EB1 EA self-petitioning help

energydude

Registered Users (C)
Hello there, I'm glad to have found this forum.

Can someone help me with my EB1 EA self-petition? I'm a postdoctoral fellow in theoretical physics.

I'm looking for sample reference letters, cover letters etc from people who have successfully petitioned. You don't have to be a physicist...I just need to get some idea of how to write.

I am ready to pay for them if desired. You dont have to give me any personal details at all.

Please email me at rahul137@gmail.com.

Thank you.

I have self-petitioned my EB-1 EA but in a music field. Therefore I can't help you with sample reference letters, but I can share with you the basic principles my cover letter was written on.

A. The actual cover letter (1st page) lists:
- the NSC address you're filing to
- date
- title (Re: I-140 Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, ORIGINAL SUBMISSION; Petitioner/Beneficiary: [Your Name])
- text (something like "Dear Sir or Madam, Please find enclosed an I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) by me as self-petitioner/beneficiary. The petition is on the basis that I am an alien of extraordinary ability in [your field] under § 203(b)(1)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The initial petitioning documents are submitted as following:
1. This cover letter.
2. Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) executed by [Your Name].
3. Supporting documentation, exhibits 1 – [N].
4. Filing fee in the amount of $195.00 for Form I-140.")

B. The following pages of the cover letter (or what attorneys might refer to as "memorandum in support of a petition") have to prove that you are eligible in EB-1 EA category. This may include:
- citation of the law ("Pursuant to § 204.5(h)(3) of the 8 CFR, a petition for an alien of extraordinary ability must be accompanied by evidence that the alien has sustained national or international acclaim and that his or her achievements have been recognized in the field of expertise. Such evidence shall include evidence of a one-time achievement (that is, a major, internationally recognized award), or at least three of the following: (i) Documentation of the alien's receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field of endeavor; (ii) Documentation of the alien's membership in associations in the field for which classification is sought, which require outstanding achievements of their members, as judged by recognized national or international experts in their disciplines or fields; (iii) Published material about the alien in professional or major trade publications or other major media, relating to the alien's work in the field for which classification is sought. Such evidence shall include the title, date, and author of the material, and any necessary translation; (iv) Evidence of the alien's participation, either individually or on a panel, as a judge of the work of others in the same or an allied field of specialization for which classification is sought; (v) Evidence of the alien's original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field; (vi) Evidence of the alien's authorship of scholarly articles in the field, in professional or major trade publications or other major media; (vii) Evidence of the display of the alien's work in the field at artistic exhibitions or showcases; (viii) Evidence that the alien has performed in a leading or critical role for organizations or establishments that have a distinguished reputation; (ix) Evidence that the alien has commanded a high salary or other significantly high remuneration for services, in relation to others in the field; or (x) Evidence of commercial successes in the performing arts, as shown by box office receipts or record, cassette, compact disk, or video sales".)
- you have to pick at least 3 out of those criteria, clearly state them (I did it in separate paragraphs) and explain how each of them applies to your case; give details, underline (or "bolden" or both) the key points that you want to draw attention to, provide plenty of references to exhibits.

C. You might also want to put in a separate paragraph a statement confirming your current lawful status in the US (and include a copy of the proof of status).

D. In the end, you might want to write a summary, making a conclusion from all the facts you presented. It would also be a good place to list (and, of course, further attach copies of) pre-arranged commitments / contracts that demonstrate your intent to continue working in your field (important!), as that is required for EB-1 EA category more so than being employed (actually, you don't have to have an employment offer at all).

E. It's not a bad idea to insert page numbers as well as tabs that make it easier to get to exhibits.

This is my input. Hope it helps. If in doubt, please seek more information as well as professional advice. Also, here are a few links you might find useful:

- http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/eligibility.htm
- http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm
- http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/employerinfo/Bull14final110303.pdf
- http://www.twmlaw.com/resources/immigrant/immigrant11cont.htm
- http://www.americanlaw.com/extraord.html

Good luck!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi civ2ru, thanks for your detailed reply. The links are very helpful too.

I was wondering if I can use my full membership of Sigma Xi as evidence of membership of international associations. Full membership is an election based on whether you have first author papers or not. Anybody did that?

Concerning awards, I received a very competitive prize from my graduate school for research. Only 6 prizes are given in a total grad student body of 11,000. Will this pass muster??

energydude said:
Hi civ2ru, thanks for your detailed reply. The links are very helpful too.

I was wondering if I can use my full membership of Sigma Xi as evidence of membership of international associations. Full membership is an election based on whether you have first author papers or not. Anybody did that?

Yes, you should be. Sigma Xi provides a certificate and a letter stating the fact that you have been selected by a group of experts to be a full member based on your contribution in the field of research. You should submit copies of that.

