• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

File for Tax return?

doc381

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I am a DV2009 winner and I got my GC in October. I'm not in the US right now but I am planning to move permanently in April.
From the time I got the GC I did not work in the US at all, just got my SSN and came back to my country. My Q is:

Do I have to file for tax return with the IRS or it's not necessary cause I am not working?

Thanks!

You can call the IRS to make sure. 1800-829-1040....You have to be 100% sure and don't go by what a person might give as an answer if you don't know the person.

You don't want to mess with the IRS. I had to call them today for my business and it took me 45 min, to get to the right person and the answer i needed to get...so if you calling from abroad you might be better of using Skype if you will be able to get connected to a 800 #....or call a CPA.

You always need to file the tax return. Except in your case you would have $0 income. Delay to file the tax return may result in a fine.

Thanks for the reply!

I will call or email IRS to ask more info.

Do you know when is the deadline? March 31st 2010?