Effect on TN Visas under Trump Administration

Do you mean: "Will the ability to work in US on TN status be affected under Trump rule?"
Who knows? TN (then known as TC) existed before NAFTA.

Do you mean: "Will the ability to work in US on TN status be affected under Trump rule?"
Who knows? TN (then known as TC) existed before NAFTA.

Thanks for Answering Nelsona.

I know am thinking too much, but was just wondering as Trump was saying he would Renegotiate or Cancel NAFTA, what would be the situation of existing TN visa holders or New TN's?

while no one knows, I think what nelsona mentioned above could provide clues. Its possible they negotiate and TN continues to stay....

The TN worker portion of NAFTA actually benefits US firms, which are the last constituent that Trump is going to annoy.

Every treaty has cancellation protocols, and NAFTA is no different. Nothing, short of war, would happen instantaneously.

Put it this way: You are more likely to lose your job tomorrow at the simple whim of your employer, that at the whim of Trump.

Positively thinking, If NAFTA goes for a review then TN or something new may even get better too. Like dual intention for TN and work permit for TD. Who knows...

Thanks for your inputs Nelson and Hellomister..!!

Yes agree with you Sunflower101. Only time will tell..:)

I got newsletter from an immigration firm...they had an interesting tidbit on potential TN changes under trump presidency....

1. TN status: Trump has promised to withdraw the U.S. from NAFTA, which not only facilitates free trade with Canada and Mexico, but also allows certain professionals who are citizens of Canada and Mexico to obtain TN status for employment in the U.S. Although the U.S. may withdraw from NAFTA 6 months after providing written notice, which would bring an end to TN status, Trump is likely to soften his stance post-election and renegotiate as opposed to withdraw.

Been sh**ting my pants thinking about this very issue. Realistically, I think the aspect of NAFTA that Trump and Congress are most concerned with is manufacturing jobs going to Mexico. To a lesser degree, they are also concerned about Mexican TNs resulting in overstays and thus illegals. So they should just renegotiate the "Mexican side" of NAFTA.

But with Trump, who knows. He and his admin might not think things through and tear up the whole agreement rather than fixing the parts that "don't work."

If they end NAFTA and H1Bs, the US will have few if any sources of skilled, mid/high skill labor...not sure if that causes concerns for American competitiveness.

I had the same fear since many months ago, since it is a sensitive thing for me, after all, I do not think they may simply (cancel) existing TNs, they may stop issuing new ones, but it is only my way of analyzing!

they wont just cancel everything one day... per the trade agreement, US has to give a 6-month notice before it can withdraw...

Hi, I have offer from a US employer and ready to apply for TN1 Visa. Please advise is it a good time to move to US on TN1 when Trump is gonna be president who wants to renegotiate the NAFTA. There is only one category under Computers for which TN1 visa is available.

Please advise.

Unfortunately there's no easy answer for this. things may or may not change so you'll have to think and decide accordingly. sorry couldn't be of much help....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/donald-trump-trade-memo-transition/index.html

Trump transition team's memo on the first 200 days focuses on renegotiating or ending NAFTA. It begins....

More seriously, we'll see where this goes. The memo acknowledges that it's preliminary in nature, seems to just commission studies (who knows what the results will be), and seeks bilateral agreements if there is an end to NAFTA. I expect plenty of lobbying to preclude an end to NAFTA, but with this administration, who knows if they'll listen

"The memo notes caveats, including that there could be negative consequences of withdrawing from NAFTA. But the document also notes those impacts could be mitigated if the US were to pursue bilateral trade agreements with Canada and Mexico."

while nothing is guaranteed, I do think that if the US were to withdraw from NAFTA, they will likely pursue a bilateral agreement with Canada.