• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv_2009 from senegal

Your number should be current in August ,did you receive the 2nd NL?
What process you are going for CP or AOS ?

Your number should be current in August ,did you receive the 2nd NL?
What process you are going for CP or AOS ?

I did not receive the 2 nd letter I'm still waiting , but after contacting KCC they told me that they sent it , and i'm suppose to receive it in 10 business days .

I want AOS , je pense que ce pour AOS c'est arrivé aux US que je devrais remplir les formalités , ou bien il y a un frais ou un papier qu'il envoyer pour préciser ce choix ???

I want AOS , je pense que pour AOS c'est une fois arrivé aux US ,que je devrais remplir les formalités , ou bien il y a un frais ou un papier que je dois envoyer pour préciser ce choix ???

I have all required documents but not the affidavit of support (it's said that , i must have a permanent resident person who accept to sponsor me , and don't have it ) , also my bank account is not that full . I working (but not that work) .

ya Allah bakhna !

Experience Book
Category >> Immigrant Matters (Green card and related) >> Lottery Visas - DV

Lottery Visas - DV

Filter By Records/ page Sort By
&nbspAfter Before
Name
After Before

1) Comments: Today “03.03.2009†I had my interview: Location: Frankfurt-Germany.

---------------------------------- outside-Consulate-------------------------------------------------------
my interview was scheduled at 8:00 morning. I arrived at 7:45. The employee at the gate checked my name on the list and I was allowed to pass through the gate. And have Number
** Cell phones not allowed.
------------------------------------------- inside-Consulate-------------------------------------------------
** Feb.12, Medical done in München"Munich".

Abut 8:15 submitted photo.
Abut 8:25 I pay 775$.
Abut 8:40 Local officer checked all documents----> every thing is ok
---------------------------------------- Interview-------------------------------------------------------------
I waited until 9:10.
They called my number. I came to the window where a nice lady was working. She took my fingerprints, and I signed the forms DS 230 part II.

She asks me 4Q.
1-Where will you go in the USA?
A---------------------------
2-and when?
A2-----------------------------
3Can you talk a but your Education.?
A3---------------------------
She asks me if I have Qs.
A no---------------------------
She you will have your passport in 7days by mail.

Congratulation you pass the interview
Danke “thank “--------------------------

Abut 9:13end the interview. The interview time is 2-4 minutes.
-------------------------- Supporting documents------------------------------------------------------------

DV2009 supporting documents:
-Notification Letter
-Page with case number and bar code
- birth certificate, translation,
- High school
- B.Sc.
- M.Sc
-police certificates
-court and prison records
_ passport
_ US-size photos
-bank statements
***And one copy from the above

Good luck to everyone
Name: la1
Posted on: Mar 23, 2009 Email this link to friend(s)
2) Comments: Today “03.03.2009†I had my interview: Location: Frankfurt-Germany.

---------------------------------- outside-Consulate-------------------------------------------------------
my interview was scheduled at 8:00 morning. I arrived at 7:45. The employee at the gate checked my name on the list and I was allowed to pass through the gate. And have Number
** Cell phones not allowed.
------------------------------------------- inside-Consulate-------------------------------------------------
** Feb.12, Medical done in München"Munich".

Abut 8:15 submitted photo.
Abut 8:25 I pay 775$.
Abut 8:40 Local officer checked all documents----> every thing is ok
---------------------------------------- Interview-------------------------------------------------------------
I waited until 9:10.
They called my number. I came to the window where a nice lady was working. She took my fingerprints, and I signed the forms DS 230 part II.

She asks me 4Q.
1-Where will you go in the USA?
A---------------------------
2-and when?
A2-----------------------------
3Can you talk a but your Education.?
A3---------------------------
She asks me if I have Qs.
A no---------------------------
She you will have your passport in 7days by mail.

Congratulation you pass the interview
Danke “thank “--------------------------

Abut 9:13end the interview. The interview time is 2-4 minutes.
-------------------------- Supporting documents------------------------------------------------------------

DV2009 supporting documents:
-Notification Letter
- birth certificate, translation,
- High school
- B.Sc.
- M.Sc
-police certificates
-court and prison records
_ passport
_ US-size photos
-bank statements
***And one copy from the above

Good luck to everyone
Name: la1
Posted on: Mar 23, 2009 Email this link to friend(s)
3) Comments: DV 2008 CP Interview Experiences

Just came back to US, passed custom, and finally got our temporary visa (valid for one year) stamped. It's been a tough CP for both my wife and I. My wife is the primary winner and I am just the spouse. Her case number is 2008AS10XX and we had our interview on Oct. 1st in Tokyo, Japan. She is Japanese and I am from Taiwan. The interview took longer than we thought (about 10 mins or so) and did not go as smooth compare to other successful cases I read on this forum, needless to say about the painful waiting time.

