Easiest Gateway to USA from canada

rajeshpri

Registered Users (C)
I am on AP (with EAD and I1485 receipt ) in USA. I have my canadian landing papers and will be landing in canada to activate it. I was worried about having problems getting back into USA becaause of my Canadian Immigrant status (just in case US immigration questions me as to why I took canadian PR when I have US GC application in final stage)...
Which is the US port of entry which is easy and polite..I know toronto border is bad...can someone suggest some good choices....Thanks

No Title

Make sure you have valid I-94. When I came back from Canada I had problems but I was able to explain that it was quite ok to do that. Later I realized that they questioned me because of my expired I-94. And it stayed in my record. When I came backe from home later into Dulles, I was questioned again.

Nandit....

My I94 is expired and I cannot get one because I am no more on H1 status. I am on I485 / EAD status (which is fully legal). I also have a Advanced Parole to make a travel and come back. My only fear was, will they cause a problem on the way back into USA because I just landed in canada as Immigrant and I have USA GC in final stage?

No Title

rajeshpri

I read in some posts that some people who drove to toronto faced problems(questions asked ) but I haven\'t read any post that if one flew into toronto and on the way back have problems.

I am planning to fly to toronto.

No Title

I landed with my AP. Before going to Canada, I called INS National Service Center (the toll free 1-800-??????). The immigration Information Officer told me, "Sir, our decesion has nothing to do with what you do in another country." But the guys at the Rainbow Bridge was not aware of everything. About ten people got together with me to ask questions. I told them what the INS had told me. They called a few places and finally let me in. I then went to India. On my way back at Dulles airport they saw in their computer that I had a Canadian PR. They agian questioned the validity of it. I was again able to explain to them what the law said and what the INS National ???? Office told me. They seemed to understand me.

Good Luck

No Title

Can you pl. post here, what you could able to explain them about law. And what
makes them to understand. Becuase this important to know for other folks in the
same situation. I\'ve filed my I-485 and waiting for my Medical/PR papers. Pl. explain
it clearly.

Recommendations on going through US border.

Just some recommendations from when I was crossing and at the same time applying for a TN work visa (so everytime I had to go into the office and deal with the officers in there rather than just at the booth you drive through).

I have heard the Detroit border crossing is problematic and the Niagara Falls border crossing is much better. I always went through the Niagara Falls crossing.

I crossed a few time at the Niagara Falls border crossing. Its better to go earlier in the day (or very late) as by the end of the regular work day (5pm or so) the officers can be quite frazzled and in a bad mood. Also if you think there could be any problems with your visa its best to go during the day and not at night as the supervisor (who is much more knowledgable) is normally not there at night.

NEVER argue with the officer regardless how inane/stupid their comments are. Always say yes and act thankful.

I also went one time around lunch time and the officer really gave me an easy time as he seemed to be eager to go to lunch.

NOTE: This is just my personal experience and obviously will be different for each person.

No, this was all before Sept 11th.

But I wouldn\'t think things changed drastically in terms of which borders crossing are more/less problems than others.

Recieved PR, but need advice

Gurus:

Just received the Landed Immigrant Status from CAN. I should move to canada before the end of April 2002. My GC (USA) is in the DOL stage at California ( may take another 3 months to get cleared ).

I want to go to canada some time in the month of April, register as Landed Immigrant and get back to US ( to seek 6 months time initially ). I am at present with a good client.

Could you, gurus, please advice,
1. The problems... at the border... I would face while going to CAN and solution thereto.
2. The problems I would face while getting back to US and solution thereto. Also what documents I should carry to convince the authorities at the port.

I have been in good standing in US for a long time ( 8 years )
Thank you very much for your time and very valuable advice.
It is because of advices from you gurus, I have seen, many of my friends were benefited in the past.

Regards,

Nat
San Jose

Hardly a guru ..but here are my $0.02

1) Landing in Canada, use the road. Since you are in san jose,
( like me ) ..take a flight to seattle and drive to the peace arch
crossing or the douglas crossing ( truck crossing ) to Vancouver.

2) I used enterprise out of Sea-tac for car rental...tell them
  that the destination is Vancouver. At the border, the officer
  asked my wife and I about all the travel plans, guns, cigarrettes
  etc. then sent us inside.

