F1 visa validity

Naila26

Registered Users (C)
A close friend of mine was issued an F1 visa for 5 years for masters program from India from Aug 04-Aug 09. He finished his masters and is now doing his Phd and has been in lawful status all-long. His visa has an annotation saying "I-20 expires on Dec 06",that is 2.5 yrs from the date of issue of his visa. His visa still has 1 year left of expiration and his I-94 says D/S. If he travels to India, does he need a new visa to enter US because of the annotation, even if he has another year left for his visa to expire. He is confused. He called the consulate who issued him the visa and they said that his original visa was given for the masters program, but then they gave him a visa for 5 years. He also talked to border security and they said that as long as he has a valid 1-20 and valid visa, he can re-enter US. He talked to a couple of good lawyers and nobody knows what this annotation means. He really wanted to travel to India this winter as he has not travelled since he came in 04. Please help.

He probably needs a new visa stamp. Whats the big deal with that? Of course he can travel. He gets his I-20 signed, and while in India he picks up a new visa stamp at the consulate. They give preference to renewals, so getting an appointment is easy.

He will not able to apply for a visa till his current visa is within 6 months of expiration. If he goes to India in December, he will be not eligible to apply before Feb 09.

Here is my experience. BUT that might be too old.

Year 2000, enter to the USA with F1 VISA (5 year) that comes with University A.
Several international trips
Year 2002 Spring, finish the University A with A.A. Get NEW I-20 that accompanies with OLD I-20
Year 2002 Summer, Go back the home country and come back to USA with the same F1 VISA used year 2000 without any problems.

For Yukina,

Did you have an annotation on your F1 visa which said that your intial I-20 expires on this date for which you were initially issued visa for?

Since I got new passport and new F1 VISA, I did not have my old info.
But as far as I remember there is no difference from what I have right now. (No annotation mentioned about the date of expiration of I-20 since I-20 can be reissued.)

Last edited by a moderator: