F-1 problem

hammersfan0

Hi Everyone,

I hope that somebody can give me advice. I was recently turned down for an F-1 visa in London under section 214(B). I understand that I need to prove more ties to the UK. Well I was born here, all my family live here, now I have 2 joboffers and also I have a substantial amount of money in a British bank account. I believe that this is enough to over come this problem. However, I have another problem. I only have one more year left to get my degree in South Carolina. I missed a year of school for financial reasons but I did not leave the US. I did then complete a further year of school after that though. I returned home for Christmas, then when I got to ATL airport I was not allowed in. The immigration office wrote cancelled across my visa and my application was withdrawn. I was not deported. The lady at ATL said I should be able to get another F-1 visa. Do I need to say yes to both of these parts of question 38 on form DS-156, Been refused admission? and Violated terms of visa? For my appointment at London last week I did say yes to both and I think that was right. I now have an appointment in Belfast next Thursday and I am worried as I only need to get back to the US for one year and my ties to the UK are as strong as can be. ANybody that could give me some advice or help, that would be great. Sorry for the lengthy message but I needed to explain the whole situation. Please reply ASAP.

Thanks

John

Hi Hammersfan,
I hope someone can help you with your query on this forum ... permit me to add my situation to your query ...

I am currently thinking of getting an F1 visa for a very short 4 month course in the US, I already have my I-20 etc and I'm a British Citizen ...

But after reading a few threads about the F1 visa I am getting quite put off at the prospect of being denied the visa and the backlash that may come with it ... theoretically I should not be refused the visa because I have enough money in my account for the course and accomodation, I also have a property, but on the flip side I do not have a job at the moment and no job offer (although I have only been out of a job for 3 months)

I travel to the US quite often as I have family and friends over there, I would be gutted if in any way applying for the F1 visa would jeopardize my flexibility with the Visa Waiver Program and visiting the US, which at the moment is very easy for me ..

does anyone know if you are allowed to undertake part time study / certification on the Visa Waiver Program?

John,
You are paying the price for not leaving the US during the year you took off.
You were in F-1 status. You violated that status by not taking credits for an entire year. Since you spent a year in the US (while you were not studying)and did not return to the UK, consuls do not believe you have strong ties to the UK. Otherwise, you would have spent that "off" year in the UK. Good luck with your next interview. I hope you get a compassionate consul. Keep us posted.

Hi Everyone,

I hope that somebody can give me advice. I was recently turned down for an F-1 visa in London under section 214(B). I understand that I need to prove more ties to the UK. Well I was born here, all my family live here, now I have 2 joboffers and also I have a substantial amount of money in a British bank account. I believe that this is enough to over come this problem. However, I have another problem. I only have one more year left to get my degree in South Carolina. I missed a year of school for financial reasons but I did not leave the US. I did then complete a further year of school after that though. I returned home for Christmas, then when I got to ATL airport I was not allowed in. The immigration office wrote cancelled across my visa and my application was withdrawn. I was not deported. The lady at ATL said I should be able to get another F-1 visa. Do I need to say yes to both of these parts of question 38 on form DS-156, Been refused admission? and Violated terms of visa? For my appointment at London last week I did say yes to both and I think that was right. I now have an appointment in Belfast next Thursday and I am worried as I only need to get back to the US for one year and my ties to the UK are as strong as can be. ANybody that could give me some advice or help, that would be great. Sorry for the lengthy message but I needed to explain the whole situation. Please reply ASAP.

Thanks

John