Our appointment was 8:30 AM and, of course, we arrived much earlier than the appointment time. Since our appointment time was so early, we thought we should be the first one or two immigration visa interview at that day; however, there were eight groups in front of us already. Only the first calling (document checking) is following by the arrival order (we were No. 9), it became random calling after that (taking fingerprints, interview …etc.). I am not sure what the reason was (maybe we were couple or I am from different country than Japan), but many people came after us end up getting their interview before us.

10:45 AM was the time we finally talked to IO. The conversation started with simple greeting with oath and some straight forward questions, such as “how long you guys been live in the US”, “ how long you guys been married”, “where do you live in US?”, “What kind of job my wife has”. Then, the interesting part began, he started to focus on me. He asked about my military service and my job in detail, such as “what did I do in military?” and “What king of job do I have?”. Since I am a programmer, he started to ask my job description, and qualification, such as “what kind of programming do I do?”, “what language do I use?”, “examples?”, “what’s the requirement of my job?” …etc. I was not expecting to become the focus of this interview since I am not the primary winner.

After that, he had couple “concerns” regarding to my birth certificate and household registration record (Koseki) different than what they usually received from people from Taiwan. One problem was the format of my birth certificate. It did not have my name listed clearly at the beginning but at bottom right corner of the “paper” (not even in the form). It was issued from hospital where I was born and accepted by registration office as the “Official Birth Certificate”. It was original copy from hospital 33 years ago and now kept in registration office. I guess things were different back at that time.

Similar thing happened to my household registration record. I went back Taiwan to request the household registration record from household registration office. They issued only the part about me (my name, my ID number, my parents’ names, where I was born …etc.) and didn’t include the whole family’s information (my brother’s name, my sister’s name …etc.). Because of this, the print out has “partial” on the certificate title. The IO concern this might not include my complete information (he thought “partial” means “my partial information”).

As a result, he was saying that they needed to contact American Embassy in Taiwan to verify these documents and could not issue us the VISA until documents were verified. So, I suggest him to keep our passports and inform us when documents are verified and our VISA are issued.

We ended up had to take an additional week off, postpone our flight, and pay around $19 per call or per email to the customer care company authorized by the embassy to check on our visa status. There is no direct line to contact the Embassy, only through the customer care company. And, even the customer care company can only communicate with Embassy through Email. Each status check request submitted by custom and sent out by the customer care company will take up to three days to respond. We called 4 times and wrote one email, but no one could give us a clear answer whether document had been verified or additional document was need).

It took them 10 days to finally issue our visa. Those 10 days felt like a month long. My wife was so depressed that she had hard time to sleep. I felt so hopeless and kept contact my family in Taiwan to gather any additional document that might help embassy speed up the process, but to be honest with you all, even after I received my visa, I still not sure what was the correct birth document that helped me received the visa. IO kept mentioning about a document has a red seal on it, but none of my birth certificate or my household registration certificate has red seal on it.

In short, do as much research as possible (contact embassy if needed) to make sure what are those exactly documents does the embassy need and get them as early as you can (however, there is a “within 6 month” restriction on some documents, so be careful).

Above is my personal experience with Tokyo embassy, it might not apply to other embassy, so aware.

Finally, good luck to all of you who have your interview coming up!

For more information on this topic click here

Name: toughcase
Posted on: Oct 18, 2007 Email this link to friend(s)
4) Comments: almost successful..

Today we had our interview: Location: South East Asia

Our interview was scheduled at 7:00 morning. We arrived at 6:45. The employee at the gate checked our names on the list and we were allowed to pass through the gate without waiting in queue like non-immigrant visa applicants. We gave our cell phones to the security and entered to the site. There were totally about 7-8 usual and DV immigration cases. Exactly at 7:00 they started to accept applicants for submission the documents. I submitted our documents at 7:40. Local officer checked one by one, all documents, medical certificates etc and returned x-rays to us. After that we were requested to take a seat and wait. She did not give us any number and did not ask to pay the fees. We waited until 9:00, at the end she called my name and asked my wife to fill the sworn statement once again and send me to pay the fees. I paid the fees and gave the receipts to her. She told me that we will be called to be interviewed by the consular officer.

