• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

edv,education and job in us

pawanlamichhane

Registered Users (C)
Respected friends,
I am a 19 yrs boy from nepal.If luck favours then i will come to us as my wife have been selected for edv 2014 and we are waiting for second letter.I m a high school student.cleared +2 of our country that is passed 12th class.After coming to us how can i persue my further education and what about job will i find job there with my this qualification.i dont have any work experiencses nor taken any trainings.please help me..how to earn my livelihood there..thanks

why no one is replying this post..please reply to the answer.i need ur help.suryanepal,bristion,baku...where u?

Several people have already answered many of your questions (I have also sent you several responses via PM and also in the forum), but you have re-posted the same questions over and over again which wears down peoples patience. You have also received some very wise counsel on this thread – and you haven’t responded to those points at all.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...ny-age-limit&p=2631056&highlight=#post2631056

Regarding practical issues there are several excellent threads that you should read.

For example this thread has good information about the costs you will incur, along with getting a place to live, a car and so on.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...ck-from-Successful-DV-Selectees-In-USA-Please

All the answers to your questions can be found on existing answers here – please read and carefully consider how to make things work. None of us know your personal situation and you may well have a great plan for your new life in the States but at your age and without friends and family support you will find things are very challenging. Are you prepared for that?

Several people have already answered many of your questions (I have also sent you several responses via PM and also in the forum), but you have re-posted the same questions over and over again which wears down peoples patience. You have also received some very wise counsel on this thread – and you haven’t responded to those points at all.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...ny-age-limit&p=2631056&highlight=#post2631056

Regarding practical issues there are several excellent threads that you should read.

For example this thread has good information about the costs you will incur, along with getting a place to live, a car and so on.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...ck-from-Successful-DV-Selectees-In-USA-Please

All the answers to your questions can be found on existing answers here – please read and carefully consider how to make things work. None of us know your personal situation and you may well have a great plan for your new life in the States but at your age and without friends and family support you will find things are very challenging. Are you prepared for that?
i dont know why u have such egos frns.Yes i was totally worried at first coz my situation was unique and i was in great tension those days.But after proper counselling from consultancies and counselllers i am able to relief my self n be positive.I have plentyof time so i am asking u all in advance.N yes i want to be prepared for all things.i will have my exam of CA during octobers n septembers.so i am asking u all these days..and i have already said sorry for the repeated question.Dont torture me again friends.i m just high school student.+2 pass.i have nt get answer of question regarding my case.That how to get job there.how to continue career there.its the matter of life friend.please help me..N now i dont like to take tension anything.jst waiting second letter.thanks..

i dont know why u have such egos frns.Yes i was totally worried at first coz my situation was unique and i was in great tension those days.But after proper counselling from consultancies and counselllers i am able to relief my self n be positive.I have plentyof time so i am asking u all in advance.N yes i want to be prepared for all things.i will have my exam of CA during octobers n septembers.so i am asking u all these days..and i have already said sorry for the repeated question.Dont torture me again friends.i m just high school student.+2 pass.i have nt get answer of question regarding my case.That how to get job there.how to continue career there.its the matter of life friend.please help me..N now i dont like to take tension anything.jst waiting second letter.thanks..

Well I am 30 years older than you, so that might explain my ego. Sheesh. After that, part of me wants to just wish you luck and move on - but I must be in a good mood today....

OK - you are 18/19 years old. You don't yet have a degree, and your English is pretty good, but not perfect. For work I can only imagine you getting low paid work - less than $9 or $10 per hour. So if you and your wife are lucky enough to both get one or two jobs each working around 60 hours a week (in a country where there are already a lot of people unemployed), you might be able to earn take home salaries of around $3k per month between you. If you could do that you would be doing well. However, will have to pay rent/transport/food/utilities/health insurance and so on so I would say pretty much all the $3000 per month would go on living expenses.

In order to continue your education you would need to go to college outside of your working hours, and college will take another 30-40 hours per week. You will have to pay for tuition and expenses for books etc - so I would guess that might be another $1k per month. On you wages you probably can't afford the $1k per month and there won't be a lot of time left in your week for sleeping or recreation because you'll be working your *** off in school and work. If your wife wants to continue her education also, that will be another $1k a month. College will be in English of course, so that will be tough - but I'm sure you and your wife will learn fast. You might be able to spread the cost of education with student loans, but without credit history/family to co-sign that will be a tough ask.

If you have any marketable skills perhaps you could get higher paid work, but you haven't mentioned any skills like that, so that might be a problem.

Of course for the first few months you probably won't get enough work straight away so you should have at least $10k in savings just to start you off (more would be better).

Basically it will come down to self reliance, hard work, luck and having plenty of money. Do you have lots of money saved up or can your families support you?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks sir

Well I am 30 years older than you, so that might explain my ego. Sheesh. After that, part of me wants to just wish you luck and move on - but I must be in a good mood today....

