Filing for US Citizenship Online but confused about Selective Service Question

mazam

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I came to US in 2002 on F1 (Student) visa. I got married in 2005 and in 2008 I got my green card through marriage. Now, I am ready to file for citizenship but on the online form there is a question regarding Selective Service. The question asks if I am registered in Selective Service. What is Selective Service? Is this something new?

First step: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Selective+Service

As an immigrant, it might not be anything for you to worry about. You might be old enough that it's no longer an issue (31 or older), or young enough that you were automatically registered for Selective Service during the green card process. How old are you?

Hi,

I came to US in 2002 on F1 (Student) visa. I got married in 2005 and in 2008 I got my green card through marriage. Now, I am ready to file for citizenship but on the online form there is a question regarding Selective Service. The question asks if I am registered in Selective Service. What is Selective Service? Is this something new?

go to www.sss.gov enter your info and find out

If you were 27 or older when you got a greencard, it does not apply to you.

Thanks for the replies!

I called SSS and also checked on their website and I am NOT registered with them. I was 27 when I got my green card in July 2008 and now I am 30. I called SSS and they told me to fill the form (The form which says why I did not file) and mail them the form with supporting documents like F1 visa and H1B photocopy. Also, on the INS website they say that if you did not file for Selective Service then you should get a letter from SSS which is what I am going to do.

I already have my I-20 from University. I will find H1B documentation and then send them the form along with the documents. Hopefully, they will reply with a letter saying that I was not required to file for Selective Service.

Thoughts!

Thanks for the replies!

I called SSS and also checked on their website and I am NOT registered with them. I was 27 when I got my green card in July 2008 and now I am 30. I called SSS and they told me to fill the form (The form which says why I did not file) and mail them the form with supporting documents like F1 visa and H1B photocopy. Also, on the INS website they say that if you did not file for Selective Service then you should get a letter from SSS which is what I am going to do.

I already have my I-20 from University. I will find H1B documentation and then send them the form along with the documents. Hopefully, they will reply with a letter saying that I was not required to file for Selective Service.

Thoughts!

You are wasting your time. You do not have to do anything at all regarding Selective Service and you do not need to provide any Selective Service documentation to USCIS.
The reason is that you were only present in the U.S. prior to your 26th birthday in legal NONIMMIGRANT status, and thus were not required to register.
So the correct answer you should give to Q33 in part 10G of N-400 is "No". Nothing else will be asked/required from you.

Hi,

How are you filing online when the application must be sent in by mail/courier?

I guess I should have said preparing the application online => http://www.us-immigration.com/us-ci...lication.jsp?gclid=CP3sxcGCqakCFcZ95QodozuDKQ

Here is the checklist information:

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send:

A "Status Information Letter" from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-6888) for more information

>>> I think you are correct! I am not required to send SSS form or status send I was lawful non immigrant between ages of 18 and 26.

Why on earth would you prepare your application online with a third party site that charges you when you can prepare it for free by downloading the application from USCIS??

You are right! For some reason I thought that USCIS has made that site and made everything available online. And for some reason the link to that website came on top on Google results.

You are right! For some reason I thought that USCIS has made that site and made everything available online. And for some reason the link to that website came on top on Google results.

www.uscis.gov

That is the official government site and all the forms and information is free and up to date.