Around 10:00 they called our family name. We came to the window where a nice and very kind lady was working. She took our fingerprints first, and then we raised our hands, swear, and signed the forms DS 230 part II.

She asked 2 questions:

1) How long we have been in this country?

2) Where will we go in the US?

That’s all..!

After that we talked about Russian police certificate that I did not obtain yet. She was very helpful, she proposed some options to get the document that proofs I have no criminal record in Russia. She gave me the form on which clearly stated I need to provide them ‘police certificate from Russia’ and added I can bring it anytime with the passports and we will be granted visa. I hope I could obtain the certificate soon...

By the way, when I received the 1st NL I have noticed that during original entry I have interchanged my first and middle names. At that time I asked here several questions how to correct it. As I was advised here by the users like ‘gr8ideaman’ (special thanks to him) and later by KCC I filled the forms with the names as they appear on my passport. Consular officer did not ask anything about this mistake, on the form that I was given shown my correct name.

I hope my experience is helpful for the winners who will have an interview at later date.

Great thanks to all here for sharing information on this forum...

Good luck to everyone..

Name: dragoman
Posted on: Oct 18, 2007 Email this link to friend(s)
5) Comments: successful DV2006 AOS in Columbus, OH (finally!)

My Adjustment of Status I-485 based on DV2006 was finally approved in late August, after months of agonizing waiting and frustration. I had my interview Aug 21 and unofficially found out about the approval about an hour later (the immigration officer called my lawyer). I’m still numb from the months of anxiety since I first received the notification letter in May 2005 and filed in April 2006. I prepared the AOS forms myself, with the help of this and similar forums, and hired a lawyer only after I got nervous about the fact that my case had not progressed more than 3 months after I filed. It was a very stressful period while I was waiting for the biometrics notice to arrive (and it never did), but everything worked out in the end. I’m grateful to the powers that be, all the other people on this forum whose posts have helped me through the process (alincosma, greg_dv2006, vk96, sweetart, cynnus01, many others), and my immigration lawyer (I doubt he browses here, but I’m nonetheless grateful for his help). Sincere and heartfelt thanks to all. Good luck to current and future DV winners.

And to all the stragglers and people who feel left behind by a whimsical bureaucracy: there’s hope until the very end, so don’t lose morale. However, try to make peace with the worst case scenario, so that you don’t lose sleep unnecessarily.

I’m posting a detailed account of my experience, because reading about the experiences of others has helped me and I hope my case can help others. Before I go into a description of my Diversity Lottery 2006 experience, I’ll put the summary of my timeline and important milestones in the Adjustment of Status (AOS) process. I’m describing my process to the best of my recollection, but I may have accidentally missed something. Please keep in mind that I’m not an expert, so check the facts for yourself.

Apr 2006 DV rank current AS5xxx; living in Columbus, OH with H1B status
Apr 11 2006 AOS package at USCIS, Chicago
Apr 19 2006 NOA received (dated Apr 17) for I-485, I-765, I-131
Jun 26 2006 I-131 travel document approved
Jul 17 2006 walk-in biometrics taken, after INFOPASS visit
Jul 20 2006 I-765 EAD approved
Aug 04 2006 received interview letter for Aug 21
Aug 21 2006 interview; I-485 approved a few hours later
Aug 24 2006 received approval email from USCIS
Aug 26 2006 received welcoming letter from USCIS (dated Aug 21)
I never received a biometric appointment notice for either the I-485 or I-765, but I did the fingerprinting as a walk-in, on my fourth INFOPASS visit.

INFOPASS visits can be either very useful or somewhat useless, depending on which officer sees you. If you have a bad INFOPASS experience, try making another visit. Regardless of what happens, BE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL. Remember that our own case is extremely important to us individually, but the officials at USCIS see hundreds of people each week so they can’t be expected to worry/care as much as we do.