OK - you are 18/19 years old. You don't yet have a degree, and your English is pretty good, but not perfect. For work I can only imagine you getting low paid work - less than $9 or $10 per hour. So if you and your wife are lucky enough to both get one or two jobs each working around 60 hours a week (in a country where there are already a lot of people unemployed), you might be able to earn take home salaries of around $3k per month between you. If you could do that you would be doing well. However, will have to pay rent/transport/food/utilities/health insurance and so on so I would say pretty much all the $3000 per month would go on living expenses.

In order to continue your education you would need to go to college outside of your working hours, and college will take another 30-40 hours per week. You will have to pay for tuition and expenses for books etc - so I would guess that might be another $1k per month. On you wages you probably can't afford the $1k per month and there won't be a lot of time left in your week for sleeping or recreation because you'll be working your *** off in school and work. If your wife wants to continue her education also, that will be another $1k a month. College will be in English of course, so that will be tough - but I'm sure you and your wife will learn fast. You might be able to spread the cost of education with student loans, but without credit history/family to co-sign that will be a tough ask.

If you have any marketable skills perhaps you could get higher paid work, but you haven't mentioned any skills like that, so that might be a problem.

Of course for the first few months you probably won't get enough work straight away so you should have at least $10k in savings just to start you off (more would be better).

Basically it will come down to self reliance, hard work, luck and having plenty of money. Do you have lots of money saved up or can your families support you?

thanks sir..but my friend had told $5oo will go in rent,n $300-$400 will go in food if we have it in our home?if so please tell what is actually.

thanks sir..but my friend had told $5oo will go in rent,n $300-$400 will go in food if we have it in our home?if so please tell what is actually.

So are you thinking that you can survive on $900 per month - for two of you? The answer to that would be NO (at least anywhere close to a place that has jobs, schools, etc.

Maybe my view is somewhat skewed by my experience but I just don't think two people can survive on less than $2k per month (and that would NOT be much of a life).

I have to admit its pretty surprising how people have the misconception that life in America will be easy without proper skills or a decent amount of savings and that too considering the state of the US economy at the moment even with the NYSE and DOW shooting up (which I feel is equivalent to pumping air in a punctured tyre).

pawanlamichhane, out of curiosity why do you even want to move to America at the age of 19? And that too with the added responsibility of a wife and without any work experience or higher education?

As britsimon said on another thread, this isn't simply about getting a visa and your life being set because it is way much more than that.

Rents (depending on the area) can be anywhere from $700 (in a total dump of a neighbourhood full of crime) to $1,500 in a decent neighbourhood. The only exception is if you are staying with family or if you are lodger paying for only a room in that house.

Food expenses - britsimon isn't referring to eating out in restaurants man. A restaurant bill itself there can hit between $50 to $100 depending on where you eat. Walmart is supposed to be the cheapest supermarket and even they have increased their prices. People spend up to $1,000 on food at home. I mean lets face it are you going to sit and starve yourself to save money? The only exception is if you are staying with family or someone who knows you and is willing to foot the bill for your food or you pitch in towards food expenses.

Then you have things like utility bills (electricity, water, gas etc.) unless you choose to sit in the dark and without heating during the winter to save money.

Health insurance - this is the killer (and britsimon is sharing his valuable insight on this with me on another thread - thanks britsimon) because this is the most expensive part of expenses. Supposing you or your wife fall sick and need medical care, what will you do? Hospitals will not take you in without medical insurance or upfront payment. I know this for a fact because when my brother fell sick in Florida 10 years ago, we had to take him to hospital and because our health insurance did not have USA coverage, we had to pay $2,000 (if I recall correctly) for overnight emergency care.

Car expenses - America literally runs on cars. It is an absolute necessity to have a car in America otherwise you will be totally handicapped so first you need to buy a car, then fork out the insurance, then fork out money to pay for petrol. Gas mileage is the mentality for most people in a America. The more unfriendly a car is on gas mileage the more money it will cost you.

Higher education - with what I make of your financial situation it seems you need all the help you can get. The vast majority of foreign students who come to universities in America are on financial aid and they have to pay this money back. Not only that, there are also conditions placed on that financial aid like maintaining a certain level of grades. As britsimon said, first you need to work and save up, then pay the education fees plus extras for books and being a permanent resident would mean having a credit history in order to apply for student loans which you won't have when you enter America so you'd have to pay your own way through initially.

To reiterate/echo britsimon's words, it is all about perseverance/hard work, a positive attitude, lack of fear, an understanding of the reality that is America, a good education background, skilled work experience and money money money and more money.

The reason many people flop when they go to America is because they didn't understand the reality beforehand and weren't prepared so reality slapped them in the face...

Better think this move to America carefully my friend otherwise you may make a mistake which you would regret. A Green Card doesn't mean life in America will be a picnic...

