First time GC traveller

grundland

Registered Users (C)
Just about to visit the home country (UK) for the first time since getting my Green Card. Any idea what forms to fill in on the flight home, and do I just go through the same lines at Immigration that the Americans do?

Hello,

You would require a re-entry permit(a travel document) as you are a Green Card holder. File for the re-entry permit at least 3 months in advance. This will alow you to come back to the US. It is good for two years.

grundland said:
Just about to visit the home country (UK) for the first time since getting my Green Card. Any idea what forms to fill in on the flight home, and do I just go through the same lines at Immigration that the Americans do?

jonty said:
Hello,

You would require a re-entry permit(a travel document) as you are a Green Card holder. File for the re-entry permit at least 3 months in advance. This will alow you to come back to the US. It is good for two years.
jonty,
He is just visiting his home country. If you are aGC holder, you can stay out of US for 11 months. You do not need a re-entry if you are not going to stay out of US for more than 11 months.

Yep, you don't need a re-entry permit if you are going to come back within 11 months. And there is only one form to fill on your flight back: The white customs form. And walk up and join the queue where citizens of your resident country(USA) are standing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will also be a first time traveller after recieving my GC.
Does anyone know what I need to do with the white I-94 still attached to my passport? Will the airline staff remove it when I depart?

speedbird said:
I will also be a first time traveller after recieving my GC.
Does anyone know what I need to do with the white I-94 still attached to my passport? Will the airline staff remove it when I depart?

Yeah, just give it to them on your way out.

You just fill out the blue custom form (that you must give it to the POE as well, s/he will stamp it) and then you give it to the custom official. That is the only form that you fill out and is one per family, the airline will give it to you during the flight.

Ok. I have a question, guys.
Since the OP was talking about first time travel, you indeed has a I-94 before you leave US if it was not collected at the interview. Then you can hand out the I-94 before departure and therefore the USCIS may have a record of the date on which you leave the country. But what about afterwards? No I-94 the second, the third, and ... time. If there is no way that the USCIS knows when you left the country, then how can they know how long you have stayed out of the country? And then why do you even need to apply for the re-entry permit if indeed you are planning to stay out of the country for more than 12 months?
I guess everybody is SUPPOSED to tell the truth, but still there got to be a record somewhere that tells the USCIS when you left the country. Right?

thundering said:
I guess everybody is SUPPOSED to tell the truth, but still there got to be a record somewhere that tells the USCIS when you left the country. Right?

Sure there is - if you leave the US by air your name, DOB, etc are passed to DHS, and if you leave by land to Canada the Canadians pass this information to DHS.

cheerus said:
Yep, you don't need a re-entry permit if you are going to come back within 11 months. And there is only one form to fill on your flight back: The white customs form. And walk up and join the queue where citizens of your resident country(USA) are standing :)

I thought the cut-off date is within 6 months. Where do you read about the 11 months thing, please direct me to the site? Thank you.

charts said:
Thanks for the link, it helps. so by 11 months, you actually mean less than one year? I asked because I don't see the 11 months on the site.
Exactly. To be on safe side.

Hi, guys,
If I travel on AP (GC pending name check), do I still need to fill in I-94? And do I use the visitor line or the Citizen/PR line? Thanks!