Entering US for the second time

Natalina

Registered Users (C)
Hi, everybody!
I have B2 visitor Visa multi for 2 years, it expires in December, 2011. I arrived first time to the US in February 28, 2010 and I may stay until August 27, 2010. Then I extended my stay for next 6 months, so it will be until February 27, 2011. Now I want to come back to my country, in December, before my stay here expires. If I decide to come again for the second time to the US, may be in January or February next year (2011), can I have some difficulties with my arrivel, may be I need some documents and how long may I stay this time in the US, or it is better to stay here until February! May be somebody have the same situation, thank you for all advise and help and information in advance!

I don't think second time is going to be a issue, issue is that it will seem like you are living here and going back home for a visit.

So you will stay in the US from Feb 2010 to December 2010, a stay of 10 months. Then you will go back to your country for 1 or 2 months and then want to return? You may be given a tough time at the POE.

I arrived first time to the US in February 28, 2010 and I may stay until August 27, 2010. Then I extended my stay for next 6 months, so it will be until February 27, 2011. Now I want to come back to my country, in December, before my stay here expires. If I decide to come again for the second time to the US, may be in January or February next year (2011), can I have some difficulties with my arrivel

Thank you for your note! Yes, it can look like that. Does it mean that this issue will certainly cause some problem by arrivel in the airport and what can also happen in my situation?

Thank you for your advice, but can I really have my visa voided? What should I do in my case? To stay untill February and then come back to my country?

If you have to stay until February, then it makes sense to just stay until February. Make sure you leave before the I-94 expires. Then when you do leave after staying in the US for a year, do not visit for at least another year.

Thank you for your advice, but can I really have my visa voided? What should I do in my case? To stay untill February and then come back to my country?

Ok, I see, thank you! But the situation is that I have to come to my country in December this year and I' d like to come back to the US in January next year (2011) because my visa is valid until the end of 2011. Does It make sense to do? And what kind of tough time can I have at the POE?

Thank you for information! So, if I right understand it, I can re-enter the US only after the year or more after staying here for a year or 10 months. What do you think, can I have a chance (may be a very little) to get restricted time and not refused entry at the POE if I will proof that I am just visitor and not living in the US. Is it possible or I have to much risk? Thank you for all advice and help!

You are slightly misunderstanding the point I am trying to make. The key is to appear that you are a genuine visitor. The POE officer makes such a determination based on your visit intentions and also takes into account your previous travel history. Turning up for a second visit within 2 months after a 10-month visit will most likely invoke the interest of the POE officer. Your travel pattern will clearly show that you spend more time in the US than outside the US. There is no hard and fast rule here, but a genuine visitor should always spend less than 6 months in any rolling 12 month window inside the US.
For example, in 2001, when I used to live in Canada, I made 7 visits to the US in 3 months time that were all business related. Most were 2-3 days in duration and one was a two week long stint. I spent a total of 25 days in the US during those 3 months. I never had a problem on any of those 7 entries because my travel patterns did not indicate that I was actually living in the US.

I hope you understand now.

So, if I right understand it, I can re-enter the US only after the year or more after staying here for a year or 10 months. What do you think, can I have a chance (may be a very little) to get restricted time and not refused entry at the POE if I will proof that I am just visitor and not living in the US. Is it possible or I have to much risk? Thank you for all advice and help!

In all this back and forth, you never did say the reason for your trips to the U.S. or the return home. Or any prior trips to the U.S. or any family ties to the U.S.

Just an observation.