F2 to F1

Cosmos_

My wife applied for status change from F2 to F1 using USCIS ELIS on April 9th this year. Her case was moved to California Service Center. Since it's been 2.5 months already (current processing time), we made several calls to USCIS asking about the status, but they do not provide any info other than what can be checked online. We applied for status change the same day we received her I-20 and the school is aware of that. Her college is saying she needs to have the visa/status by this Wednesday (July 2) although her college starts on July 11 (orientation) and classes start from July 14.

We are really worried if we receive a letter by July 2, and I wonder what happens if we receive visa in between July 2 and July 14, as the college director is saying they will notify "waiting list" candidate for the vacant seat, if my wife won't have visa by 2nd. We have already paid 4500 for college fee deposit and spend about $10,000 for room/board etc. Can a school give such a deadline to have visa even before the classes start? Also, they say they we can't defer her school for next year.

Since my wife doesn't have any fault, and is trying hard to get it done. What are the possibilities for her? Your inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you!