E2 -I140 to green card

shelley748

Registered Users (C)
Hi there... I would like some clarification please... is it possible to get a green card from an E2 visa? I have heard that if your company sponsors you for an I140 it may be possible? What if the person to be sponsored was the person that owned the franchise?

Is there a magic $ that the business has to be making in profit, other investments before this can happen?

Hi yes but not directly

E visa holder, gets The Company to file I 140, if approved you can the apply to adjust to LPR

The company must be substantial though, employ many and good profits, not marginal company

Last edited by a moderator:
Realistically, the E-2 Treaty Investor is not a gateway for obtaining a green card. Under the new PERM standards it is very difficult to obtain an approval for LPR for a company in which you partly own or a family member owns. This is an automatic red-flag.

If you have invested substantially ($1 million, 500k for under served areas), you could try for the EB-5.

Can somebody share some figure that would be defined as "not marginal company"? To get the E-2 in the first place.... $50K? $25K? I asked three different laweyers, got three different answers :(
I am in Florida on F-1, thinking about computer repair business or photography studio...

Can somebody share some figure that would be defined as "not marginal company"? To get the E-2 in the first place.... $50K? $25K? I asked three different laweyers, got three different answers :(
I am in Florida on F-1, thinking about computer repair business or photography studio...

It completely depends on the factors of your case. This includes: your home country, type of business, applying through U.S. Embassy abroad or COS, etc. I safe number is typically 100k. However, that is too low for some consulates, especially in the UK. If you are applying through CIS you may be able to get away with 50k. I think 25k is too low. Good luck!

E2-i140

I believe another way is for your E2 spouse to gain sponsorship from an employer (if you have one) - see my other post