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - Not yet - expecting this by 18th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - hopefully by 24th June latest.
Medicals - Scheduled for next week (week of 17th June) as soon as I receive my 2nd NL
Interviews - Hopefully in early August
Visa Pick up - Hopefully in early August
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles

Good post Momo.

The US is great and has a good quality of life and is generally affordable (even healthcare and housing) IF you have a decent job which pays a decent salary. If you only have a high school education and no work experience, it will be tough. I don't know what you can make flipping burgers in Macdonalds, but it's unlikely to be enough to fulfill the American dream.

I know it's not a popular opinion on this particular board but I think the moves the US is making to scrap the dv lottery in favour of easier access to STEM grads etc makes a lot of sense, both for the US itself and for immigrants.

I have to admit its pretty surprising how people have the misconception that life in America will be easy without proper skills or a decent amount of savings and that too considering the state of the US economy at the moment even with the NYSE and DOW shooting up (which I feel is equivalent to pumping air in a punctured tyre).

pawanlamichhane, out of curiosity why do you even want to move to America at the age of 19? And that too with the added responsibility of a wife and without any work experience or higher education?

As britsimon said on another thread, this isn't simply about getting a visa and your life being set because it is way much more than that.

Rents (depending on the area) can be anywhere from $700 (in a total dump of a neighbourhood full of crime) to $1,500 in a decent neighbourhood. The only exception is if you are staying with family or if you are lodger paying for only a room in that house.

Food expenses - britsimon isn't referring to eating out in restaurants man. A restaurant bill itself there can hit between $50 to $100 depending on where you eat. Walmart is supposed to be the cheapest supermarket and even they have increased their prices. People spend up to $1,000 on food at home. I mean lets face it are you going to sit and starve yourself to save money? The only exception is if you are staying with family or someone who knows you and is willing to foot the bill for your food or you pitch in towards food expenses.

Then you have things like utility bills (electricity, water, gas etc.) unless you choose to sit in the dark and without heating during the winter to save money.

Health insurance - this is the killer (and britsimon is sharing his valuable insight on this with me on another thread - thanks britsimon) because this is the most expensive part of expenses. Supposing you or your wife fall sick and need medical care, what will you do? Hospitals will not take you in without medical insurance or upfront payment. I know this for a fact because when my brother fell sick in Florida 10 years ago, we had to take him to hospital and because our health insurance did not have USA coverage, we had to pay $2,000 (if I recall correctly) for overnight emergency care.

Car expenses - America literally runs on cars. It is an absolute necessity to have a car in America otherwise you will be totally handicapped so first you need to buy a car, then fork out the insurance, then fork out money to pay for petrol. Gas mileage is the mentality for most people in a America. The more unfriendly a car is on gas mileage the more money it will cost you.

Higher education - with what I make of your financial situation it seems you need all the help you can get. The vast majority of foreign students who come to universities in America are on financial aid and they have to pay this money back. Not only that, there are also conditions placed on that financial aid like maintaining a certain level of grades. As britsimon said, first you need to work and save up, then pay the education fees plus extras for books and being a permanent resident would mean having a credit history in order to apply for student loans which you won't have when you enter America so you'd have to pay your own way through initially.

To reiterate/echo britsimon's words, it is all about perseverance/hard work, a positive attitude, lack of fear, an understanding of the reality that is America, a good education background, skilled work experience and money money money and more money.

The reason many people flop when they go to America is because they didn't understand the reality beforehand and weren't prepared so reality slapped them in the face...

Better think this move to America carefully my friend otherwise you may make a mistake which you would regret. A Green Card doesn't mean life in America will be a picnic...

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
2nd NL - Not yet - expecting this by 18th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - hopefully by 24th June latest.
Medicals - Scheduled for next week (week of 17th June) as soon as I receive my 2nd NL
Interviews - Hopefully in early August
Visa Pick up - Hopefully in early August

Like.

suggestion

Hello all,
I am from nepal and have been selected for further processing in DV 2014. I have filled my form and mentioned I American embassy in Sweden as preferred processing spot as I am relocating on August 14th 2014. However, My current address at present is in Nepal and I mentioned the same in form. Will they transfer my case in american embassy in sweden? what should I do Now

Hello all,
I am from nepal and have been selected for further processing in DV 2014. I have filled my form and mentioned I American embassy in Sweden as preferred processing spot as I am relocating on August 14th 2014. However, My current address at present is in Nepal and I mentioned the same in form. Will they transfer my case in american embassy in sweden? what should I do Now

Eh you're relocating to Sweden in August 2014??? DV-2014 ends in September 2014! How do you plan to go to Sweden so close near the end of the DV???

If you mentioned that you want to be interviewed at the US Embassy in Sweden then that is where your interview will be scheduled but looking at your time of relocation (assuming your case number is low) then how do you plan to go about this???

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania
Visa Pick up - Hopefully August 11th
Departure Date - August 17th 2013