Fingerprinting Notice Strangeness!

GC_TRAP

Registered Users (C)
So, I work in San Francisco and have applied for my naturalization in the first week of April. The ASC and USCIS office is no more than half a mile from my office. First, I do not get a fingerprinting notice for well over 30 days. So I call USCIS. I'm asked to wait another 15 days. On day 14 I get an e-mail that I'm scheduled for an FP in less than 10 days (next Thursday) at an ASC that is about 18 miles away and not easily accessible by public transportation. I do not drive to work.

What could this mean? USCIS giving me the run around and unnecessary harrassment, or there really may be a good reason to schedule it far from my work location?

What are my options? Can I still try my luck at San Fran ASC as early as tomorrow or next Tuesday by giving them an excuse of unavailabilty on the actual date of FP that's on the notice?

Thanks,
GC_TRAP

There's no conspiracy here and they arent trying to make your life living hell. Just do what you're told. If you call them and try and change, obviously it will add to your time.

In my case, they sent me to an ASC in Chicago which was a 2.5 hour drive although the Milwaukee ASC was just 1 hour away. I did not suspect anything at that time, but it turned out later that for some reason my address was wrong in their database and they thought that I live in Chicago. This happened during my greencard process and my greencard was actually delivered to that wrong Chicago address :(

So just for a sanity check for your case, I would call them and verify that they have your correct address in their database.

From what I understand, you can have your FPs taken at any ASC. When you get your notice, try doing a walk-in at the ASC that's close to your office. I bet they'll process you without any issues.

They probably assigned you to an ASC based on your place of RESIDENCE, not work. Try to do a walk-in as suggested. You'll probably be allowed to. If it doesn't work, you can always go elsewhere. You can try to go early, too, or eve after your appointment date. Definitely check to see whether your address was updated prior to you sending in your N400. Only an AR-11 will change your address in the system.

I will try as suggested!

Thank you all for your replies. It is truly appreciated.

I will try to do a walk-in Tuesday or Wednesday in San Fran ASC and if it works, I'm good. If not, then I'll figure a way out to go to my assigned ASC.

GC_TRAP, have you tried the walk-in? What happened? I'm thinking of doing it too if that's possible; not because of distance, but to do it sooner.
Thanks,
Crazy57

The walk-in was a few days before my actual FP interview date. It was a total breeze, I had prepared to come up with an excuse like a hard-to-get doctor's appt on the FP date, but no questions asked, 15 minutes in and out...I was stunned by SF's ASC efficiency...wow is the word.

You should be able to go any day, and depending on how busy they are, they should be able to FP you without any problems, Just make sure it's in the same state or jurisdiction.

Good luck!