Extending my wife's TD

Aram Jung

Hi there,
I am a Canadian citizen living in the US. I recently received a new TN status which expires in July of 2017. However, I didn't have my Korean wife travel with me when I got my new TN. Now, she has been staying with me in the US on the merit of my TN with the previous employer. Her TD visa expires in September 2015 with her I 94 valid until September 2015.
I am planning to drive down to the Mexican border to extend her TD which is only an hour drive away. This is where I'm confused and need someone's advice/validation. She will not be able to extend her visa as you would have to do that at a US embassy. Will they allow her to extend her status to match my new TN duration? Can she stay in the US legally until my TN expires despite her expired visa? I would think this is legal and wouldn't be a problem.

Your help is much appreciated...
Thanks.

Yes, they should be able to issue her a new I-94 to coincide with you, and the will let her enter on her TD visa (her TD is dependant on you having ANY TN, not a specific one.

At some point after Sept she will need a new Visa at a consulate, but as long as she is in US (or short visits to Canada/mexico), he visa expiry doesn't;t matter.