E-filling I-129 for a TN renewal for 3 Years

TechJunky

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

I'm filling out the form online to renew my TN visa, and I was wondering if someone could help me figure out a couple of things:

1.- Can I apply for a 3-year extension by using the I-129 form?

if so...

2.- Should I set the start date of the new visa to the date in which my current visa expires (2 months from now)?
(I will use this date in the form itself and also in the job offer letter)

3.- Should the job offer letter explain why the candidate is applying for an extension? in other words, does the job offer letter for a TN renewal differ from the letter used for a new TN visa?

Thanks !

Well sadly I couldn't get any help related to this post, even when I asked for help to one of the most active users on the site.

But luckily my petition was approved and now I'm able to answer my own questions hoping someone else might benefit from them.

1.- Can I apply for a 3-year extension by using the I-129 form?

Yes

2.- Should I set the start date of the new visa to the date in which my current visa expires (2 months from now)?
(I will use this date in the form itself and also in the job offer letter)

Yes

3.- Should the job offer letter explain why the candidate is applying for an extension? in other words, does the job offer letter for a TN renewal differ from the letter used for a new TN visa?

I read somewhere else in this forum that the job offer letter for a TN renewal does not necessarily differ from a regular TN petition, so I sent a similar letter to the original, and we just updated the date and added more info to my job description.

It took 5 months to process by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 6 TNs from 2 POEs in the last 4+ years but I am thinking that this year might not be the best time to go for a renwal. Just wondering about the following things regarding I-129 and would appreciate if you could expand on that.

1. Who files I-129? Employer or Employee?
2. Is the electronic filing of I-129 an alternate to mailing in the I-129 form? or are they both required?
3. How early can a regular I-129 petition be filed before the expiration of the current TN? Is it 6 months or less?
4. Who is supposed to sign on the I-129 form as the representative of the company?
5. How early can the premium processing form be filed before the expiration of the current TN?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that I-539s cannot be premiumed.

The employer can submit I-129 (either by mail or e-file) within six months of expiry (read the the I-129 instructions). Premium processing changes nothing about this. Many TNers prefer e-file as they can do it 'themselves', while the paper I-129 needs to be signed by a person with authority to sign such documents for the company. E-file requires no such signature, but the supporting docs you submit in the subsequent one-week time limit will include a TN letter of course, signed, no doubt, by that same person. E-file gets you your case number right away, while mail-in gets your receipt sent to your employer's HR, which may be a blackhole. Approval will always go to employer.

Case Status Service Online.

//egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp (add https: before the url, ha I'm not allowed to post urls yet)

TN -> 2 Months.

Thanks for the link. It does say 2 months for TN but can it go beyond that like 5-6 months? I see that it took you 5 months to get it. I may have to move to a new address in about 3 months time and that's what concerns me.

Yeah look at the times of my posts. I posted the first before e-filling the I-129 form, and the second a couple of hours after we got it in the mail.

I gave them a call a few weeks after I send the supporting documentation (I didn't get a tracking number, dumb me - take a lesson -, so I wanted to make sure they actually got my docs)

They said I can check on the status on my case after 2 months (which is the processing time of this type of application). So I called them 1 month and 29 days after we e-filled the form and they told me to call the next day, ha.

I called them again and they were like yeah it's been two months, wait one more, if you haven't heard from us give us a call.

So after one more month we called them again and my boss explained on the phone why it could be considered as an emergency. After 1 week we got a letter requesting supporting documentation, we mail them back after 2 weeks.
And then it took one more month to get the final response.

Quite an eventful process u had. Just wondering if it is allowed to change the mailing in the middle of the I-129 process incase if the process is delayed.

If you mean change to Premium processing? Yes.

Other changes? Probably risky, and no formal way of doing it.

So after one more month we called them again and my boss explained on the phone why it could be considered as an emergency. After 1 week we got a letter requesting supporting documentation, we mail them back after 2 weeks.
And then it took one more month to get the final response.

Had you originally sent supporting documentation? Did they request something unusual?

Thanks Nelsona. I was actually inquiring about the possibility of a change of address. Is it possible for me to put in the mailing address of my brother in Illinois in my I-129 application since I will be moving after 3 months. Currently I live in CT and my client is in NY?

There is methods in place for you to change address for pending apps. Consult the uscis website. It's done by phone, referring to your case number.