved refugee/asylee petition; or
a derivative of a T or U visa nonimmigrant.

USCIS allows the alien to prove they were residents of the U.S. at the time of death even if they were not physically present at the time of the death of the “qualifying relative” and requires that only one beneficiary meet the residency requirement in order to approve the petition.

So exactly what does all this mean? Under 204(l), if all elements are met, USCIS officers can now approve a pending petition even if the qualifying relative has died.

A widow of a US citizen or LPR doesn't even need an approved petition. If they were married for at least two years when the US citizen or LPR spouse died then they can self-petition, as long as they submit the petition within two years of the spouse's death and they don't remarry.

http://coyotelegal.com/2011/07/16/d...ry-and-what-it-means-for-surviving-relatives/

Last edited by a moderator: