Filing H-4 extension by self

sridharpv

Hi,

Is it possible to file for extension of H-4 by self, without taking the help of attorney ? Are there any known ramifications of this ? I will need to get my wife's H-4 extended, and am wondering about this.

Thanks,
Sridhar

fill up the form I-539 (your wife need to sign it)
send the USCIS fees $140 (after april 30 add extra 55 fee is changed after april 30)
attach copy of your wife I-94(both the sies)
attach the pages of passport of your wife
attach copy of your I-94(both the sides) and copy of your H1 approval
on the cover letter write in bold RE-- Form I-539 for H4 extension and the documents attached for H1 extension.
your spuse has to sign the letter with name and address.
mail the envelope to correct service center and out side the envelope write in big bold letters FORM I-539 for H4 extension

Hi,

Do I need to wait for my new H1B approval before I can apply for my wifes H4 extension?

I am working for employer A on H1B visa. I have already filed for H1B transfer and will join employer B on 06/01/2004 after I receive the new notice of approval ( H1 transfer filed in premium processing).

Will I have to wait until I receive the new approved Notice of action before I file for H4 extension?

Also, why do I need to file H4 extension? Is is just to update her I94 with the new employer information?

Please reply.

Thanks

Originally posted by man123
Hi,

Do I need to wait for my new H1B approval before I can apply for my wifes H4 extension?

**** No. You can just keep a copy of your H1 receipt along with the H4 application.

I am working for employer A on H1B visa. I have already filed for H1B transfer and will join employer B on 06/01/2004 after I receive the new notice of approval ( H1 transfer filed in premium processing).

Will I have to wait until I receive the new approved Notice of action before I file for H4 extension?

***** No. You dont have to wait.

Also, why do I need to file H4 extension? Is is just to update her I94 with the new employer information?

**** It is to update her I94 to reflect your new H1 validity date.

Please reply.

Thanks

Please reply Vortex

Hi Vortex,

Thanks for your reply.

Since you mentioned that H4 extension is only to update I94.
Can my wife leave USA and enter back on new visa approval of mine? That way the new I94 that will be issued at port of entry will reflect the new H1B visa?

My wife was planning a trip to canada by road. So at the border
she can surrender the I94 and on coming back she can get a new I94 based on the new H1B approval. ( She does have a H4 visa stamped on her passport valid until end of 2005).

Please advise.

Thanks