EAD Question THANKS for reading

vishy71

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks

The uncertainty of all this is totally killing me.

I want to move but the fact that EADs expire in a year and people here have had to go on unpaid leave if EADs are not renewed in time is not an option for me.I happen to be a physician,and if I accept a job with an EAD, and something like that happens it will be disastrous,I cannot afford to sit at home doing nothing while an EAD is pending.

In all your collective wisdom,how does it work out ,I mean a lot of you folks are living this and have had EAds renewed after having switched employers and so on and so forth.

Should I just look for an employer who will sponsor an H1B for me?Its hard to do that at this time,witht he kind of jobs I am looking for,I have been asked numerous times whether I will need an H1B(read: we cannot sponsor an H1B)

Also ,if I eventually sign up with an employer ,I am responsible for presenting the I-9 correct?

You are really looking at this the wrong way! If you are so worried, just apply for EAD renewal 6 months in advance of when your current one ends. Right now, it takes about 2 months for an EAD, so just apply really early and you will be okay...it's only $120 and your overlap will be such that you will only get 7-8 months worth out of an EAD, but who cares!

Last year, EADs were taking 4 months, but you could always go to the local office and get one after 90 days.

You are fine if you keep renewing your EAD every 6 months!

If EAD is pending for more than 90 days you can go to local office collect an Interim EAD. So apply EAD before 3 to 4 months of expiry.

If you relay feel suffocated and you have an approved I-140 and I485 is pending for more then six months you can do so.

AC-21 is designed for such reasons only.

Please provide the dates of events. It will be easy to answer.

I don't think you have a problem.

1. Make sure to apply for renewal 4 months before the expiry date.

2. If you don't get EAD before expiry date, go to local office and get Interim EAD - you need to original application and receipt.

3. Making sure I-9 is in order is employer's responsibility - not yours.

You are ok.

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies.I asked my lawyers office and they said it was MY responsibility to go up to the employer and say...listen I am on an EAD here sign the I-9.

If at all possible I'd rather not tell every recruiter I speak to that I have an EAD....did any of you folks tell your new emploer(AC21) that you were on an EAD?

Again I really appreciate your help ,I remember being on these boards a long time ago when my LAbor Cert had not yet gone through and here we are talking about EADs and AC21....been a long trip ,helps to knpow there are others in the same boat.

God Bless

I-9 form is responsibility of employer. If he is not getting it filled that means he is assuming that every thing is order. So you need not worry about I-9. You do not have tell any one. If asked you can tell them.
People say employer need to know about these things because he needs to give you employment letter to use it to file AC-21 papers.

If you want to know what is AC-21 and what all you need just search this forum you will have lot of information.

Verification of I-9 is the responsibility of the employer and there can be penalities if they don't properly verify the status of employee or hire illegalls. But on the other hand, you are yourself responsible for your employment eligibility depending on your status. If no currently valid EAD, no work. So you won't be harmed in any fashion with respect to I-9, but if you do work without valid EAD, it is an immigration violation. Just my opinion.