F1 to H1 conversion - Need Help

mgupta11

Dear Members, I wanted to take your opinion. I am a student who was recently offered employment by a company. Right now, I am planning to join them on CPT (already an intern at that company) and then this employer will file for H1 visa for me in April 2007 so that I can convert from F1 to H1 in Oct,07 . My problem is that my school will give me CPT for a max of 1 year i.e. expire in the end of June, 2007 and my H1 will not come till Oct. Can I not work from July - Oct? Will I have to take a break from the employer.... Also, is there any way around this. What about L1 Visa or any other visa that will make me leagal to work for this employer immideately. Are there any solutions to this....

Appreciate your input on this...

w2

Hi,

iam a f1 to h1b , iam going for h1b stamping , i have a low w2 for 2005 for my company, with start date as october 2004 because i worked with another company in 2005 for three months .
is a low w2 a problem ?
if they ask should i show both the w2´s and say that i worked for two company´s in 2005 , is it ok to work for two company´s. I have h1b´s from both the companies .

Please advise me asap .

regards
raj

mgupta11 said:
Dear Members, I wanted to take your opinion. I am a student who was recently offered employment by a company. Right now, I am planning to join them on CPT (already an intern at that company) and then this employer will file for H1 visa for me in April 2007 so that I can convert from F1 to H1 in Oct,07 . My problem is that my school will give me CPT for a max of 1 year i.e. expire in the end of June, 2007 and my H1 will not come till Oct. Can I not work from July - Oct? Will I have to take a break from the employer.... Also, is there any way around this. What about L1 Visa or any other visa that will make me leagal to work for this employer immideately. Are there any solutions to this....

Appreciate your input on this...
You can not work between July and Oct unless you obtain work authorization. I guess it's not easy to make these 2 months authorized to work.

On July 30, 2004, INS gave relief to student on F-1 to cover up the Gap between F-1 and H-1 timelines like you have. They will give u an extended EAD (OPT card) which will cover this gap.
You should consult with some lawyer about this rule. Please don't come out of USA just to get your H-1 B stamp, b/c I did that and now I've been waiting sine last 2 years for my security clearence from D.C.
So try for extended EAD, hope it will work for you.

Cpt-opt

Anybody who uses more than 365 days of CPT is not eligible for an OPT. So if you use less than that period of CPT, you maybe very well be eligible for an OPT for a duration of a whole year.

Get a CPT till January 31st. In the mean time apply for OPT starting February 1st. That way you can have full year on OPT till next cycle of H1.
The dates are arbitrary, you can change as you want. Just remember not to work on CPT for more than 11 months. Then you can get 12 months of OPT.

All the best,
Manoj