Family based application questions

vaishali81

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

Firstly, My husband is a USC, I am a Singaporean. We've been married for nearly a year now (06/15/05) and got married in Singapore. I came here with my husband on the 03/09/06. We applied for the I130, I485, I765, I864 and G235As with all the relevant cheques and sent them on 05/24/06 via Fedex to the Chicago lockbox number. We are in Lancaster, California and were under the impression that that is where we had to send our application. We know they received it on 05/26/06. We did all the paperwork ourselves and are positive we have all the information requested. The only thing we didn't have was my husband's birth certificate (he was born in the US), but we instead gave them a copy of his passport. Also, in the G235A for him, we didn't put "other" which I've seen in other posts that we should have put. I think we ticked the green card one, not sure, can't remember.

My questions are:

1) How long will it take for them to get back to us with a RD and ND? It's been nearly 2 weeks now and we're both getting worried as my I94 expires tomorrow.
2) Directly relates to Q1. Do I have to worry about my I94 expiring?
3) How long does it usually take for cases like ours before I get a green card?
4) Did we do the right thing? We've been worried sick about this, and are petrified that I will be deported back to Singapore, so any thoughts on this would be extremely helpful.

I think that's it. I truly hope we did the right thing and that this is normal. We've been watching our mail box for the longest time and are dying to know what's happening.

With all thanks,

Alina

Last edited by a moderator:
1. It varies. I had just a few days between RD and ND, but others have had longer time. 2 weeks is probably nothing to worry about. Remember that there was a long weekend right after they received it (Memorial Day). You did send it to the courier address in Chicago, right?
2. No, you should not have to worry about it. Even it the ND is after the expiration of your I-94, it will not be by much. That, by itself, should not be a problem.
3. Again, it varies. Look at the AOS interview timeline thread to get an idea. Some cases take a long time even after the interview, however, because of time-consuming name checks. There is no way to predict when you will have your green card. If all goes well, you could have it in 4 to 6 months.
4. Actually, how did you enter the U.S.? On a tourist visa? If so, that could possibly cause some problems for you as a tourist visa does not permit immigration intent. It does not have to be a problem, but it could be. Do not mean to add to your worries. You will probably be fine. It would probably have been better if you had applied for a green card from Singapore (Consular Processing?) and wait to enter the U.S. until you had it, but what is done is done.

Thank you for your quick response Swede :)

1. We sent it to the courier address in Chicago which was listed on the information pages on the forms. Hopefully that was the one to use. Well, you're right, there have been a few holidays since we sent it to them.
2. Okay, noted :)
3. Hmmm, will have to check up on that.
4. I came here on a visa waiver, as I'm from Singapore. But I read in the I130 or one of the applications that I could apply as I am the spouse of an American. Is that right do you think? We didn't want to apply in Singapore as we would have been apart for such a long time and we couldn't have handled it.

Thanks again :)

You are fine as you married a US Cit. and can adjust in the US without problem. Have they cashed the checks yet?

Sorry, did not realize that Singapore was on the visa waiver list. Anyway, it really should not be a problem. Do not lose any sleep over it. Hope you get the receipt notice soon! :)

thanks for all the information. we don't know if they've cashed the cheques, as we actually sent them money orders. is there a way to check with the money orders if they cashed them yet?

*phew* I will sleep easier now that I've gotten answers to all my questions. I've been on edge since the 26th of May!!!!

Hi Alina...
We kinda have the same timeline... (look at mine). I think when you send the forms, you should get the RD only within a couple days they actually received it. My I-94 is expired on 06/23/06. Keep us posted to see the development.

Timeline B1/B2 (from Indonesia) married to USC (Location: Columbus, OH)
05/05/06 - married to USC
05/20/06 - sent packages I-485, I-130, I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
05/22/06 - package received (based on post office)
05/24/06 - RD
05/31/06 - ND
06/01/06 - Checks cashed
06/02/06 - Receipts (I-130 & I-485) came in the mail
06/05/06 - Receipt (I-765) came in the mail
06/05/06 - Online status appeared (registered on email)
Now just waiting

running_swede said:
Sorry, did not realize that Singapore was on the visa waiver list. Anyway, it really should not be a problem. Do not lose any sleep over it. Hope you get the receipt notice soon! :)

Singapore is a country whose passport is the best to have. You can freely enter a lot of countries around the world and it is definitely better to have a Singapore passport than an American one, especially after 9/11. :)

wow, nice to see lots of people in the same boat as we are! :)

IM85U, probably best to wait for the RFE. Thanks for your story and I'm hoping to get confirmation in the mail any day now. Hopefully sooner rather than later :) Good luck with your paperwork too :)

Pipitastro, wow, very close timeline, you're right. Yours seems to have moved on a lot faster than ours have! :( But that's probably because you came here on a specific visa right? Happy 1 month anniversary too ;)

sgsnathan, you're absolutely right about SG passports. Didn't need a visa to come here and got 3 months with no hassle. Really good if you ask me. A lot less scrutiny I think and because Singapore has such tough laws, surely the INS can't be tooooo hard on me? :)

Thank you all for your replies, I will keep you all posted :)

----------------------
05/15/05 married usc in Singapore
03/09/06 arrived LA on I94 VWP
05/24/06 applied for I130, 1485, I864, I765, G235As to Chicago lockbox
05/26/06 confirmation that Chicago received fedex (via fedex site)
now just waiting.......

IM85U said:
Ha ha - no it isn't, I just checked! Hey, what does it mean when your LUD changes? All 3 forms have a LUD of today (as opposed to a 6/6 when I set up my online account.) But when I click on them I don't see anything new in there. Am I missing something or are they just messing with me? I haven't gotten anything else in the mail since the receipts.

As far as I know, you get LUD every time they are dealing with your files, updating information, sending notices or RFEs, receiving additional stuff from you like response to RFE,or information on your fingerprints and name checks etc...
It's hard to tell the exact reason what they are doing with your file , you can only guess. But in any event it's a good sign it means your case is being worked on.

Good luck.

You know, I just had a thought. We left our wedding album in Singapore with my Mother because we had just lost my Father a month before we left. We didn't want to cause her even MORE emotional turmoil by taking away everything about "us", so left it there. I wish I could have that to show at the interview when it does happen :(

All I have is our wedding certificate and a few wedding photos that aren't in albums.

Ask your mother to mail just a couple more pictures from the album to you, once you receive the interview letter (in a few months). Of course the whole album would be great to show at the interview, but I'm sure that a "sample" of your nicest pics will do the trick, too. :)

IM85U, I remember I received my FP letters shortly after my first LUDs for I-485 and I-765. Could very well be that you will get mail soon. ;)

Just to let everyone know that I got my biometrics appointment date today! :)

ROCK ON!

What can I expect at this appointment? Anything important to know? How long will it take?

vaishali81 said:
Just to let everyone know that I got my biometrics appointment date today! :)

ROCK ON!

What can I expect at this appointment? Anything important to know? How long will it take?

Good to hear! Mine will be on 6/19 and code 3, based on this forum, that'll be everything.... picture too, that will be on the green card...
Somebody prolly can comment on your question, or I can tell u after I'm done with it :D wow our timeline is just days apart.... what's your DO?