Here are important milestones for the AOS process:
1. Wait for your number to become current (I chose to wait until my number was current but many people file 3 months ahead of the estimated month). It’s hard to guess early in the DV fiscal year but after a few months, the progression of priority numbers is fairly linear, as can be seen from the Excel file I posted a while back. You can extrapolate a reasonable estimate of the month when your number will be current. Of course, it’s safest to wait until you know for sure, so proceed with caution.
2. Send your AOS package the Chicago lockbox. You should pay for all the AOS fees with a personal check drawn on a US bank, so that you can see if it’s been cashed. You should use a delivery method that allows tracking of some form. I believe that FedEx and similar carriers are preferable to USPS mail, because the tracking info is more reliable and updated more frequently.
3. Verify that your filing fees were accepted (check(s) cashed). Again, it’s easier to verify payment with personal checks than with cashier’s checks or money orders.
4. Receive your Notice(s) of Action (NOA) for the I-485 and optional I-131 and I-765 applications.

STEPS 5-8 DO NOT NECESSARILY FOLLOW A SPECIFIC ORDER:

5. Check to see if your case has been transferred to the local office, by making INFOPASS visits and asking POLITELY about your case several weeks after filing.
6. Receive your biometrics appointment letter and have your fingerprints taken. I never got an appointment letter but was able to do walk-in biometrics after my 4th INFOPASS visit.
7. Wait at least several business days after your fingerprints were taken to call the FBI, to ask if the results were returned to your local USCIS office. The FBI will tell you when the results were returned to the office but NOT the actual results of the fingerprint check. They’ll ask for your name, maybe your Alien Registration number (should be on your I-485 NOA). I called 304-625-5590, but there may be other ways to contact them.
8. Call the Kentucky Consular Center to see if your DV package has been sent to your local office. They’ll ask for your lottery number, name, etc. I’ve had the best results (short wait time) calling 7:30 am ET. I called 606-526-7500, but there may be other ways to contact them.

9. Wait for your interview appointment letter.
10. Be polite, truthful, and try to relax at the interview. Bring recent mail as proof of your current address, maybe bank statements or utility bills. I had never heard of this before my interview, but the officer asked me for proof and I fortunately had a FedEx enveloped sent to me just a week earlier.

Here is a more detailed description of my Adjustment of Status. Based on the initial 3 months of priority rank progression, I estimated that my number would be current in April (the progression is pretty linear after the first 2 months or so). My case was very clean, because I fulfilled all requirements, had never broken the law anywhere, etc. so I decided to file the AOS by myself. I ended up hiring an attorney a little over 3 months after I filed, because my case was inexplicably stuck without even a biometrics appointment. The lawyer found no problems with my forms, so I have no reason to believe that my problems were a result of filing by myself. I do believe that my lawyer’s letters to the local USCIS office were critical to the timely approval of my case, though.

Before I sent in my AOS package, I informed KCC of my intention to pursue AOS and paid the DV fee. I waited until my number was current to file in April. Although I had prepared my documents months ahead of time, I had to wait an additional week or so for a current letter of employment verification to arrive (to prove that I had been maintaining status by working for the sponsor of my H1B visa). I had reason to suspect that my job would be terminated unexpectedly early, so I wanted to have proof that I was in status when I filed. I included the following in my AOS package:

I-485 with 2 photos and check for $395 (filing fee + biometric fee) + COVER LETTER listing the documents in my AOS package and requesting that my case be processed with consideration of the September 2006 DV deadline
G-325A
I-485 Supporting Documents (shown below)
I-693 in SEALED envelope
I-134 and supporting documents
I-131 with 2 photos, check for $170, and supporting documents
I-765 with 2 photos, check for $180, and supporting documents

DV2006 supporting documents:
-Notification Letter
-Copy of DV fee payment receipt and USPS money order stub
-Passport ID + extension pages
-Passport H-1B page
-Copy of OSU H-1B Notice of Action (I-797)
-Copy of I-94 FRONT
-Copy of I-94 BACK
-Copy of birth certificate, translation, and US Embassy notarization
-Copy of High school diploma/letter
-Copy of B.S. Diploma
-Copy of M.S. Diploma
-Copy of Ph.D. Diploma
-Copy of Letter of Employment Verification (original stapled to I-134 form)
-Copy of tax returns 2005, 2004, 2003
-Copy of 3 checks for payment of I-485+biometric, I-131, and I-765 fees

I signed the I-134 myself and provided proof that I would not become a public charge. Technically, only permanent residents and US citizens are allowed to sign the I-134, but an immigration officer told me to fill it out anyway and use it as a template for the supporting documents (tax returns, bank statements, etc.).