Concerning awards, I received a very competitive prize from my graduate school for research. Only 6 prizes are given in a total grad student body of 11,000. Will this pass muster??

Yes, that should be considered as well as long as you have documents to prove that.

EnergyDude,

Welcome to the board!! I am in the same boat as you are. Trying to file EB1-EA before the end of this month, to take advantage of the current PD.

What field of theoretical physics do you work on? It would be most helpful for you if you can get eminent people, particularly those who do not know you personally, from your field write reference letters for you.

Here is a general format of the reference letters:
Para 1: I writing for XXX. I know him through XXX (better if I do not know XXX personally, just know about his research)
Para 2: Credentials of the person writing the letter
Para 3: Describe the research (use the keywords outstanding, exceptional, extraordinary, unprecendented, remarkable etc.)
Para 4: Mention that your work has been published in reputed journals and widely cited
Closing Para: Again, XXX is extraordinary, truly deserving of the green card.

Your supervisors may also comment on your awards to show that you are at the top of your field.

Hope this helps.

hi kumar, im in particle theory. however, i have only 5 publications and 13 citations. two of the pubs just came out last month. do you think i have any chance?

i don't want to do NIW because that will restrict my future career. also PDs are not current for EB2.

Having fewer publication and low citations should not discourage you to applying under EB1-EA. I think you should make your case that it is exceptionally hard to make any progress in theoretical particle physics. Therefore, number of publications, and therefore citations, in this field are fewer compare to other fields, for example, biology. You should also stress the fact that only the best and the brightest do research in particle physics, and even getting one publication in this field is a big achievement.

From you previous post, I get a sense that you might change your field in future. If you are planning to leave particle physics and go to wall street and make a career as a quant, you should keep in mind that under EB1-EA you are expected to continue working in the same field, at least until you get your actual GC. I know that people provide affidavit saying that "I xxx plan to continue working in my field etc.".

Hope that helps.

Hi Kumar, indeed I am planning to change career. But I have also done some research work in quantitative finance which was application of some physics stuff to finance.

I can get letters from a couple of industry people and a finance professor (in addition to the physicist recommendations) testifying to my "exceptional ability" in applications of physics to financial risk research. I will say "Physics and it's applications" in my affidavit.

Does that sound acceptable?

energydude,

I am not sure if mixing physics with finance is a good idea. May be you should consult some experienced people.

Yes, you should be. Sigma Xi provides a certificate and a letter stating the fact that you have been selected by a group of experts to be a full member based on your contribution in the field of research. You should submit copies of that.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought now they do not think Sigma Xi membership means anything. Of course you can mention it but I was thinking that saying too much about Sigma Xi was asking for trouble.

Unfortunately, they are not that mean this time in terms of Sigma Xi membership. It's too easy to get. Two first author papers and a thesis/dissertation counts as one. Almost everyone is qualified.

Well, the next step is to be elected a Fellow of the APS (American Physical Society). However APS Fellows in Particle Physics generally have a lifetime of contributions and are very prominent professors in the field...

By that logic it will take me about 20 years to get a green card assuming I survive in physics that long.

YouApproved said:

Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought now they do not think Sigma Xi membership means anything. Of course you can mention it but I was thinking that saying too much about Sigma Xi was asking for trouble.

Unfortunately, they are not that mean this time in terms of Sigma Xi membership. It's too easy to get. Two first author papers and a thesis/dissertation counts as one. Almost everyone is qualified.

Hi civ2ru,

I am petitioning for a EB-1EA first preference green card in the field of music as well.
I have desperately been searching for sample cover letters but unfortunately wasn't able to find any.

Since you also petitioned in the field of music I kindly wanted to ask if you could help me with some sample reference letters?

You would be a great help!
Thank you.

Respectfully

eb1 ea in music

I am intending to apply EB-1EA in music. Anyone here being successful willing to answer a few questions> My lawyer gave me a 2:3 probability, but I wonder if my chances diminish if I apply by myself.

I have self-petitioned my EB-1 EA but in a music field. Therefore I can't help you with sample reference letters, but I can share with you the basic principles my cover letter was written on.

A. The actual cover letter (1st page) lists:
- the NSC address you're filing to
- date
- title (Re: I-140 Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, ORIGINAL SUBMISSION; Petitioner/Beneficiary: [Your Name])
- text (something like "Dear Sir or Madam, Please find enclosed an I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) by me as self-petitioner/beneficiary. The petition is on the basis that I am an alien of extraordinary ability in [your field] under § 203(b)(1)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The initial petitioning documents are submitted as following:
1. This cover letter.
2. Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) executed by [Your Name].
3. Supporting documentation, exhibits 1 – [N].
4. Filing fee in the amount of $195.00 for Form I-140.")

