Existing OCI card holders need to get Surrender certificate if they need consular services.

Await_GC

Registered Users (C)
Existing OCI card holders need to get Surrender certificate even if they don't need consular service

I send a email to NYC consulate asking if exisitng OCI card holder who have cancelled their passports when they got OCI still need to apply for surrender certificate.

I got a reply saying we are still required to get Surrender Certificate as this is required irrespective of us obtaining any consular services from the Indian Mission.

Not sure how they will enforce this. Maybe indian immigration officers asking for it when you travel to India??? I hope they publish clear rules regarding this new rule to the airlines if they plan on enforcing it as how often people visit consulate website to read rules before travelling.

I guess I am going to wait a couple more months before I apply for one with hopes that this rule gets changed. Maybe not???

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet, so they would either way get $175, you already canceled your passports or not :) ... I Love how they do business :)

Sweet, so they would either way get $175, you already canceled your passports or not :) ... I Love how they do business :)

My wife did renounce her Indian citizenship while applying for Visa a month ago but I 'am not sure whether they still need 175

My wife did renounce her Indian citizenship while applying for Visa a month ago but I 'am not sure whether they still need 175
when did she got Visa? Now the Travisa ask renounce Form and $175 +Entry(X) Visa fee 100+13=113. Total they ask is:175+113

Going forward they may ask for surrender certificate if we us citizens (who where previously indian citizens) want any service from the indian consulate.

Some how they want to make us pay. Today/tomorrow :(

Hopefully they will not bother us in immigration at mumbai airport!! Will travel with cancelled indian passport as well, just in case!

G

I am landing in Bangalore first week of June. Have Cancelled passport, but no SC. Will see what happens. I think I will get this SC after I come back and when the dust settles.

Hopefully they will not bother us in immigration at mumbai airport!! Will travel with cancelled indian passport as well, just in case!

G