Apr 10 I was living in Columbus, OH with H1B status. I sent my AOS package to the USCIS, Chicago lockbox via FedEx Next Day delivery.
Apr 11 My AOS package arrived at Chicago lockbox facility.
Apr 18 My checks were cashed, so I knew that processing of my forms had begun.
Apr 19 I received (dated Apr 17) Notices of Action for the I-485, I-765, I-131.
May 1 I made an INFOPASS visit to my local office to ask about my fingerprint notice and whether my case had been transferred to the local office (from Missouri).
The officer said that my case was sent out on April 28.
May 15 I made another INFOPASS visit, because I was worried that I still had not received a fingerprint notice. The officer told me that the case had been transferred to the local office on May 3 and to keep waiting.
Jun 19 I made an INFOPASS visit, to ask about my status. I was told to keep waiting and not to worry about the fingerprint notice.
Jun 20 My local USCIS office contacted KCC for my DV package (I didn’t know this until my INFOPASS visit on Jul 17).
Jun 26 My I-131 travel document was approved. I wasn’t planning on using it but filed for one in case of an emergency.
Jul 11 KCC sent my DV package (but neither I nor my local office knew this until the end of July).
Jul 17 I waited more than 90 days after my EAD I-765 filing to make an INFOPASS visit and request an interim EAD. I was told that my EAD was approved on Jun 26 but could not be issued because they didn’t have my fingerprints. The official gave me a walk-in fingerprint letter and I was able to do my biometrics for both the I-485 and I-765. I never received a normal fingerprint notice, so I feel like filing for the EAD is what helped me finally get my biometrics done. I didn’t receive an interim EAD, because supposedly the “real” EAD was already approved and just awaiting fingerprint info. The officer said that they requested my KCC package on Jun 20 but had not received anything yet. She said that my background name check had cleared, though, which was a big relief.
Jul 19 I hired an immigration lawyer. I was lucky and found a really nice attorney who made prompt and earnest efforts to help me. We filled out a G-28, declaring that he was my attorney, and he started writing letters to ask about my status and remind them of the Sep deadline. About a week after he wrote to the local office in Columbus, he had not received a response, so he contacted the next level up (the District Director’s office in Cleveland) and we finally heard back from them on Jul 31.
Jul 21 I called the FBI to ask if my fingerprint results were returned to my local USCIS office yet and was told that they were returned on Jul 17 (606-526-7500). I called KCC (304-625-5590) to ask about my DV package and was told that it was sent out Jul 11.
Jul 31 My lawyer called to tell me that he heard back from USCIS. They confirmed that my DV package was at the local office and promised to send me an interview notice within 30 days.
Jul 20 My I-765 EAD was officially completely approved and mailed out.
Jul 26 I received the EAD
Aug 04 I received the interview appointment letter for Aug 21. The notice was mailed out from my local USCIS office on Aug 03.
Aug 07 I made another INFOPASS visit to check if everything was OK. I was worried about my fingerprints, because the technician said that they were unusually shallow. The official told me that everything looked good and that I should be all set for the interview later that month.
Aug 21 My interview was in the afternoon, so I spent the morning trying to relax. I had all my original supporting documents and gathered some of my publications, in case the officer wanted further proof of my technical experience. I met with my lawyer 15 min before the interview. He told me to answer all questions truthfully (even a small lie can result in disaster), avoid babbling (just give the simplest answer possible without saying more than the immigration officer asked for), and to stop talking if he tapped me on the arm or leg (that last comment scared me a little). We walked through the metal detectors and gave the appointment notice to the security guard who checked my backpack, etc. We sat down for a minute before the immigration officer came out to get us. He said that he looked over my case and that the interview should take only 5 min. My lawyer joked that he needed more billable hours. We went into the officer’s office and he swore me in before having me take seat. He asked for proof that I was living where I claimed, and I luckily had a FedEx envelope dated just a week before. He made casual comments about my case, took some of my documents to make copies, and asked me the usual questions on the I-485 (have you ever been arrested? Have you ever committed genocide? etc.). The immigration officer was nice but I was nervous and my lawyer had to remind me to relax a few times. He took my I-94 card from my passport. The interview lasted about 10 min, but it was mostly casual conversation about my background (I’ve been living in the US for most of my life but never under immigrant status). The officer said he couldn’t make a formal decision yet but that things looked good. My lawyer asked about the expected timeline, but the officer apologized and said he honestly didn’t know. The officer asked me if I had any questions, and I didn’t. Of course, I wanted a decision right away but I knew that it would be foolish to complain or whine. The interview ended pleasantly, and we shook hands and left. My lawyer and I walked back to his office and we chatted for a few minutes. I went home and about 45 minutes after the interview, my lawyer called me to tell me that the immigration officer had called him to say that my case would be approved and that I could expect the green card in 2-3 weeks. I was too numb to truly believe it, but my case status was updated online later that evening.
Aug 22 I woke up this morning, wondering if I had hallucinated the events of yesterday. I got an email from USCIS saying that a welcoming letter was sent out Aug 21, so that helped to reassure me. I still can’t believe it’s over. Of course, I won’t celebrate until I actually get the green card but I wanted to write out my experiences before I start to forget. I’ll update this over the next few days until I get a written confirmation of success.
Aug 24 My case was further updated online with the standard message “after approving your application, we ordered you a new card”. I guess it really is official now, but it still hasn’t sunk in yet.
Aug 26 I received the welcome letter, dated Aug 21. It’s beginning to feel real. Onward and upward...

