• Yup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

BigWinston

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone!

I came over to Michigan from the UK a lot from March 2004 to March 2005, just on the 90 day I94 visa waivers. I had meetings all the time, etc... So much so that at around November 2004 my company decided I was over here so much, that they asked me to come and be based in Michigan until the start of 2006. They went through with Immigration lawyers and I picked up my E1 visa at the start of April 2005. At which point I rented an apartment, etc to take me up until December.

I started dating a local girl (now my wife to be) last October and she moved into my new place just a couple of weeks after I did (mid April). We got engaged about two months ago and plan to marry at the end of september.

My contract with my UK company is finishing at the end of December this year, so I hope to get my visa situation sorted before then so I can start a new job in Jan '06. I understand from reading all the useful threads (and one of my previous threads) that I need an EAD before I can start work anywhere. It seems to be turned around in about 60 days at the moment although I understand it can take as many as 90.

I've been recommended by a couple of friends that I should get a lawyer, but I know it's going to cost at least $2000 to do so and that's something I can't really afford at the moment. With my situation, do you think I should get a lawyer to do my paperwork, or is it straight forward enough that I can do it myself, given my situation and that I'm transferring from an E1 visa?

Once I'm married, what paper work must myself and my wife complete? I am finding it very difficult to track down exactly what documents I need to submit, a) for the EAD and b) for the visa.

I think I have to file for the E130. Can anyone confirm this for me? What other paper work must I submit along with the E130 application, with what personal documents, and what must I submit for the EAD?

I really appreciate any comments.

Thanks!

A Rather Daunted Ben!

BigWinston said:
Hi Everyone!

I came over to Michigan from the UK a lot from March 2004 to March 2005, just on the 90 day I94 visa waivers. I had meetings all the time, etc... So much so that at around November 2004 my company decided I was over here so much, that they asked me to come and be based in Michigan until the start of 2006. They went through with Immigration lawyers and I picked up my E1 visa at the start of April 2005. At which point I rented an apartment, etc to take me up until December.

I started dating a local girl (now my wife to be) last October and she moved into my new place just a couple of weeks after I did (mid April). We got engaged about two months ago and plan to marry at the end of september.

My contract with my UK company is finishing at the end of December this year, so I hope to get my visa situation sorted before then so I can start a new job in Jan '06. I understand from reading all the useful threads (and one of my previous threads) that I need an EAD before I can start work anywhere. It seems to be turned around in about 60 days at the moment although I understand it can take as many as 90.

I've been recommended by a couple of friends that I should get a lawyer, but I know it's going to cost at least $2000 to do so and that's something I can't really afford at the moment. With my situation, do you think I should get a lawyer to do my paperwork, or is it straight forward enough that I can do it myself, given my situation and that I'm transferring from an E1 visa?

Once I'm married, what paper work must myself and my wife complete? I am finding it very difficult to track down exactly what documents I need to submit, a) for the EAD and b) for the visa.

I think I have to file for the E130. Can anyone confirm this for me? What other paper work must I submit along with the E130 application, with what personal documents, and what must I submit for the EAD?

I really appreciate any comments.

Thanks!

A Rather Daunted Ben!

You dont need a lawyer, the forms are relatively simple. You could still consult one and pay lile $50-100 for the visit so you could ask questions and clear your doubts.

AS far as i understand your situation, you are on the E-Visa which lets you enjoy certain diplomatic rights, immunity and privileges. You are not eligible to adjust status to that of a PR within the US unless you file form I-508 where you declare to waive those special privileges. Rest of the process is same as others. I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131

You dont need a lawyer, the forms are relatively simple. You could still consult one and pay lile $50-100 for the visit so you could ask questions and clear your doubts.

AS far as i understand your situation, you are on the E-Visa which lets you enjoy certain diplomatic rights, immunity and privileges. You are not eligible to adjust status to that of a PR within the US unless you file form I-508 where you declare to waive those special privileges. Rest of the process is same as others. I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131

What does the timeline in your signature represent?