FBI name check for Naturalization

Chicagodesi

Registered Users (C)
I have my interview scheduled for late February. I wanted to find out if FBI has cleared my name since quite a few people are having problems getting oath letter. Does anyone knows how to contact FBI at Chicago office.
Thanks

I have my interview scheduled for late February. I wanted to find out if FBI has cleared my name since quite a few people are having problems getting oath letter. Does anyone knows how to contact FBI at Chicago office.

If they have scheduled your interview, I believe there is no need to check w/fbi. If they need additional check they will refere to it. I am sure they have done your security check before they call you for interview. Hope for the best.

Good luck Chicagodesi.

Originally posted by hm11

If they have scheduled your interview, I believe there is no need to check w/fbi. If they need additional check they will refere to it. I am sure they have done your security check before they call you for interview. Hope for the best.

Good luck Chicagodesi.

Hello! it does not work that way. That's the way I thought also. My interview was on 30th July, 2003. FBI name chk pending since Feb6th, 2003. Applied in Jan, 2003.

Still waiting for oath letter............. 3 queries to FBI.....answer...FBI name chk pending.:mad: :confused:

Hello! it does not work that way. That's the way I thought also. My interview was on 30th July, 2003. FBI name chk pending since Feb6th, 2003. Applied in Jan, 2003.

I have gone through interview & Oath and I experienced that it is useless to inquire about security check before the interview. My interviewing officer checked something in the system and printed few pages and attached it with my application and then I recieved my oath letter at the end of the interview. Yes in some cases it takes long time to acquire clearnce. My suggestion is that 'do nothing' before the interview. If they need it they will check or get it for you.
Does it take time after the interview? Yes
Can you expedite the clearance before the interview? No

WHAT ON EARTH!

I applied in Aug 03... I was bugging the FBI for the last few weeks
to find out the status of the name check and I get a fax from
them today saying that they have NO RECORD of a request
for a name check to be done on me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does this mean
that the INS screwed up and never initated a check ?

I called the person and spk with her and she did mention
that she searched by my name only not A#, My name in
the GC is completely mixed up from what it really is

Any ideas?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Name check done for everyone?

Hi Rahul,

Have you received your interview letter/Is your interview over? I was under the impression that name checks were done after your case was moved to the local office, but I could be wrong.

Also, there are some other posts indicating that name checks are not done for everyone (I myself have been trying to get a clear answer on whether they have name checks for women)...so maybe that's why the FBI doesn't have a record?

:confused:

When you applied, did you use your GC name? Or give your correct spelling?

Ratrat

Name Checks are done for all! I applied under a completely
different combination of my 3 names (GC name is totally mixed up).. Name checks are done by Svc Ctr or local office ? I am reasonalby certain its done by Svc ctr...

name check process

Here's what I found out about name checks on the US Department of State website:

Procedures for Naturalization

When an applicant has Legal Permanent Resident Alien (LPRA) status, the procedure for naturalization is as follows:

1) The applicant sends or brings the N-400 application, together with the requested documentation and the check (see amounts above), payable to BCIS, to the Family Liaison Office. This packet, with a Department of State cover letter, is forwarded to the BCIS Washington Field Office in Arlington, VA. The Field Office sends the package on to the Vermont Service Center.

2) Upon receipt of the packet, the BCIS Service Center in Vermont requests the applicant’s "A" (alien) file.

3) If the applicant applies from the United States and does not have fingerprint cards from an overseas post, the BCIS Service Center sends the applicant an authorization for fingerprinting at a U.S.–based BCIS-designated facility. After the applicant has been fingerprinted, the prints are sent to the FBI for clearance. Obtaining clearances on name checks and fingerprints can take considerable time. Once they have cleared, the result is entered into the nationwide BCIS database. If the applicant is applying from overseas and therefore can not appear for a fingerprint reading in person, fingerprint cards prepared at post should be included with the application and the $260.00 check. (Applicants should use fingerprint cards provided by the BCIS or the Family Liaison Office. The form number is FD-258 – rev. 12/29/82.)

