F1 to H1 problem

viraj_k

Registered Users (C)
I am currently on OPT till June 14 & after the 60 days grace period till Aug 14 i will be out of status for 46 days till OCT 1, 2006 to start my H1..

My F1 visa on my passport expires on Aug 14, 2006.

Can i enroll in school for Fall 2006 & then File for H1 on the side , so that i can stay in the country legally for 46 days till i start my H1 on october 1, 2006.

If that is possible, will i be questioned as to why i enrolled in school again when i go for my H1 stamping either to canada or mexico.

I hope there is some loop hole that i can take so that i don't have to go back to my country for 46 days. If i have to leave the country for 46 days then i will be off my project & i don't want to do so....if possible.

please help me........ :(

Unless you can show that you will be in status on Oct 1, your change of status will be denied, and you need to travel before H1 work. Just being enrolled into school does not automatically give you the option to stay without H1 visa stamp.
you need to get approval from school before you file H1 and COS, but if you did it too late, you will miss H1 quota.

GotPR ??---

Thanks a lot for your reply. But i have not yet filed for H1. I will apply to a school next week get my I-20 issued ASAP by the shool & then file for my H1. So according to your suggestion it should not a be aproblem for me to file for COS and change to H1 on Oct 1, 2006.

hope i interpreted your statement correctly.

Thanks again
Viraj Kothari.

viraj_k said:
Thanks a lot for your reply. But i have not yet filed for H1. I will apply to a school next week get my I-20 issued ASAP by the shool & then file for my H1. So according to your suggestion it should not a be aproblem for me to file for COS and change to H1 on Oct 1, 2006.
It should work unless CIS questioned on your intent with I20.