EAD Card and approval notice lost in mail

kvangala

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I need some advice here on what should be my next step. I've applied online for extension of my EAD and also my travel document (I-131), and also got it approved on Oct 12th. But I haven't recd my EAD card and approval notice yet, thou I have recd my I-131 forms. When I called the immigration office, they told that it's all ready been mailed on Oct 17th. I should have already recd it by now, and also it did not go back to INS. What concerns me is, my EAD card expires this month and I have no new Card now and I have a biometrics appointment next month, When talked to my attorney, she mentioned that the fast way to resolve this issue is to apply again.

Would I be out-of status if I don't have the card in hand, though it's approved?
Can't the INS issue me any new card?

When called the INS, they told, they'll have to wait for 1month to see if they got the card back.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

kvangala said:
Hello All,

I need some advice here on what should be my next step. I've applied online for extension of my EAD and also my travel document (I-131), and also got it approved on Oct 12th. But I haven't recd my EAD card and approval notice yet, thou I have recd my I-131 forms. When I called the immigration office, they told that it's all ready been mailed on Oct 17th. I should have already recd it by now, and also it did not go back to INS. What concerns me is, my EAD card expires this month and I have no new Card now and I have a biometrics appointment next month, When talked to my attorney, she mentioned that the fast way to resolve this issue is to apply again.

Would I be out-of status if I don't have the card in hand, though it's approved?
Can't the INS issue me any new card?

When called the INS, they told, they'll have to wait for 1month to see if they got the card back.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
You'll NEVER be out of status since your 485 is pending.
You are always in legal status to stay in the US.

The only thing you'll can't do without a valid EAD is to work. You can take a leave of absence from when your EAD expires till you get the new card.

I would suggest you make an Infopass appt and go to your ASC and explain your problem - maybe they'll give you a temporary EAD right then !
Keep copies of everything - your receipt, online status printout etc etc.
Wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

I talked to my attorney, She said these things happen sometimes online and as long as it's approved, I am OK to work. I was asked to wait for one complete month since it's mailed and call the INS and fill out a form to order for a duplicate copy.

are you sure about the duplicate copy can be asked. I had exact same situation for my wife. But what we were told is that there is no way of re-issuing a duplicate. And so they said we have to apply again. And i had to apply again for her. so i would not take chance on that front. There is no harm in re-applying as now a days the applicaiton is not taking more than a month for approval.

wish you good luck.... please keep us posted as to what you decide.

hi JackMike,

thanks for your concern, I guess what my attornet told was about an interim card. but that would be issued at local ins after 90 days of applied.
Was your wife working when her card was lost in transit? Or did she had to take off till she got her new card?

I was asked by UCICS to wait till it's one month after mailed it and fill out some form to get a duplicate approval form.

please reply