E2 Visa + Green Card + MBA. Please help..

Lamberth

Hi everybody. Please I need some help.

I’ve been in the US for almost 3 years now on an E2 visa status. My current employer is willing to file a Labor Certificate for me with the DOL in order for me to attain immigrant status through employment-based immigration, and a green card in the end.

How long does this process take? How soon can I get a green card this way?

The thing is that I’m probably going to start a full-time MBA next year (September), so I understand my visa status will change from E2 to F1 (student visa).

If so, what will happen then? What happens to the ongoing green card application process? Does it get cancelled as I won’t be working for my employer anymore?

Thank you so much for your help

Anybody?
Thanks

I’ve been in the US for almost 3 years now on an E2 visa status. My current employer is willing to file a Labor Certificate for me with the DOL in order for me to attain immigrant status through employment-based immigration, and a green card in the end.

The thing is that I’m probably going to start a full-time MBA next year (September), so I understand my visa status will change from E2 to F1 (student visa).

If so, what will happen then? What happens to the ongoing green card application process? Does it get cancelled as I won’t be working for my employer anymore?

if you are no longer E2, you are no longer allowed to use the privileges that E2 hold. Adjust status to F1 and you become a student.

Although, if you STAY in the US and continue to keep your I94's valid the entire time, theoretically your E2 should remain intact as long as you are doing your duties as the E2 principal. You definitely need to consult with a proper attorney to make sure you are doing everything nice and legally.

As for the green card, it will probably depend on where you live and what the wait time is. Im sure it will be a matter of a few years at least.

Since you state your employer is willing to file for Green Card for you, we can assume you'll continue to work for them while pursuing your MBA? If that is the case, you would not need to change status to F1. You can work and study on E2. Now.. whether you can go from E2 to Green Card is a different story... anyone have any insight on this?