EAD vs H1B

vikramab

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I am completing 6 years of H1B with in a month, I have a EAD, wondering do i need to go for H1B (7th year) extention or just use the EAD. I am with my employer and I have no ideas of moving from him.

Can you please let me know which is safe bet.

My 140 is approved more then a year back n 485 is pending from Nov 2003.

Thanks in advance !

vikramab said:
Hi Guys,

I am completing 6 years of H1B with in a month, I have a EAD, wondering do i need to go for H1B (7th year) extention or just use the EAD. I am with my employer and I have no ideas of moving from him.

Thanks in advance !

I would advise you to stay on H1B if your employer is willing to pay for H1B extension as I heard that H1B extensions are getting expensive. Or else, work on EAD, and since you are working for the same employer nothing makes any difference.

I had asked the same question to my lawyer a few months back and her suggestion was to stay on H1 as long as possible until your 485 gets approved, because there might be a chance of you being out of status if anything goes wrong with your 485. yeah... it might cost you a bit, but i say its worth it. dont you??

Good luck

vikramab said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance !

Are you married? If you have no problem with your statuses you can use EAD. It is cost effectieve.

VI485 said:
I had asked the same question to my lawyer a few months back and her suggestion was to stay on H1 as long as possible until your 485 gets approved, because there might be a chance of you being out of status if anything goes wrong with your 485. yeah... it might cost you a bit, but i say its worth it. dont you??

Good luck

As always, staying on H1B helps, but when you feel about out of status issues - the money that you spend is worth and even more worth if your employer spends on your behalf.

Good Luck!