B. The following pages of the cover letter (or what attorneys might refer to as "memorandum in support of a petition") have to prove that you are eligible in EB-1 EA category. This may include:
- citation of the law ("Pursuant to § 204.5(h)(3) of the 8 CFR, a petition for an alien of extraordinary ability must be accompanied by evidence that the alien has sustained national or international acclaim and that his or her achievements have been recognized in the field of expertise. Such evidence shall include evidence of a one-time achievement (that is, a major, internationally recognized award), or at least three of the following: (i) Documentation of the alien's receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field of endeavor; (ii) Documentation of the alien's membership in associations in the field for which classification is sought, which require outstanding achievements of their members, as judged by recognized national or international experts in their disciplines or fields; (iii) Published material about the alien in professional or major trade publications or other major media, relating to the alien's work in the field for which classification is sought. Such evidence shall include the title, date, and author of the material, and any necessary translation; (iv) Evidence of the alien's participation, either individually or on a panel, as a judge of the work of others in the same or an allied field of specialization for which classification is sought; (v) Evidence of the alien's original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field; (vi) Evidence of the alien's authorship of scholarly articles in the field, in professional or major trade publications or other major media; (vii) Evidence of the display of the alien's work in the field at artistic exhibitions or showcases; (viii) Evidence that the alien has performed in a leading or critical role for organizations or establishments that have a distinguished reputation; (ix) Evidence that the alien has commanded a high salary or other significantly high remuneration for services, in relation to others in the field; or (x) Evidence of commercial successes in the performing arts, as shown by box office receipts or record, cassette, compact disk, or video sales".)
- you have to pick at least 3 out of those criteria, clearly state them (I did it in separate paragraphs) and explain how each of them applies to your case; give details, underline (or "bolden" or both) the key points that you want to draw attention to, provide plenty of references to exhibits.

C. You might also want to put in a separate paragraph a statement confirming your current lawful status in the US (and include a copy of the proof of status).

D. In the end, you might want to write a summary, making a conclusion from all the facts you presented. It would also be a good place to list (and, of course, further attach copies of) pre-arranged commitments / contracts that demonstrate your intent to continue working in your field (important!), as that is required for EB-1 EA category more so than being employed (actually, you don't have to have an employment offer at all).

E. It's not a bad idea to insert page numbers as well as tabs that make it easier to get to exhibits.

This is my input. Hope it helps. If in doubt, please seek more information as well as professional advice. Also, here are a few links you might find useful:

Good luck!!! :)

Hi, thanks for carefully replying in this blog. I have question about possibilities for me to apply for EB1A. Here is brief about me:

PhD in Neuroscience from India.
Got postdoc in US on J1.
Applied for EB2-NIW in Jan 28th, 2010.
Got EB2-NIW approved Mar 30th, 2010.

My profile:
- Current Research: Stem cell transplantation and Neuroscience
- 11 Publications (1 review paper, 9 res papers), more than 20 citations
- News and Media reports (including LA times, Google news etc etc: >20, throughout the world)
- Book Chapters: 1
- Conference presentations >10
- Research fellowship: 1 (India)
- Poster award: 1
- Best research award: 2
- Accreditation to professional organizations: 4 (out of this: 3 are Invited or recommended affiliations)
- Research Grant (on Stem cells): 1
- Journal reviewer experience: for 3 international journals
- Total research experience (including 5 yrs of Phd): 10 yrs
- Already approved for J1-212(e) waiver

Question: I just don't have unbearable patience to wait for my Priority Date to become current for my approved EB2-NIW.

My lawyer is willing to try form EB1A, ofcourse, by charging fees !

Am I eligible to apply for EB1A? (I don't think that my present employer with sign on I-140 for EB1-OR)

Your suggestions and response will be greatly appreciated.

EB1 EA self petition

hi civ2ru,

can you help me apply as a musician for EB1-EA. can you share any sample letters you used for recommendations and cover letter as a musician?

can you give more specific details to whats required as a musician? for example what are the professional associations you are a member of? and have you judged others?

thanks,

Hello everyone,

I am planing to hire a lawyer to handle my NIW case. Here is my information:
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, from a US University
Will start my post-doc in a month, same school
1 book, 9 journal papers, 9 conference papers, 2 book chapters and all in my field
above 75 citations
Reviewer of more than 10 journals papers, member of editorial board in an ISI journal and advisory board in another one

I appreciate if you guys help me for following concerns:
1- How much is my chance for NIW?
2- How to find a trust-able lawyer who has the knowledge?
3- What is your estimate for the time from filing to approving?

Many many thanks and wish you good luck for all.

Best

Esi

So, if you petition for your brother today, his visa issuance date would be sometime in 2018. After he's deported, he will have to stay out of the country for at least ten years so if you file an I-130 for him now, he will be close to the end of the time he's barred from coming back when the visa is ready.

EB1 Application

Hi civ2ru,

Could you please share your letters of recommendation. I am really having trouble writing about myself.