Employment Authorization Question - Please share your thoughts

cadel said:
Wantmygcnow,What I do know is,to work for Post office,you need to be a us citizen or a PR.I'm so surprised the USPS hires you just by showing an unrestricted SS card and ID.I have an unrestricted SS card since the grant of my asylum in 2000.In 2003,I passed a test for New York Police Department(NYPD) as a Traffic Enforcement Agent.Since I had no GC,my job was pending.When I received my GC on Sep 20 ,2005,I called my investigating officer, forwarded my Gc and then they finally hired me Oct 10,2005.So,to be a police officer,I need to be a US citizen,This how it works.The only unrestricted sociale didn't work.Good job = Social security card+ state ID +Proof of citizenship.

Good federal job you mean... :)

I have a related question to you guys.
I have recently started working for a Fed. Gov. Agency as a contractor. Is it necessary to have a citizenship for getting a permanent position? Does anybody have any similar experience? In most of the interviews I have experienced they ask for US Citizen because they wanted to get a person who is able to clear top security clearance. But isn’t it possible to get a Gov job which doesn’t require top security clearance as an Asylee.
In my lame understanding we should be treated like GC holders. :-(

cadel said:
Wantmygcnow,What I do know is,to work for Post office,you need to be a us citizen or a PR.I'm so surprised the USPS hires you just by showing an unrestricted SS card and ID.I have an unrestricted SS card since the grant of my asylum in 2000.In 2003,I passed a test for New York Police Department(NYPD) as a Traffic Enforcement Agent.Since I had no GC,my job was pending.When I received my GC on Sep 20 ,2005,I called my investigating officer, forwarded my Gc and then they finally hired me Oct 10,2005.So,to be a police officer,I need to be a US citizen,This how it works.The only unrestricted sociale didn't work.Good job = Social security card+ state ID +Proof of citizenship.

oh I didnt see this post, I believe that is the answer to my question as well.

mmbutt said:
I have a related question to you guys.
I have recently started working for a Fed. Gov. Agency as a contractor. Is it necessary to have a citizenship for getting a permanent position? Does anybody have any similar experience? In most of the interviews I have experienced they ask for US Citizen because they wanted to get a person who is able to clear top security clearance. But isn’t it possible to get a Gov job which doesn’t require top security clearance as an Asylee.
In my lame understanding we should be treated like GC holders. :-(

Not all federal government jobs require us citizenship. I clerked at a federal appellate court before.