• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Figuring out unknown case number by your specific Name and Date of Birth

raevsky

Registered Users (C)
I have a software tool ready to search through website https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx for an unknown case number by a known Date of Birth and a Name, iterating through case numbers.
That way it is possible to restore an unknown case number, in case you are informed by someone that you are a winner, but are extorted large sums of money for your case number.
Of course, to use it I need to get your authorization to do that (that is not legal to do it without your authorization), as well as a proof that you are inquiring about yourself, not about anybody else (because I need a proof that authorization is really issued by yourself).

I have a software tool ready to search through website https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx for an unknown case number by a known Date of Birth and a Name, iterating through case numbers.
That way it is possible to restore an unknown case number, in case you are informed by someone that you are a winner, but are extorted large sums of money for your case number.
Of course, to use it I need to get your authorization to do that (that is not legal to do it without your authorization), as well as a proof that you are inquiring about yourself, not about anybody else (because I need a proof that authorization is really issued by yourself).
What you are doing is called PHISHING...

Having a piece of software cannot be called fishing anyway. Using it - might be.
However, my correspondence with KCC shows this is a very legal way of working with the website. Technically they approved it. I am also working with one of the consulates as well to get a confirmation this is a perfectly legal way of doing that. They have neither confirmed it nor denied it so far.
This is equivalent to manual iterating though case number, just faster.
For instance, for NA there are not more than 30 numbers available. It would be very easy to look though them all manually. For Africa that is just about 10,000 times longer. Other than that manual search would do. The software just makes it much faster. Nothing new.

Last edited:
Having a piece of software cannot be called fishing anyway. Using it - might be.
However, my correspondence with KCC shows this is a very legal way of working with the website. Technically they approved it. I am also working with one of the consulates as well to get a confirmation this is a perfectly legal way of doing that. They have neither confirmed it nor denied it so far.
This is equivalent to manual iterating though case number, just faster.
For instance, for NA there are not more than 30 numbers available. It would be very easy to look though them all manually. For Africa that is just about 10,000 times longer. Other than that manual search would do. The software just makes it much faster. Nothing new.
There is no question that the collection of personal information, which is what you would need to receive from folks, constitutes PHISHING and is not in line with the rules and regulations of this and other Internet forums. :confused:

There is no question that the collection of personal information, which is what you would need to receive from folks, constitutes PHISHING and is not in line with the rules and regulations of this and other Internet forums. :confused:
Do you mean getting a copy of a passport page and of a birth certificate constitutes phishing? That is a rather simple thing that could be done outside of forum, by email as an image file, or by regular mail.
Or do you mean anything else?
A very different way of solving the problem would be to transfer software from the service company to the client, so that the client would just use it on it's own, instead of transferring client's personal information to the service company.

Last edited:
Do you mean getting a copy of a passport page and of a birth certificate constitutes phishing? That is a rather simple thing that could be done outside of forum, by email as an image file, or by regular mail.
Or do you mean anything else?
Yep, you got that one right... In addition to passport and birth certificate information you may want to ask for Social Security numbers, and you are all set :D

Yep, you got that one right... In addition to passport and birth certificate information you may want to ask for Social Security numbers, and you are all set :D
No, Social Security numbers are not needed at all. It is perfectly legal to send birth certificate and passport by mail, even the originals. Of course, originals are not needed, just copies; not even the full copy of the passport is needed, only the photo page and a signature page. And authorization to make the search on client's behalf.

Last edited:
No, Social Security numbers are not needed at all. It is perfectly legal to send birth certificate and passport by mail, even the originals. Of course, originals are not needed, just copies.
You do not easily pick up on sarcasm, do you? If folks are naïve enough to send you their sensitive personal information by mail, you are in business. Please stop using this forum for your enterprise :mad:

You do not easily pick up on sarcasm, do you? If folks are naïve enough to send you their sensitive personal information by mail, you are in business. Please stop using this forum for your enterprise :mad:
Did I say I want this for money?! This is not enterprise at all. It is just a way to help fighting extortions.
Also, you did not answer regarding transferring software to the client instead. In that case no information is transferred from the client to the service company at all.

Did I say I want this for money?! This is not enterprise at all. It is just a way to help fighting extortions.
Also, you did not answer regarding transferring software to the client instead. In that case no information is transferred from the client to the service company at all.
To quote from your posting: "Of course, to use it I need to get your authorization to do that (that is not legal to do it without your authorization), as well as a proof that you are inquiring about yourself, not about anybody else (because I need a proof that authorization is really issued by yourself)". It is obvious from your message that you were seeking to receive personal information from folks on this forum, nowhere where you talking about sending a piece of software. Don't try to wiggle out by changing topics...

To quote from your posting: "Of course, to use it I need to get your authorization to do that (that is not legal to do it without your authorization), as well as a proof that you are inquiring about yourself, not about anybody else (because I need a proof that authorization is really issued by yourself)". It is obvious from your message that you were seeking to receive personal information from folks on this forum, nowhere where you talking about sending a piece of software. Don't try to wiggle out by changing topics...
No, that is another model. In case software is transferred to the client, NO PERSONAL INFORMATION from the client is needed at all. The documents mentioned will not be necessary.

No, that is another model. In case software is transferred to the client, NO PERSONAL INFORMATION from the client is needed at all. The documents mentioned will not be necessary.
ok then, you seem to be positively responding to well founded privacy concerns. I personally still would not take you up on the offer, due to risk of virus infections etc., but let's see whether you will find any takers...

I have a similar script. I actually don't think there is a legal issue around using the script, however, I am uncomfortable in the access it provides - especially when coupled with asking someone for proof of their ID.

For me this is too easy - and I am concerned that they left sensitive data so "unguarded". I have emailed KCC in the hope they will increase the security in accessing the system.

Thank you. That is actually exactly what I wanted from them. However, they told me it was legal, and they have not responded yet regarding making a stricter access to unguarded data. So, good luck.

Oh - by the way - I would not want to pass the software to anyone - even with the safeguard of having to know the name (which is not actually necessary - but something you are adding to feel better about providing the "service".

While the idea that the information can be found is a bit unnerving, I think the intention to try help some of these people who get scammed and blackmailed by "agents" is a laudable one, especially give that KCC doesn't seem interested in helping them.

While the idea that the information can be found is a bit unnerving, I think the intention to try help some of these people who get scammed and blackmailed by "agents" is a laudable one, especially give that KCC doesn't seem interested in helping them.

Agreed. I did however have someone offering this service to someone through comments on my blog. The person with the script wanted several pieces of ID (passport, birth cert), and a small fee in order to run the script. I blocked the contact because of the ID required - it was way more than anyone should be giving to a stranger over the internet.