Expired tourist Visa but still in Canada - Help!

MajMike

I have a contact who came to Canada on a tourist Visa (6 month) 4 years ago, wound up in the US, and needs to get home to Indonesia without US immigration problems.

Q1. Will Canada allow them back in from the US with their passport/long expired Visa? (on their way to the airport to return home)

Q2. Say they get back into Canada, can they simply go to the airport to fly home and be allowed to leave?

How to verify?

Triple

Not that I doubt you, but do you know where I can verify that (online or other)?

Thanks for your help.

It is common knowledge that there is no US exit control. You should be able to verify it by visiting DHS, CBP and/or USCIS.

One more question . . .

Triple Citizen

One more question, are you referring to Exit Control at the Canadian border, at the US airports, or both?

Thx a bunch :cool:

Not true. There are currently exit controls in most US airports. You would have to scan your passport before you leave or type in the information in the small information box to record your exit. If you do not do so, you would have problems coming back to the US later on. Although you would have to surrender you I-94, you still have to use this facility.

I do not know about Canadian airports although I have been to CND many times but all these have been through the US/CND border. No exit control on both sides but exiting through the main airports in the US you would face this. You would not be allowed into CND if you do not have a visa or if not travelling visa free (if your passport allows so).

Let us agree to disagree. What you are taking about is about voluntary action an individual can take to ensure his/her re-entry into the states is problem free. When I say "There is no exit control in the US", I mean, there is no compulsary inspection of passsport/documents by an officer for everyone departing the US. Even for people undergoing Special Registration, they are asked to see an officer before departing. However if they do not, nothing is stopping them from boarding a plane without being inspected. Of course, they will have a lot of trouble trying to get back in the US.