Good luck to all. I hope your DV process goes as smoothly as possible, but don’t despair if it doesn’t. There’s hope until the very end. Best wishes for a great future to everyone, no matter where you live.
Jun 26 I-131 travel document approved
Jul 17 walk-in biometrics taken, after 4th INFOPASS visit
Jul 20 I-765 EAD approved
Aug 04 received interview letter for Aug 21
Aug 21 AOS approved 45 min after interview
Aug 26 received welcoming letter, dated Aug 21

details:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=223312

Name: researcher29
Posted on: Aug 31, 2006 Email this link to friend(s)
6) Comments: DV winners, please read this first ! General Info

Common terms important for Diversity Visa ( DV ) winners:

If you are a DV07 winner, you cannot get a visa before Oct 1st 2006. And you couldn't get one after Sept 30th 07.
There will be 50,000 visas granted : winner ( principal applicant ) and family members are taken into account in the number of visas.

GC = Green card ( ! )

NL = Notification letter ( aka 1st package ) : the big enveloppe you received with your case number.
There are 50,000 visas, but more people receive a NL, as there are some requirements that may not be met by the applicant ( education, evidence of support, health...), and other reasons ( moved to a different address and never receives the NL, death, changed his mind and does not want to immigrate to the US anymore .... )
So, receiving a letter does not necessarily mean being granted a visa.

KCC = Kentucky Consular Center ( where the NL came from ! )
contact : kccdv@state.gov , and (606) 526-7500 ( US phone number )
You need to know your case number when you call.

CP = Consular Processing ( do the interview at a US consulate/embassy )
AOS = Adjustment of Status ( adjust your visa in the US ) if you are legally present in the US

If you have a valid visa and live in the US, you can choose between CP and AOS ( the "choice" depends on your case number: if high, AOS is risky; the costs for you to fly back if CP ...) . If you don't, then there is only CP.

Case number : that's a very important thing ! ( it starts with 2letters standing for your region : AF, EU, OC SA, AS )
It will determine your interview date if your number is called ( current ).
The bulletin gives you the information :
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/b...letin_1360.html
In some way, the case number represents your chance to get an interview, thus to get a GC. If it's rather high for your region, you might not be called ( your number is never current, not even at the end ), or being called late ( August or Sept ). But remember that for some countries, name and background checks take a couple of weeks. So, Sept 30th can come before you get cleared...

Evidence of Support : It can be any combination of the following three :
_ Affidavit of Support : form I134 filled by a US Citizen ( USC ) or a Legal Permanent Resident ( LPR = GC holder ) http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

_ Job offer in the US : it is better to obtain a job offer on the company's letterhead and have it notarized.

_ Own funds ( bank accounts, assets....): see poverty guidelines for an idea of the amount. ( bank statement)

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigr.../info_1327.html
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigr.../info_1328.html

For the Evidence of Support, you can provide any combiantion of the 3, which means you can provide one ( any one ) of the mentioned documents, two ( any two ), or the three of them.
Remember that you better be safe than sorry. Bring as much as you can.
So, the I134 alone is good. Still, it would be better if you could show your own funds.

Also, education and english skills play a role as it will help in finding a job.
The immigration officer determines your potential to become public charge. So the more proofs you provide that you won't become one, the better for you.

POE = Port of Entry : if you were doing CP and were successful, you will enter the US with a brown enveloppe that has to remain sealed ( don't open it, it's for immigration officers ). Usually, it's an airport. There, the process to get the plastic GC will be activated.

