E3D filing for I-539 extension of stay

megdavidson26

Hi,

We need to file I-539 extension for stay for our 3 dependents (currently on E3D). My husband, the principal applicant does NOT need to file for an extension.

I would only complete an I-539 for each of the kids correct? Not an I-539 for my husband and I-539A's for the kids?

Yeah, you got it right! Since your husband, as the principal E3 visa holder, doesn't need an extension, you'd only file the I-539 form for each of your dependents. No need for any I-539A's for the kids either. As for the missing questions in part 4 of the I-539A, it's likely because the form is designed specifically for dependents and doesn't require all the information that the primary applicant's form does. It's kind of like streamlining the process for dependents. If you're unsure about any specific questions or details though, reaching out to an immigration attorney or checking the USCIS website for guidance could be helpful.

Yeah, you got it right! Since your husband, as the principal E3 visa holder, doesn't need an extension, you'd only file the I-539 form for each of your dependents. No need for any I-539A's for the kids either. As for the missing questions in part 4 of the I-539A, it's likely because the form is designed specifically for dependents and doesn't require all the information that the primary applicant's form does. It's kind of like streamlining the process for dependents. If you're unsure about any specific questions or details though, reaching out to an immigration attorney or checking the USCIS website for guidance could be helpful.
Thank you!

I also saw on the I-539, part 2 there is a question which asks:
Number of people included in this application - either I am the only applicant OR x number of members of my family are filing this application.

If you select the second option it says each co-applicant should complete the supplement (I-539a).

Is it possible to complete 1 x I-539 for one kid and then attach 2 x I-539a for the other kids? And submit all together with payment for 3 extensions?

Certainly, you are able to do this. When applying for several family members at once, complete one I-539 form for either yourself or a child of yours and then include individual I-539A forms for every other member in the family. If you need to apply for visa extensions for three children, complete one I-539 form for the first child and include two separate I-539A forms for the remaining children. Remember to provide payment covering all three applications and send them in one package.

Certainly, you are able to do this. When applying for several family members at once, complete one I-539 form for either yourself or a child of yours and then include individual I-539A forms for every other member in the family. If you need to apply for visa extensions for three children, complete one I-539 form for the first child and include two separate I-539A forms for the remaining children. Remember to provide payment covering all three applications and send them in one package.
Thank you so much for your responses, very helpful.

When I checked the fee calculator it said $370 for I-539 but nothing for I-539a. But it would be $370 x 3 applicants, correct?

I believe it is just one fee of $370, and no separate fee for the I-539As. Also note that if filed on or after April 1, the fee will be $420 if filed online, or $470 if filed by paper.

Thank you so much for your responses, very helpful.

When I checked the fee calculator it said $370 for I-539 but nothing for I-539a. But it would be $370 x 3 applicants, correct?
Correct. The main filing cost for the first person applying, often the family leader or top name on the document, is $370 for form I-539. But, you do not have to pay more for each I-539A form as they are extra forms for family members. Thus, when you apply for three children, just put in the main fee of $370 for the person applying first and add the I-539A forms for your other two kids with no added fees. So, your total fee would indeed be $370 for all three applicants.