Extension of Visitor Visa

les2002

Hi Everyone,

I have applied for the extension of visitor visa of my parents 45 days in advance. Now the visa expiration date is very close and have not recd. any decision from INS. My concerns are:

1) Can they stay in USA till they get the decision of their visa extension? (Means beyond expiration of their visa)

2) If their application is rejected and they go back to India after visa expiration date, will the authority cause any problem?

3) How far it is advicable to stay here and wait for the INS decision?

I will appreciate your response. Please help as soon as possible.

Thanks

When you say visa expiration date I assume you mean the date on the i-94 card. The date on the I-94 card is just the datetill which they are permitted to stay in the US for this visit. You said you filed an extension. Did you receive a receipt from the INS? If so they can stay beyond their I-94 date until they hear from INS reg. the extension or until the requested extension date whichever is earlier. However if it is really the visa expiration date then they have to go back because the extension is not valid for expired visas.

Originally posted by vatsie
When you say visa expiration date I assume you mean the date on the i-94 card. The date on the I-94 card is just the datetill which they are permitted to stay in the US for this visit. You said you filed an extension. Did you receive a receipt from the INS? If so they can stay beyond their I-94 date until they hear from INS reg. the extension or until the requested extension date whichever is earlier. However if it is really the visa expiration date then they have to go back because the extension is not valid for expired visas.

Hi Vatsie,

Thanks for your prompt response. Greatly Appreciated.

Yes your assumption is right. I was talking about the I-94 expiration. Yes I do have receipt from INS and I am regularly checking the status with INS.

Now my concern is my parents visitor visa's (stamp in the passport) are already expired because they only got the visa for 6 months and they left India 5 months after they got the visa.

1) So will INS deny the extension application?? If yes then is there any way out??

2) Is there any way that we can extend the visa itself?? Like going to Canada for stamping/extension.
Please help.

Thanks

At which center the extension filed and when?

When is the extension filed for your parents and where is it filed? I too filed an extension for my parents on Nov 18 and waiting to hear from them.

Thanks,
srpot

Re: At which center the extension filed and when?

Originally posted by srpot
When is the extension filed for your parents and where is it filed? I too filed an extension for my parents on Nov 18 and waiting to hear from them.

Thanks,
srpot

Hi srpot

Receipt date is Nov 13 at INS-Nebraska for the extension of stay of my parents.

Thanks

1) So will INS deny the extension application?? If yes then is there any way out??

I don't think INS will deny the application. However when your parents go for visa stamping the next time they want to visit the extension may prove a hurdle for their visa approval. This is why it is best to apply for extensions once you have a 10 year multiple entry visa.

2) Is there any way that we can extend the visa itself?? Like going to Canada for stamping/extension.
Please help.

I don't have sp. info on how this is done but think it is possible. You will have to research this either on this site or on other immigration sites like murthy.com. she has a chat session every monday from 8 to 9 pm.

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

Vatsie..

..what did you conclude about the "sticky situation" u mentioned in the other thread ?
And just to confirm, the fee is $140, per application right, not $140 per applicant..
Thanks