Filing taxes as non-resident

I've not read most of the comments written by people -- but the question specifically asks about state and local taxes as well.

In my case, I filed as a non-resident for state taxes one year. So I said yes and attached an explanation sheet that said that I moved. I also had my accountant write me a letter (which I did not file) -- I plan to bring this to the interview in case there's a hassle.

I spoke informally with two immigration lawyers and they both said that should not be an issue. I filed the N-400 by myself.

The Non Resident Question is asked in context of Continious Residence (physically present in the US over 6 months in a given year).

And the question's prefix is "Since becoming a Lawful PR have of the US, have you..."

CIS wants to make sure you did not continue filing 1040NR (filed by people on a EAD/F1/H1/L1/B1 visa).
As far as immigration is concerned how does it matter if you , filed resident taxes in one state and non resident in another ? As long as you pay tax where you work, they dont care!!

Unless the form has changed, it's pretty explicit.

Look at Page 7. Part C, #13

Since becoming a LPR of the US, have you EVER called yourself a "nonresident" on a Federal, state, or local tax return?

While I agree that Federal is the relevant thing, the question specifically asks about state and local returns.

I decided to answer "yes" in my situation and attach an explanation sheet. If needed, I'll back this all up with a letter from my accountant.

"Non-Resident" refers to "Non-Resident ALIEN" and not "Non-Resident/Part-Year Resident filer".

You can claim excemptions on state tax returns (in some states) by claiming to be a Non-Resident Alien. Thats what it is.