I did an excel worksheet for the history of cutoff numbers for each region. I"ll try to update it regularly.
The countries with specific cutoffs ( Nigeria, Ethiopia, Ukraine... ) are not included.
There is a table, and then there are graphs. It can help to have an idea when your number would be current. Just rememer that it just represents what has already happened.

Statistics: I do not remember where I got this, but I had this on my computer:
Table III is DV2005 statistics.
Table VI is a sumup for all DVs.

Attached Files FY05tableIII.pdf (175.0 KB, 145 views)

dvFY05tableVII.pdf (247.0 KB, 104 views)

DV.xls (25.5 KB, 96 views)

Documents

The documents listed in the 2nd package are the same that the ones in the 1st.
They are:
_ the appointment letter ( the 2nd package ) is required to enter an embassy
_ birth certificate
_ marriage certificate ( and divorce if applicable )
_ death certificate ( if applicable, for spouse or children )
_ deportation papers if applicable
_ police certificate
_ court and prison records
_ proof of High School diploma ( and higher education if any )
_ Evidence of support :
* affidavit of support ( I134 ) ( by a USC or LPR )
* job offer in the US
* money or assets on your name
_ your passport
_ US-size photos
_ medical exam : the 2nd package will indicate the list of accredited physicians.

Not required, but might be requested : US tax returns if you lived in the US
but you do not need a US police certificate .

Evidence of Support : It can be any combination of the following three :
_ Affidavit of Support : form I134 filled by a US Citizen ( USC ) or a Legal Permanent Resident ( LPR = GC holder ) http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

_ Job offer in the US : it is better to obtain a job offer on the company's letterhead and have it notarized.

_ Own funds ( bank accounts, assets....): see poverty guidelines for an idea of the amount. ( bank statement)

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigr.../info_1327.html
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigr.../info_1328.html

For the Evidence of Support, you can provide any combiantion of the 3, which means you can provide one ( any one ) of the mentioned documents, two ( any two ), or the three of them.
Remember that you better be safe than sorry. Bring as much as you can.
So, the I134 alone is good. Still, it would be better if you could show your own funds.

Also, education and english skills play a role as it will help in finding a job.
The immigration officer determines your potential to become public charge. So the more proofs you provide that you won't become one, the better for you.

Education or training requirement:
_ education requirement( completion of a 12-year education : High School dipploma, and higher degrees )
_ training ( two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience to perform. The U.S. Department of Labor’s O*Net OnLine database will be used to determine qualifying work experience )

For the police/court and prison records, special rules apply depending on how long you lived in a country and at what age.
A general rule is for every country you have lived in for more than a year after your 16th birthday.
Also, for some countries, it takes time to obtain them. So do some research!

Also, bring anything you think is applicable and relevant to your case ( better be safe than sorry... )

The principal applicant has to show the documents. Beneficiaries have to show most of them ( proof of termination of prior marraiges, birth ....). The only one that is not required for beneficiaries is the High School diploma : only the principal applicant has to prove it.

For translations, it depends on your consulate/embassy.
For CP in France ( my experience ), documents written in French or English were accepted.
Check for your location. Even if you have to pay a fee to contact the consulate, it might save you a lot of money ( certified translations are very expensive )

Some consulates require a special enveloppe so that stamped passports will be returned. This should be mentionned in the interview letter ( 2nd package ).

You can find specific info regarding documents for most countries in the reciprocity table : http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm

CP procedure

It applies if you do not currently live in the US, or if you prefer that option to AOS.

CP procedure in short:
_ send the forms back to KCC
_ wait for your number to become current
_ call to know when your interview is scheduled= schedule an appointment for medical exam
_ interview
_ go to the US within 6m of approval

Details
You have to send the forms back to KCC. The sooner, the better. You can contact the KCC to make sure the forms were received and are being processed.

Unless you realize you made a mistake, or you change your situation ( like getting married ) you won't need to fill out other forms.

Then you wait for your number to become current.
Once it is, wait a couple of days, and call KCC to know if an interview has been scheduled for you. ( exemple : the bulletin published on May 10th 2006 gives numbers for June and advance notification for July. Call KCC around May 20th ).
If an interview is scheduled for you, you can book plane tickets.
The second package will give a list of accredited doctors for the medical exam.
But you can already check if you are up to date for vaccines ( see the uscis website for the recommendations on vaccines : http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigr.../info_1331.html ).
You will have to make an appointment approx 1week before your interview, so that there is time for the results to come back ( HIV, Xrays...).
( That's why for people in the US, you should take about 2weeks off : time to go there, get the medical exam done and get the results , interview, and a couple of days in case there are delays in your name check )

For translations, it depends on your consulate/embassy. Check for your location. Even if you have to pay a fee to contact the consulate, it might save you a lot of money ( certified translations are very expensive ).