3) we had CDN $12K in equivalent US travellers checks ( use AAA )
   , a few questions then over to customs..another counter that
   asked for goods to follow list ..include 2 copies and prices
   in CDN dollars. also car titles originals .

4)On the way back...there is usually a long wait at the US border at
peace arch, so use the douglas crossing or the one at aldergrove.
anyway show your visa, and or H1 I-94...a few Qs asked about where
what kid of work I did in the US...usually they do not isssue a
I-94 and they do not stamp the passport on entry.

hope that helps..carry paystubs, H1 orig approval notice,
offer letter and current employment letter. I carried old
H1 approvals , all my certificates origianals too. dont turn
in your I-94 to the canadians unless they ask you to.

THANKS tt tt FOR YOUR VALUABLE INFO

Thanks tt tt for your message.

It, certainly, is NOT just 2 cents tt.

May I ask you some more info please.

1. Did they ask you to submit I-94? When did you land in CAN.. Was it before 9/11 or after.
2. Do I have a right to tell them not to take I-94 if they try?
3. Also when you first checked at the Canadian Port of Entry, did you tell them that you would be going back to US after a few days.
I dont know how to manage this tt. Could you help me on this. Also I have a kid who goes to school here and I am thinking of giving his education as a reason to stay in US for few more months (like not to break his studies in the middle of the year etc). Does this sound OK.
4. Will this(entries being made in Passport etc)in any way impact GC Process in USA. Been through lot of tough times tt. A person like me would never value your advice as just 2 cents. Again thank you very much for your valuable time in giving the reply. When you find time, please provide your advice.

With great regards,

NAT

answers embedded below

May I ask you some more info please.

1. Did they ask you to submit I-94? When did you land in CAN.. Was it before 9/11 or after.

>> They dont care about your I-94. But I would suggest that you
remove the I-94 from the passport and then present it to them, that
is what I did. otherwise on the way back the INS can ask you for $6.00
to issue a new I-94.

2. Do I have a right to tell them not to take I-94 if they try?
>> Yes , you can tell them that you may need it to get back the
remaning goods from the US...99% they will not care about it.

3. Also when you first checked at the Canadian Port of Entry, did you tell them that you would be going back to US after a few days.
>> No need to volenteer any information. Let them know that you
plan to look for a place to stay and to search for jobs right away.
The officers are usually very friendly and polite.

I dont know how to manage this tt. Could you help me on this. Also I have a kid who goes to school here and I am thinking of giving his education as a reason to stay in US for few more months (like not to break his studies in the middle of the year etc). Does this sound OK.
>> Like I said before do not volenteer any info. If they ask very
closely then you may give that reason but usually they dont care.

4. Will this(entries being made in Passport etc)in any way impact GC Process in USA. Been through lot of tough times tt. A person like me would never value your advice as just 2 cents. Again thank you very much for your valuable time in giving the reply. When you find time, please provide your advice.
>> My lawyer said it should not, plus I saw quite a few posts that
said that people had both CDN and US PR stamped without any issues.

what else can I remember from my trip:

1) Try to land during the day time, the canadian roads are just
like the US ones but signs are not so obvious, plus the french
west/oueste east/easte does not help..speed limit is 90Km.

2) YOu can get the SIN # applications at the border post itself.
The address in vancouver is 757 west hastings street, sinclair center,
on the top floor. they accept a california address for the SIN #.

3) If you want to open a bank account call up HSBC or TD canadatrust
for an appointment. Oh...cashier\'s check from a US bank take 6 weeks
to clear, but travellers checks ( I used the ones from AAA ) are
cashed by the bank right on the spot.
You cannot get health insurance unless you stay there for 2-3 months,
if you want a drivers lic# , you will have to surrender the calif
licence visit www.icbc.com.

4)I landed in May, so things were pretty cool at that time.

5) I would recommend searching misc.immigration.canada on deja.com
for "landing experiances" from Peter Lim. He has written a pretty
informative post.

6) Lastly dont forget to visit victoria and vancouver island, it is
a beautiful place.

hope that helps.

THANKS tt tt

Thanks for your message tt tt.

I was too busy with too many things and so did not have a chance to even read any messages in this site. It took me more than a month to settle down after moving to East Coast.

This message is to thank you for your reply dt 01/16.

Rgds,