Finally done

srimango

Registered Users (C)
We had our oath ceremony on 8/19. It was well organized. Took about 2 Hours (the actual process is less than 30 minutes).

My questions now are:

1. How do you update your DL (which is what is used by the supervisor of elections to register for voting)
2. Do I have to update the SSN?

Once I get my OCI, I would be done officially

Thanks y'all

Updating your status

I don't know about updating your records with DMV. I am sure you could call your local DMV and get some information on how to update your local status with them.

Secondly, as far as updating your profile/record with SSA, you can stop by at your nearest SSA office and have them change your status in their system. I went to the SSA office last week. They would like to see your natz certificate or your US Passport (Proof of citizenship) and your valid picture id such as your driv license or your passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there has been change of status after receiving SSN (e.g. from PR to USC), I would stop by at SSA and have them update their records.

Voter registration

Then how do you register to vote? In Florida at least, they asked for me to fill the form with the DL number in it? When verifying the DL, would it not show that I am a GC holder (since I provided my GC as a proof while getting my DL renewed and they took a copy of it too) and hence would not be registered?

The lady at the desk was completely clueless. If nothing, I had to call the supervisor of elections to get this cleared. In the meantime, I am checking whether someone here knows anything about it.

Then how do you register to vote? In Florida at least, they asked for me to fill the form with the DL number in it? When verifying the DL, would it not show that I am a GC holder (since I provided my GC as a proof while getting my DL renewed and they took a copy of it too) and hence would not be registered?
When they took a copy of your GC at the DMV, it was for verifying with USCIS. They didn't accept the GC itself at face value, they gave you a white paper to carry for 30 days first, right?. Similarly, for voter registration if they check your citizenship status they will verify with USCIS. Just go ahead and register and you will be fine.

http://election.dos.state.fl.us/voter-registration/voter-reg.shtml

Last edited by a moderator: