Educational Expenses for US born kid

leo78

Hi Everybody,

We are Indians expecting our baby in Dec 2006. We don't have any plans of settling down in US and intend to return back to India in 2yrs time.

I'm concerned about the kids educational expenses in India since he/she will be an US citizen. Taking the PIO card is probably the first step and then we can decide on OCI. But under both PIO/OCI categories they would be on parity with NRI with respect to educational expenses. Is there a way out or should we pay a different fee in comparison to Indian born children?

We still have time to decide whether we want our child to be born in India or US. Any suggestions on this issue are welcome.

Thanks in Advance,
Leo

leo78 said:
Hi Everybody,

We are Indians expecting our baby in Dec 2006. We don't have any plans of settling down in US and intend to return back to India in 2yrs time.

I'm concerned about the kids educational expenses in India since he/she will be an US citizen.

leo78 said:
We still have time to decide whether we want our child to be born in India or US. Any suggestions on this issue are welcome.

A child of an Indian citizen parent still has the right to claim Indian citizenship by descent, even if born in the US. We are in that situation ourselves (got an Indian passport for our US-born baby). But there can be complications when traveling between the two countries. See our thread about that at http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=210962 for a discussion of that problem.

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

Same Question

Hi Leo,

Even I have the same question. My due date is in March. Even we have same questions. Did u find the appropriate answer to your question?
Did u find out about the educational problems for US citizen in India?
Do reply me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Educational expenses in India for a US born child

Hi,

I am also having the same question and eagerly waiting for the response from others. I have no idea about it. Can anybody shed a light on how much it would be expensive to get a US born child education in India. Are there any other good or bad experiences, someone had in India, with a US born kid.

Thanks
Msingh

All,

If you are planning to make a single trip from the US to India and live there for the next 18 years, you can get your baby an Indian passport and not a US one, and after establishing residency in India, it will be treated the same as anyone else for educational purposes. It is no problem unless the child needs to make another trip to the US.

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

Last edited by a moderator:
Tantom, thanks for your reply. Given a choice I would like to get US Passport and later on US citizenship for my child, provided I can get him good education in India without paying in dollars. We may or may not visit again to US but after 18-20 years child may want to come to US. So I want to keep that option for him. So in true sense my question is how difficult or easy it is to get a child education in India who is US born.

Thanks in advance
Msingh

msinh100,

we are in the similar situation and also have more-or-less similar mindset in terms of getting the US passport.

So, we thought of getting some information from the schools in India. We also thought of asking some of our friends to find out about this from the teachers they know of. Do you think you can do this as well?, in the locality of your preference (because, this changes from state to state, city to city and even localities in the same city). For example, one school in the city may understand that your baby was born when you were in US on job and may agree to charge the same fees, but another school may not be ready to do that!

hope this helps!

Hi All,
Even we are expecting our first child in US in May 2011. Would really appreciate your help on deciding US passport or indian passport? I have few questions (since this thread is little old, want to confirm if anything is changes since then..)
1. When we apply for the indian passport at US embassy, can child still get the US passport later in life(may or may not before the age 18) by surrendering the indian passport?
2. Can we apply for his/her US passport in any US consulate in india?

Thanks,
Avv