Fingerprinting related FAQs

jigesh

Registered Users (C)
There has been a lot of anxiety over the fingerprinting issues lately. I compiled following questions from various FAQs of this website. The answers are sometimes CSC-centric, but hopefully will be informative to others as well.

Q-1:What if I want to reschedule my appointment?

Follow the rescheduling instructions listed on the fingerprint notification you received.

Q-2:What if I have been scheduled but my spouse and/or children have not been scheduled?

The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (“BCIS”, the new name for INS) uses a national scheduler computer generated system to schedule fingerprint appointments and it is possible that not all family members will be scheduled at the same time. We recommend that you wait and see if the appointment notices for your spouse and /or child(ren) arrive in the mail before your appointment date. If they do not, we suggest that your family members accompany you to the appointment. It is possible that the BCIS Application Support Center (ASC) will agree to take their fingerprints on the same day even though they do not have appointment notices. Be sure to take the I-485 receipt notices, photo identification (e.g., passports) and evidence of relationship (e.g., birth or marriage certificate) for family dependents with you. If ASC refuses to take the prints and/or your family members have still not received appointment notices for their own fingerprints, please contact our office and we will begin the inquiry process to have them scheduled.

Q-3:I have been scheduled for another fingerprint appointment although I have already had my fingerprints taken, do I still have to appear?

The BCIS notice indicates that you can disregard this appointment notice if you were fingerprinted within the last 90 days. Based on our experience, we believe that you should not disregard this notice even if you were recently fingerprinted. The BCIS uses a national scheduling system for fingerprint appointments and often times there are problems with the system. There have also been occasions when the FBI results were not properly relayed to your file with the BCIS. Therefore, it is better to return to the ASC to determine if your prints have “cleared” or if new prints are required.

Q-4:Can I go in and have my fingerprints taken before the date specified on my appointment notice?

You can try, but the ASC may refuse because normally they only fingerprint individuals who have appointments at the specified appointment time. However, some of our clients have been successful in being fingerprinted earlier than their scheduled appointment. Please note that the BCIS may not fingerprint you and if they do not, you will have wasted several hours at the ASC. Therefore, we recommend that you appear only on your scheduled appointment date and time.

Q-5:If I am unable to appear at the ASC assigned, can I go to another one? If so, how do I locate another ASC nearest my residence?

BCIS prefers that you to appear at the ASC which has been assigned to you. However, you may try to be fingerprinted at another ASC. Although the alternative ASC may not accept you, we have had clients who have successfully managed to have their fingerprints taken at an ASC which was different from the one listed on the fingerprint notice.

Q-6:I have been scheduled for another fingerprint appointment although I have already had my fingerprints taken, do I still have to appear?

The BCIS notice indicates that you can disregard this appointment notice if you were fingerprinted within the last 90 days. Based on our experience, we believe that you should not disregard this notice even if you were recently fingerprinted. The BCIS uses a national scheduling system for fingerprint appointments and often times there are problems with the system. There have also been occasions when the FBI results were not properly relayed to your file with the BCIS. Therefore, it is better to return to the ASC to determine if your prints have “cleared” or if new prints are required.

Q-7:For how long are fingerprints valid?

Fingerprints are valid for 15 months. If an I-485 application is pending beyond this period, BCIS will issue a new notice for the applicant to appear at an Application Support Center (ASC) office to be fingerprinted.

Q-8:If my fingerprints expire, can you contact the Service Center and ask them to reschedule me for new fingerprints?

The BCIS has advised us that this will be in the hands of the officer assigned to adjudicate your application and that we cannot request a new fingerprinting appointment. If the adjudication officer determines that the fingerprints have expired, s/he will order that a date be set to schedule a new fingerprint appointment. On a system-wide level, the CSC has stated that it is working on identifying applicants with expired fingerprints in order to schedule new fingerprint appointments. However, there is no guarantee that this will happen. Please note that there is currently no mechanism for attorneys or their clients to alert the CSC and request new fingerprint appointments. None of the other Service Centers have indicated that they will take any such action.

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, good work Jigesh

There is a discrepancy with regards to 15 month rule. the iio told me that it is determined by officer if you will need a 2nd one or not. The 15 month expiration is not written down in ink.
This probably explains why some lucky people get approved even though the FP has expired.

I tend to agree with the views expressed by ag28 - it seems arbitary whether you need a second FP if the first one has expired. I do recall seeing some approvals where they did not have the 2nd FP.

My guess is that when the officer looks at the case, he decides whether or not to ask for a second FP if the first FP has expired. Perhaps he decides based on other inputs. If the applicant's other reports - such as employment record, address etc show stability, maybe he won't bother with a renewed FP report.

Thanks for a very informative posting Jigesh.

MeraNaamJoker,

Even if the IIOs have the authority not to issue FP2 , it may debatable how often the IIO would use this authority.

The question is if IIOs have the authority to prevent FP2 , why are they chasing and approving Jun-02 cases to avoid FP2s ?

Another Q for the FAQ

What happens if you are unable to take the FP on the scheduled date or any time soon. For example the notice comes the day you leave for a 2 month vacation ??

What happens if you are unable to take the FP on the scheduled date or any time soon.

According to the FAQs from the same website: (Also added this question to the first post of this thread.)

Q-1:What if I want to reschedule my appointment?

Follow the rescheduling instructions listed on the fingerprint notification you received.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like to see one approval with no 2nd fp and with 16 months pass the first fp, could some one point the link to me

Thank you jigesh for your excellent inputs

I would like to share some information about fingerprint quoted from the I-485 Standard Operating Procedure (09/28/01). This is not to be taken as an authoratative statement. But I advise people be cautious about the time frame of appearing for FP.

Quote:

Fingerprints are a requirement for all applicants 14 through 79 years old to determine if they have criminal histories.

Fingerprint Response Purge: The INS has established a 120-day waiting period from the date of the fingerprint scheduling to allow applicants to submit fingerprints. When an applicant fails to appear for fingerprinting or a response is not received within that 120-day period, and the applicant has otherwise not advised of INS of a change of address or requested that he be rescheduled, the case must be denied for abandonment.

At the time of adjudication, the file will contain a screen print of either FBI Query or the CLAIMS-based MRD Fingerprint Tracking System to indicate the present status of the fingerprint checks. .. The response is valid for 15 months from the date the FBI processed the fingerprints. A definitive response from the FBI regarding fingerprint clearances is required before the application can be approved or transferred to the local office for interview.

FBI response description:

If the FBI Response Description is
NON-IDENT or IDENT 1) and the (FP) date processed by FBI is less than 12 months old, route the file to Work Load Distribution; 2) and the (FP) date processed by FBI is more than 12 months but less than 15 months, route the file to INS and process as an expedite; 3) and the (FP) date processed by FBI is more than 15 months, annotate the worksheet and return the file to the monthly hold shelf for rescheduling.

the (FP) date processed by FBI is more than 12 months but less than 15 months, route the file to INS and process as an expedite;

This is the reason why people whose FP1 is about to get expired would possibly get approved.

Ink vs. Ink-less fingerprinting

Gurus,

Please share if the paper-and-ink vs. inkless fingerprinting take the same or different time. I am in the TSC area and some local centers I hear do only the ink type fingerprinting.

How much time does it take for this type to clear ? Mine is scheduled shortly after the holidays. Thank you.

What about 3rd FP issue? I did the 2nd FP 6months ago, I received 3rd FP notice last week, should I go to INS to do the 3rd FP or not?
Thanks