Experience: PCC at CGNY

jigesh

Registered Users (C)
Yesterday I and my wife got police clearances (PCC) from the consulate general of India, New York (CGNY).

I thought of writing here this experience in order for others to get some detailed idea. However, kindly note that our case is slightly deviant (will be clear below).

I am Indian passport holder living in the US since 1999 and my wife is Russian passport holder having lived in India for four years between 1995 to 1999 and living in the US since 1999. So PCC from CGNY for her was required for her Indian stay.

We mailed our applications with notarized photocopies of all non-blank pages of our passports on 12/20/2003 and the consulate entered it in their system on 12/23/2003. I called them (1-212-774-0667) around tenth of Jan and that's how I came to know about this date.

On 4th Feb 2004, I sent them our passports which they received on 5th Feb as per FedEX tracking. I called them on 12th Feb to know the status since we did not receive passports by mail. I was told that my PCC was ready but my wife's PCC was awaiting for Indian Consulate, Moscow's response (from where she got her Indian visa in past). I reminded them that 45 days have passed and requested to issue PCC since we would be going to India for the US immigration visa (IV) interviews. The lady on the phone asked me to call on 02/16/2004 and she was very kind and co-operative and assured me that her PCC will be issued.

Since 02/16/2004 was holiday at my work (and the consulate was open on President's Day), we decided to visit CGNY instead of calling. The inquiry window took our inquiry and the lady who was on phone with me earlier recognized our case and our past conversation. She told I didn't need to take the trouble of visiting them as our PCCs were ready and she was to mail them the next day (today - 02/17/2004). I thanked her and told since we already came to the consulate, we would better take PCCs/Passports in person. She agreed and asked us to collect them in the afternoon (4:30pm), which she indeed gave us at 4:30pm yesterday.

My PCC reads as follows:

NYCG***Number*** Date *****

POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE

This is to certify that there is no adverse information in respect of my name, s/o my father's name, holder of Indian Passport No. ***Number*** issued at ***city on ***date, which would render him/her ineligible for the grant of travel facilities including visa for USA.

Round Stamp of the consulate Sign and square stamp of the assistant consul

My Passport also was marked as PCC issued on.....

Now, my wife's PCC read as:

NYCG***Number*** Date *****

POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE

This is to certify that there is no adverse information in respect of my wife's name, d/o my wife's father's name, holder of Russian Passport No. ***Number for the period of her stay in India from ***date***to date**.

Round Stamp of the consulate Sign and square stamp of the assistant consul

Her passport was NOT marked about PCC issuance and her PCC did not contain "which would render him/her ineligible for the grant of travel facilities including visa for USA." line which was there in my PCC.

I did not ask why but my understanding is that Indian consulate can not comment on grant of travel facilities for a third country (US) to a non-Indian (my wife) - that's why the last line was not there in her PCC. In the same way, they probably can't put any stamp/info other than the Indian visa in the passport of non-Indians - that's why her passport did not mention about issuance of Indian PCC (like my passport did). Again, these are my assumptions only and I don't think these should be an issue during the IV interview in Mumbai.

Hope this might be useful to some with similar case in future.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Last edited by a moderator:
jigesh:

Excellent posting. Just a suggestion do not make assumptions when it comes to CP and especially ones own CP.

If I were you I would call CGNY and explicitly ask the lady why that statement is not in your wife's PCC and the stamp in the passport. Since this is an Indian PCC .... I am under the impression they should be able to include at least the statement in the PCC. I can understand Indian Consulate cannot stamp in a non-Indian Passport (but ask the lady about this too?) Absence of that statement defeats the whole purpose of a PCC! I may be wrong but I have a feeling they should be able to put the stamp in her passport too..but clarify this!

do let us know what comes out of this conversation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Divekar,

Thank you for your words of caution.

I just called them and she replied on the same lines as I thought in my previous post. They can't put stamp in my wife's passport because they are not authorized to put any notes (other than visa) in foreign passports.

In a similar way, the last line in my PCC was absent in my wife's PCC because as per the lady on the phone "we can not recommend a non-Indian for issuance of travel facilities from countries other than India especially since your wife no longer maintains legal residence in India - so we can only comment on her non-criminal record during her period of stay in India."

Peace of mind now....

By the way, my Indian passport is valid 20 years - will it create any problem at the POE?

Thank you.

Jigesh

jigesh:

That is good news and well i did learn something new today from your posting.

As far as your passport is concerned, I dont think it should be a problem. But just out of curiosity normally Indian passports are valid for 10 years. How come it is valid for 20 years in your case? You must be special!

I think in 1995 or 1996, they were issuing 10-year passport (Rs. 400) and 20-year passport (Rs. 800). I opted for 20-year passport. After couple of years, they stopped issuing 20-year passports. My passport expires in 2017. So far everyone in the US has shown surprise over 20 year validity (like the guys at Social Security office and motor vehicle license offices) but never a serious problem. I have many visas from many countries and haven't experienced any problem because of 20-year validity issue.

However, I got concerned today because a colleague of mine told me that his friend was jailed in Mexico for 3-and-a-half month on the suspicion of fake passport by the US officers while crossing the border as they never knew about 20-year validity of passoprts!! So I hope I don't end up the same way upon POE!!!

jigesh:

O cool! Like I wrote before...you are special! I got my first passport in dec 95 from mumbai passsport office but for 10 years and that too with errors in the passport. Now 6 months back I got a new passport made from consulate in new york for another 10 years.

Don't worry about your 20-year valid passport since it was issued by passport authorities and it is valid. Does not make sense to worry since you are right!

Check this out ..

Originally posted by jigesh
However, I got concerned today because a colleague of mine told me that his friend was jailed in Mexico for 3-and-a-half month on the suspicion of fake passport by the US officers while crossing the border as they never knew about 20-year validity of passoprts!! So I hope I don't end up the same way upon POE!!!

Don't mean to scare anyone but it was scary to me. I think this is what you are refering. http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113785

It doesn't look to affect you though as at POE you will be carrying IV packet.

Thanks for the link. It seems the expiry date on his passport was altered (though legally) that's why suspicion arose.

Indian Passport Validity

For a brief period (during 1999 -2000), Indian consulates issued passports that are valid for 20 years. My passport is valid for 20 years as well. They have discontinued that practice since.

Originally posted by jigesh

By the way, my Indian passport is valid 20 years - will it create any problem at the POE?

Thank you.

Jigesh

Only if you are trying to cross the border from Mexico to US.

Was reading about a dude in Indian Express who went for revalidtion. The US PoE/Border Patrol guys threw him in prison claiming that he had forged his p/p.

Might want to catch hold of the IE from last week.

HI Jigesh,

PCC validity.

Is PCC valid from the date of issue for 6 months or the
date you submit the PCC application with the Indian consulate.

Rams

rams71:

the PCC validity is 6 months from the date your pcc is issued (not from pcc application date).