False claim of citizenship

frdm2b, I don't think you need a lawyer just for this! Lawyers will tell you anything to get hired, that's their business lol. I really think you do have a good shot at this since like Jackolantern said unauthorized employment is forgiven. If this is the only thing you're questioning in your case, then it should be very straightforward.

They weren't separated in 2008. They first started the separation of those checkboxes in 2009. I have attached the 6/16/2008 revision and the 2/2/09 revision.

Phew! That's good to know. I hadn't gotten around to digging them up but I could have sworn that the ones in 2005 were separated but thankfully I was wrong. I was very worried about an I-9 I filled out before 2005...wasn't sure if it had yet been destroyed or not but I guess at this point it doesn't matter since I definately didn't fill any new ones out after 2008.

On another nitpicking note I was also pondering if CIS audits the whole HR record because in some cases company hiring applications ask their employees if they are US citizens or not. Obviously that doesn't matter *by itself* because corporations arent governments but there could still be the possibility that CIS could somehow, if they managed to get their hands on those docs, try to trick the applicant into "admitting" that they meant to convery US citizenship. I don't know if this is being done for sure but I did read a report by another lawyer on another blog who was saying that AOS interviews in the chicago field office were high tension interrogation sections with special attention paid to the I-9.

On another nitpicking note I was also pondering if CIS audits the whole HR record because in some cases company hiring applications ask their employees if they are US citizens or not. Obviously that doesn't matter *by itself* because corporations arent governments but there could still be the possibility that CIS could somehow, if they managed to get their hands on those docs, try to trick the applicant into "admitting" that they meant to convery US citizenship.

Yes, while the old I-9 by itself with the ambiguous checkbox isn't enough to pin a claim of US citizenship on the individual, other evidence in the HR records or elsewhere could. For example, there was somebody a few years ago who got deported for making false claims to US citizenship for employment ... it wasn't the I-9 itself that ruined him, it was the fact that a former job he worked in required US citizenship (he probably had to sign other papers affirming his citizenship, in order to get the job).

Dont lose hope

My attorney briefed/coached me before the interview at DHS. My attorney advised not to say I claimed to be a US citizen and that all I said to the employer was that I have a drivers licence and a SS card. And that the employer filled out the I9 form. But the issue never came up during the interview, even though I admitted to working illegally and the interviewer chided me for working illegally.