F-1 Visa and possible H1B visa related questions

Zarna

Hi,

I was wondering if you are able to help me. I am an F-1 visa student who is studying ultrasound at a community college in Houston, TX (HCC to be precise). I already hold a Bsc in Psychology and Health from London where I came from to study further here. I am about to complete my advance certificate program this December 2010 when I graduate. Since, this is a certificate program, this program did not qualify for OPT option. However, only last week it was confirmed from the Homeland security that certificate programs now qualify for the OPT option. Otherwise, i would have had 60days to remian in the country after graduation. So, my worry is, what are my options after I graduate. ideally, I would like to be on the H1B visa, any advice on how that works for ultrasound techs in Houston. I know nursing they would easily sponsor you due to the demand for nurses in general. But, for Ultrasound techs? Also, what is and how long is the process for h1B visa. Do you know if they usually have people being hired with ultrasound tech qualification? As that would be my ideal scenario where i am currently doing my clinical rotations, so I am hoping someone would gladly offer me a job and possibly either sponsor me or offer me the H1B visa. i do not wish to go back to London with my certificate as the job prospects are not as great as they are over here. any kind of advice would be greatly be appreciated as I need some light at the end of the tunnel to see what my options are. Getting married is the last option on my list, which i dont consider an option at this moment in time.

All in all if there is anyone out there that is an international student and is or is about to graduate from a ultrasound program and has been hired please provide me with any useful advice. I feel so confused.

Only if the job requires a BS or greater degree qualifies for H1B visa. OPT is available to individuals completing programs below that level; qualifying for OPT does not mean that you are qualified for H1B. The fact that your program is offered at a community college certainly means it is not a qualifying program for H1B.

You need to plan to return home.

does anybody have an idea how long approval of EAD takes at Nebraska service center? I am (or was) F-1, got my notice on June 29 2009, check was cashed July 1st, "case is received and pending".
I had an offer enclosed with the application and still waiting. Immigration counselor at my Uni didn't submit it as expedited, saying there is no starting date on the offer. The company which wants to employ me is saying: it's against their policy to include the date.... like a vicious circle!