F1 query

naiya12

hi, i am naiya patel...i recently got my f1 visa to study my masters in US and was going to go to US in feb...my bf is alreayd in US and will b applying for his H1 soon...however, now my family wants me to go to US only on a dependent visa (H4) and not on F1...however i have heard that not using my F1 visa and applying for another type of visa after a few years may cause a problem and a rejection...for the sole purpose that i already had a chance of going to US on f1 and i didnt use it...i have been meeting a few consultants and everyone has been telling me different things...however, it would be great if anyone who has faced or who knows of somone who has faced a remotely relative situation can help me clear my mind...if i choose not to use my F1 right now and apply for a H4, say after 2 years, will that increase my chances of being rejected?...hoping tht smone will reply soon...thanks!

As long as you can explain the situation and case is genuine there is no problem in applying for another visa.Also person on H4 can take up studies/work also. So i think you won't have a problem.