EAD - pickup or receive ?

milpride

Registered Users (C)
I got lil confused with how the process of getting EAD works. Some people say that they got EAD thru mail and some say that they went to INS office to pickup the EAD. Will we get the EAD thru mail or should we go and pickup the EAD ?

Can someone clarify? thanks in advance

-milpride

milpride said:
I got lil confused with how the process of getting EAD works. Some people say that they got EAD thru mail and some say that they went to INS office to pickup the EAD. Will we get the EAD thru mail or should we go and pickup the EAD ?

Can someone clarify? thanks in advance

-milpride

If it's married based and through MSC, then you will get by mail. Don't be confused. Be happy all the time. Good luck.

thanks dip !!

one more silly (may be dumb) question....in case if we have to pickup the EAD, should the beneficiary go ? or the petitioner go ? or any one of them can go to pickup the EAD?

Hey,

You pick up your EAD at your local INS office if it is an interim EAD. Your permanent EAD is issued by the National Service Center and mailed to your door. This policy of mailing the EAD has recently been enacted for family based cases.

I should knowm, my husband has had 4 EADs!! For three years, he had to pick up them in person at the INS office. Then, this year, he had to get an interim while the permanet was still being processed. He made an in person visit for that one too. About a week later, the permanent one was mailed to him. All four times he made his trip to INS, he went alone.

Kiska

I think things are changing drastically some of us do not know....posts like that of Kiska helps us to understand what was before and what is now...cos like myself I am still confused how EAD is processed and if FPs are needed for it...it seems they are just processed if you have a pending 485 and mailed off to you...please let me know if I am correct...thanks

NC Girl,

From what I understand now when you file an I-485 and also the work authorization, you will have an appointment to submit your biometrics at your local INS office. Biometrics include your fingerprint and signature. Before, this was done in person at an EAD appointment when the application was ready. Now, family based cases EAD are processed much the same way as employment based cases. Once you have submitted your biometrics, the application is fowarded to the national service center for processing and you will receive the card from them by mail. As long as your I-485 is pending, you will need an EAD. My husband's I-485 approval was pending for a total of 38 months; hence, the 4 EADs. He would renew his EAD about 90 days before expiration. Now, INS advises you renew 6 months ahead of expiration!!. If you do not get your EAD after 90 days after you have filed, you may apply for an interim EAD in person at your local INS office and it will be issued on the spot. An interim EAD is good for 280 days while the permanent one is good for 360 days date of expiration.

Hope this helps,
Kiska

Nowadays through MSC/NBC and family base case:

To get an EAD you must have your Biometrics (only your index finger print and photo which they will take) at the same time they will take your finger prints for I-485. Other than interim EAD, they will not give you EAD in person. Only beneficiary can pick the interim EAD. Before established NBC/MSC, you could go your local office and get your GC by 1 month to 3 months depends on state. If they took more than 90 days then they would give you EAD, AP in person. But now things go different. Family based case is dealing by MSC which is nightmare. The whole point was creating MSC to expedite the process. But MSC is doing reverse way. Definitely we are suffering for MSC. Bottom line is that previous local system was real good. In my case I didn't see my father since last 4 years who passed away 31 Oct only for this stupid INS delay. Well pray for everybody. Good luck.

Dip

friends,

thanx for your insights....can you please tell me how the AP works ? is this something that we have to go and get it or send it thru mail?

thanks
milpride