4) Once all the paperwork has been completed, the applicant can be scheduled for an interview and the final oath ceremony. Appointment requests for specific dates will not be confirmed by BCIS until the fingerprint and name check results are completed and the "A" file has been received.

Link to website: http://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/rsrcs/pubs/2055.htm

Of course, this website in the context of spouse applicants who are applying through Family Liason Office...but I'm assuming these FBI check rules apply to everyone...

Rahul, have you spoken to a lawyer to clarify the status of your case? According to the info above, the name check for you should not be pending (of course, the USCIS is an exercise in contradictions)...

Ratrat

Oath

I just pass my interview in Newark NJ, but my fingerprints expire.I went on 14 of January for new fingerprints,and i would like to know how long i have to wait for my Oath. The officer told me :two weeks after,i will received my letter.

Ratrat,

Thanks for the info. Since I live @ VT, I plan on visiting
the VT Svc Center this week to inquire about my name check.
I am reasonably certain that the secretary did not do a through
search and its not possible for name check not to be initated. It may take time to complete but Im positive its started.. Lets c. keeping fingers crossed

re:eek:ath

Hi Patrick

From other posts it looks like once you receive your oath letter your oath ceremony will take place in 1-2 months...

Can you post your timeline and interview experience?

Good luck!

Ratrat

PD 08/19/2002
FD 10/05/2002
Interview 01/09/2004
waitng for oath letter
received a letter (congratulations ect)
I would like to know how long i have to wait.
Apply under military Service

I did my interview on August 2003 in Dallas ,was told I couldnt have a decision pending name check. (thought they did that when I was married and then again on my 10 years GC go figure)

Called FBI in Novemeber 2003 3 months later FBI informed me that name check was approved and sent back October 23 2003. Today is March 21st 2004 still no oath and a inquiry by the 1 800 BCIS number only said address verified. Ceremony will be scheduled in 3 to 6 months! WHY??? I dont know considering they have ceremonies every day.

HAS ANYONE received an oath letter after they have been waiting due to a pending name check? I have yet to see a poster who has.

Casawi

Originally posted by casawi
I did my interview on August 2003 in Dallas ,was told I couldnt have a decision pending name check. (thought they did that when I was married and then again on my 10 years GC go figure)

Called FBI in Novemeber 2003 3 months later FBI informed me that name check was approved and sent back October 23 2003. Today is March 21st 2004 still no oath and a inquiry by the 1 800 BCIS number only said address verified. Ceremony will be scheduled in 3 to 6 months! WHY??? I dont know considering they have ceremonies every day.

HAS ANYONE received an oath letter after they have been waiting due to a pending name check? I have yet to see a poster who has.

Casawi

Hi Casawi:

I am in a real doldrum.

My PD= jan, 2003, FP Feb, 2003, Interview July, 2003.

did not get the oath letter.yet......for the reason that my NAME CHK pending with FBI. Now after several Faxes to Washington DC I recd an email from FBI that my "results of something (what donno) were forwarded to Immigration services on 11th Feb, 2004. Now its been more than a month still waiting for Oath letter.

Yes also went to local Office (Oakland, CA) the officer told me wait for another 4-5 months as ur case is still on hold.........

Very frustrated now as I need to do International adoption

:mad: :mad: :(

Originally posted by ibm101
Hi Casawi:

I am in a real doldrum.

My PD= jan, 2003, FP Feb, 2003, Interview July, 2003.

did not get the oath letter.yet......for the reason that my NAME CHK pending with FBI. Now after several Faxes to Washington DC I recd an email from FBI that my "results of something (what donno) were forwarded to Immigration services on 11th Feb, 2004. Now its been more than a month still waiting for Oath letter.

Yes also went to local Office (Oakland, CA) the officer told me wait for another 4-5 months as ur case is still on hold.........

Very frustrated now as I need to do International adoption

:mad: :mad: :(

Hmmmmm On hold? On hold for what did you ask them? Considering that our cases couldnt be approved pending name check and the name check has been approved and sent back, what is it still on hold for?? Yes it is very frusterating. GOD willing all will be over soon

InfoPass

A new system has been launched to get an appointment with
an INS Officer instead of waiting in a queue (first come first serve).. Pilot projects in LA and FL..