For all of us with an Interview date in June-July

Hmm, I don't remember if I did...

I got my card today!!! YAY
It expires in 2 years =( I remember reading of people that got it for many more years, I guess i'll get the longer one after we apply for the unconditional one.

Godoluck on your interview Patty!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ,

My card came today and it is for 10 years ,yay ! No more USCIS for 3 years
Thanks again for all the useful advice and good luck to all that are going thru the process. Remember, as long as everything is legit, there is nothing to worry about.

P/S : good luck to you patty. Hope everything go well with your interview.

payala said:
I got my card today!!! YAY
It expires in 2 years =( I remember reading of people that got it for many more years, I get i'll get the longer one after we apply for the unconditional one.
congrats! and you can apply for citizenship in 2 yrs and 9 months and then forever forget about it extending GC :p

I haven't checked this site for a while now n it's been going really-really fast. I'm very surprised to see the development and a few crazy stories here and there.
First I'd like to say congrats to people that got approved (like payala, usc, etc). And it's so disgusting to read about the "immigration intent" discussion. I'd like to thank Johny Cash to ever bring it up though because I myself never thought about it. I probably have kinda similar situation as Patty, we lived together from Jul 05 til now, got married May 06, but I went back home for 5 weeks in Nov-Dec 05. That got me thinking of changing our story a little bit if asked by IO.
Immigration keeps changing their rules so rapidly, it's so hard to keep up sometimes. I remember back then when I married my first husband in '96, they had no such a thing as 'wife visa', they only have 'fiance visa' or 'tourist' so I ended up with a continuous 'tourist visa' (B1/B2) from the time we came home after my F-1 visa til now. I was always wondering why they acknowledge 'fiance' and 'tourist', but not 'SPOUSE'???
And now with 'immigration intent', that makes Patty, me and others that have similar situation worried. We actually have a genuine marriage!!! but because of the so-called 'immigration intent', we can be denied???? How can they have a probability of denying us, when they can even forgive people who overstay, who obviously violated immigration rules!!! They might even come up with a new regulation about forgiving illegal immigrants!!! That is so ridicilous. In the mean time I also know a gay guy that got married to his USC best friend, and got granted green card less than a year back. We can't be punished from WHEN we met our spouses and that we don't want to get separated to get that FIANCE or SPOUSE VISA for months! We tried that for 5 weeks when I went back home to see my daughter, it was horrible!
I hope IOs will see past 'immigration intent' and actually pay more attention to how genuine the marriage is. I'd like to see your posting after the interview Patty. I see you have an interview coming up, good luck! And also good luck to others who will have interviews coming up as well. Keep this forum alive!

Preconceived intent" and immediate relatives

I found this on Ron Gotcher's website that might be of some help to people.

Preconceived intent" and immediate relatives.

The question often arises “May an ‘immediate relative’ of a United States citizen apply for adjustment of status shortly after arriving in the United States?” The answer is yes. This matter has been considered by the Board of Immigration Appeals and resolved in favor of applicants.

BIA decisions are, by law, binding upon all CIS officers. In an important precedent decision, Matter of Cavazos, 17 I&N Dec. 216 (BIA 1980), the Board of Immigration Appeals reviewed a matter in which an application for adjustment of status had been denied because of “pre-conceived intent.” In that case, the applicant entered the United States and, that same day, married a United States citizen. He was put into deportation proceedings as an overstay and he applied for adjustment of status. The immigration judge denied the adjustment application on the basis that the applicant had the pre-conceived intent to immigrate to the United States when he entered as a nonimmigrant. The Board reviewed the facts of the case on appeal and reversed the judge’s holding.

The BIA first noted with approval the policy of the former INS to waive this basis for denial in the absence of any other negative factors. The Board held:

“We believe, however, that the policy manifest in the Instruction, i.e., to favor immediate relatives seeking a grant of adjustment of status by essentially negating preconceived intent as an adverse factor in meritorious cases , may appropriately be adopted by the immigration judge and the Board in exercising discretion on applications for relief under section 245.

The finding of preconceived intent was the only negative factor cited by the immigration judge in denying the respondent’s adjustment application and no additional adverse matters are apparent in the record. A significant equity is presented by the respondent’s United States citizen wife and child. We conclude that a grant of adjustment of status is warranted in this case and will sustain the appeal . . .”

Subsequently, this holding has been cited with approval by the BIA in similar cases.

Essentially, in the absence of any serious negative factors, this holding stands for the proposition that “preconceived intent” is a legally insufficient reason to deny adjustment of status to an immediate relative of a US citizen.

I hope this helps someone in some why.

Regards

HRH

HRH,

thanks so much, that is very reassuring. Do you have the link to that website? Who is that guy?

Pipitastro, I think there is a Spouse Visa, it's K3, but it's for when people got married in a foreign country, I think. Not sure.
Let's just hope that all they want is to see that you are a genuine couple. There are a couple of people here on a B Visa, who got approved.
Did you know your husband before you entered the country the first time?
I wish you all the best of luck, and I will keep you informed about my case.

Good luck! :)

patty579 said:
HRH,

thanks so much, that is very reassuring. Do you have the link to that website? Who is that guy?

