F-1 visa renewal - arrest record

rajarshic

I am planning to renew my F-1 visa next week in India. My issue is that I have to answer "yes" on the question about ever being arrested. My charges were dismissed but I understand I still have to say yes. In order to support my "dismissal" I am taking a certificate of disposition and also a state criminal record check. However I just figured out that FBI criminal record check is separate and it takes 3-4 weeks to process; so clearly I won't have it in person when I am at the US consulate next week.

My questions are: a) Will a "yes" on that question, in spite of the dismissal, most likely go to a rejection?? b) If not, then will the lack of an FBI criminal record statement delay my visa and will it be automatically sent for background check in Washington?

My classes for Fall start in the end of August and I'm afraid a background check / security clearance will delay me bigtime.

Please help so that I can better prepare myself mentally and otherwise as well. Thanks much in advance.

Raj

Even charges get dismissed the incidence going to be in your record for ever it will affect you job opportunities too,

I have seen a IISc student got rejected for a very good job for those reason in US. (False shop lifting case in CA)

I am planning to renew my F-1 visa next week in India. My issue is that I have to answer "yes" on the question about ever being arrested. My charges were dismissed but I understand I still have to say yes. In order to support my "dismissal" I am taking a certificate of disposition and also a state criminal record check. However I just figured out that FBI criminal record check is separate and it takes 3-4 weeks to process; so clearly I won't have it in person when I am at the US consulate next week.

My questions are: a) Will a "yes" on that question, in spite of the dismissal, most likely go to a rejection?? b) If not, then will the lack of an FBI criminal record statement delay my visa and will it be automatically sent for background check in Washington?

My classes for Fall start in the end of August and I'm afraid a background check / security clearance will delay me bigtime.

Please help so that I can better prepare myself mentally and otherwise as well. Thanks much in advance.

Raj

I had a similar problem. I was caught shoplifting in walmart this year in may 2010 and was charged with a misdemeanor. Am also international student from kenya. Being in school through out, i was able to renew my visa in jamaica. I had to tell the truth and it set me free. At the port of entry to the usa the also scanned my finger prints and they could tell i had a record. They asked me if i indicated that i had a record at my visa application and i said yes. They had to verify and i could see the lady from dhs nod her head and said that i should stay out of trouble. Also i was married to a usa citizen and they asked me about it but i said we were planning to go to my country. Tell the truth buddy. Email me at kabugesh@yahoo.com i can tell you more

Its really the nice topic about the users troubleshooting.
Thanks to share here with us.

Last edited by a moderator: