First time entry on H1B - Do's & Dont's on Port of Entry -

dshroff

Hello Experts,

I am entering on H1B for the first time in US. These may be dumb questions but wanted your advice on following points -

1) What documents should I keep handy to show to immigration officer ? original or photocopy of I797 ... any other document ?

2) Is original I797 retained by immigration officer or is returned back to us ?

3) I will be issued I94... so do I need to check anything specific on I94 before comming out of the airport ?

4) Do I need to ensure or check some specific stamp in passport before comming out of the airport ?

5) Do immigration officers ask any specific questions that I should be prepared to answer ?

6) Do I need to show my offer letter and certificates to immigration officer ?

7) Any other points that I should be careful of ?

Your suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks.

dshroff said:
1) What documents should I keep handy to show to immigration officer ? original or photocopy of I797 ... any other document ?

2) Is original I797 retained by immigration officer or is returned back to us ?

3) I will be issued I94... so do I need to check anything specific on I94 before comming out of the airport ?

4) Do I need to ensure or check some specific stamp in passport before comming out of the airport ?

5) Do immigration officers ask any specific questions that I should be prepared to answer ?

6) Do I need to show my offer letter and certificates to immigration officer ?

7) Any other points that I should be careful of ?

Your suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks.
1. H1 visa stamp. Officer nowaday asks I-797 too, so carry I-797 too.
2. It will be returned to you.
3. Check expiration date is matching your petition.
4. I have never checked, but probably better to check the date on stamp.
5. Most likely they ask which employer are you working for.
6. They won't ask, but good to carry letter from employer just in case.
7. Be honest.

Thanks GotPR.

Small query.

Expiry date put on I94 should be same as petition exipry date or should it be 3 years from the date of actual entry ?

Correct me if I am wrong but petition expiry date is 3 years from the date of petition approval. So if someone is entering US after say 6 months after the petition approval then his I94 expiry date will be 2.5 years from the date of actual enrty.... is it ?

And if that is so then after 2.5 years will the person have to renew I94 till the full expiry of H1B ( which is 3 years from the date of entry )?

Can you clarify ?

Thanks.

dshroff said:
Thanks GotPR.

Small query.

Expiry date put on I94 should be same as petition exipry date or should it be 3 years from the date of actual entry ?

Correct me if I am wrong but petition expiry date is 3 years from the date of petition approval. So if someone is entering US after say 6 months after the petition approval then his I94 expiry date will be 2.5 years from the date of actual enrty.... is it ?

And if that is so then after 2.5 years will the person have to renew I94 till the full expiry of H1B ( which is 3 years from the date of entry )?

Can you clarify ?

Thanks.
petition expiration date is the end of authorized H1 period which must be put on I-94.
You must renew I-94 before I-94 gets expired irrespective of H1 period stated on the approved petition(usually expiration of I-94 and H1 petition match if you show the petition at POE.