Pipitastro, I think there is a Spouse Visa, it's K3, but it's for when people got married in a foreign country, I think. Not sure.
Let's just hope that all they want is to see that you are a genuine couple. There are a couple of people here on a B Visa, who got approved.
Did you know your husband before you entered the country the first time?
I wish you all the best of luck, and I will keep you informed about my case.

Good luck! :)

Patty, yea they do have that 'spouse' visa now, but they didn't have it back then. I guess they were thinking, "duh, why haven't we thought about that?"
Well I came here Feb '05 for the first time after my daughter was born, actually bringing her (n my mom) to see her grandparents. They left after a month. I stayed back, met my husband May '05, became inseparable n started living together July '05. But I went home for 5 weeks in Nov '05 (which I got my B1/B2 extension, so total visiting the US = 9 months). But in G325A, I put the same address as my husband since Dec 2005 (when I came back to the US). Ughhh, I guess we're gonna find out sooner or later... I'll watch for your postings... good luck to us all...

They stamped my passport...

They stamped my passport
Hey All, Just FYI, I had my interview yesterday morning @ 9am in Garden City. The intervew was short and the officer told me to go wait downstairs and he'll send my passport downstairs stamped.

It's stamped for a year and they said i'll get my card in 3 weeks...

Thanks to all and I'll have prayers for all of u.

Approved in San Francisco

Hooray! We were approved today for my Greencard.

Petitioner : My hubby
Applicant : Me
Interview time : 8.30am

We arrived in the area about 7.30am and found 2 hour free parking about three blocks from the office. We stopped at Starbucks and we saw about 20 people waiting in line to get in.

About 8.05am, we stood at the entrance. Security guy checked our paperwork and circled “do no arrive 45 minutes before the interview”. We went to the 2nd floor and checked in with the reception. Was told to wait in Section D.

Around 8.35am, a lady immigration officer called my name. She swore us in and told us to sit down.

She asked for the following:
1. DL, SSN, Passport, EAD (checked each passport page and removed I-94)
2. Asked hubby for my DOB
3. Asked me for hubby’s DOB
4. Confirmed my name and asked me when I entered the US, and for all my H1-B approvals.
5. Asked my hubby when we met, how we met and when we dated.
6. Asked for both our work status and for paystubs and letter of employment
7. Asked for joint documents (provided bank statements, deed of house etc)
8. Asked if I am a member of any clubs or associations
9. Asked the standard crime and fines question.
10. Asked for wedding pictures and she asked if she could take two. She asked who were in the pictures.(mostly family)

She then left to take some copies of my H1-B approvals.

At 9.05am, she returned original documents and kept EAD. She said “at this point, you are approved” ..:) and congratulated us.

I asked if I get a stamp in my passport and she said GC should arrive in two weeks and asked if we were planning any travel. We said no.

I asked about coming back in two years and she said when the GC arrives, to read it and send in any requested documents and hopefully we don’t need another interview.

She then walked us out.

All in all, it was great. Thank you everyone for your insights and help!!
:)

Approved in PHX, AZ

We are also approved yesterday. Thanks for everybody here.

We waited in the lobby for more than 2 hours. A very nice officer finally called us in and the interview was going ok. As I thought, he asked us lots of questions about our tax returns and sponsership. But he is very assured after I showed him my Scholarship statement for my whole another 3.5 years in gradute school. That piece of paper saved my life:)

Then we were asked some other questions as mentioned in this forum, like bank statement, pictures, lease, utility bills and so on until The officer said enough..

Funny thing is I still didnt get my EAD card even it was approved on June 12th and the card was mailed on July 7th.

As I observed while waiting, other couples sitting in the lobby have different experience. One poor wife andd poor husband was interviewed together first, then only husband, then only wife, then together, then husband again, back and forth for a really long time.Hope they got approved. Some couples had long interviews also. Looks like being a border city as Phoenix is tough;)

My wife said she felt cold inside while interviewing, so I hugged her for a while, which made our office smiled, FUN. So, bring a jacket if you are not sure if the AC in the office is strong. But it was extremly hot outside under the Sun city's sun

Anyways. my wife and I was very happy after we got approved. Life keeps going towards. God Bless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stamp in a different DO?

Hi,

Let me share our wonderful experience a couple of days ago:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1468663#post1468663

Does anyone know if it is okay to schedule an Infopass appt. in a different district office, in another state? My passport did not get stamped. The officer said I need to get an infopass appointment to get that. We will relocate very soon and may not have the chance to get an Infopass in the Los Angeles DO.

:confused:

Thank you for everybody's insights and what not. They all helped.

We were approved yesterday. The only thing we had to get out of our bags were out ids --- i had my passport my husband had his driver's license and 3 bank statements. That's it. We were so happy leaving that room.

Word of advice: it's never a bad idea to come overprepared. up until the last minute, we were anxious that we didn't have that much evidences to back our marriage up. But it turns out, how we carried ourselves in the interview got us through. :)

I remember telling ym husband that I'm getting nervous more as the time of the interview was approaching. He squeezed my hand and told me that there's not point in being nervious. And that's when all my nervousness vanished. :)

More regarding our interview on this post: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=222481