If you are granted an interview ( number goes current ), and are successful, you will get a "stamp" in your passport.

Successful can be globally defined as :
_ you did not lie, or made errors in your entry
_ your medical exam is ok
_ you paid the fees
_ your name check comes clear ( and before Sept 30th )
_ you provided the required documents

Fees : total is $755 per person as of June 2006
# Immigrant visa application processing fee (per person), Form DS-230 : $335.00
# Diversity Visa Lottery surcharge for immigrant visa application (per person applying as a result of the lottery program): $375.00
# Immigrant visa security surcharge, for all IV and DV applicants: $45.00

There is also a cost for the medical exam. From my DV experience, the medical fee was 150E per adult for everything ( Xrays, bloodwork, physician consult ).

It is an immigrant visa ( IV ) which is valid for 6months : from the date you get the stamp, you have 6months to travel to the US to activate it, and then get the real GC.
After a succesful CP interview, you'll be given an enveloppe. It has to remain sealed ! This enveloppe is for the immigration officers when you arrive to the US. It's called POE = Port of Entry.
It contains paperwork which will be sent to a processing center.
You will be told that your GC can arrive in as little as 2weeks and up to 10months. That's why it says on the visa that upon validation ( entry stamp at US border ), it will serve as a temporary GC for one year.
In my case, my husband and I received a couple of Welcome Letters , and received the GCs after 4weeks.

The prinicipal applicant has to enter the US first. Spouse and kids can come at the same time, but not before the principal applicant. That's because the principal applicant will "initiate " the process to get the real GC.

AOS procedure

AOS procedure :

You have to be legally present in the US ( valid visa ). In this case, you can choose between CP and AOS.
The choice is your decision. Some factors are your case number, or the cost for you to fly back for CP ( plane tickets, have to take about two weeks off to have time for medicals… )

In short :
If you choose AOS, you have to send something to KCC to let them know your intent to go with AOS so that won't deal with your case anymore. You will have to send form I485 to Chicago lockbox ( correct me if I'm wrong, I am not too familiar with AOS ) when your number appears current in the bulletin ( that's the pb with AOS : you only send your forms when number is current ). Then, you wait for your Notice of Action (NoA). You will receive an appointment for FP ( Biometrics ) and later for a real interview.

Procedure :

1. Send ALL forms back to KCC. Theoretically, you need to send back only DSP-122 indicating that you will do processing in USCIS office, but apparently some people experienced delays if they had not.
Your local office is determined by where you live. When you call USCIS, they will tell you.

2. Call the USCIS Customer Service 1-800-375-5283 to determine eligibility (based on type of visa and your I-94 expiry date) You don't need to go to your local office to find out how to proceed unless you want to. You can learn everything online. They will know you are doing AOS when they receive your I-485 plus docs. All forms and documents you send will need to have your case number on top right corner. They will know you are DV applicant, in the appropriate box click 'other' and explain.

3. After receiving your DS Forms KCC will send you an acknowledgment letter informing you that they now have finished dealing with your case and that you will have to deal with USCIS.

4. Depending on your local office you may or may NOT apply before your number becomes current ( see below ).

5.You send I-485 forms to Chicago lockbox and they send it to your local office depending on your address. ( when your number is current, or you guess it will be very soon ) ( see below )
Chicago lockbox address is: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm

NOTE: Be aware that you will NOT be able to use your non-immigrant visa to travel. Your status is 'suspended' until adjudication. In order to travel you will need to file for Advance Parole (I-131) together with I-485. You may also apply for EAD (Employment Authorisation Document I-765) at the same time.

NOTE : AOS for DV winners is very small fraction of AOS applications. So often they are not very familiar with this process. The most important thing is to insist that DV AOS has a deadline, Sept 30th.

When to apply :

=> when you see your number is current in the bulletin.

The INS had made a memo for DV 99.

http://www.visalaw.com/99aug/39aug99.html
Quote:
The memo makes clear that winners of the DV-99 lottery may submit petitions up to three months prior to the month in which the visa number is current in rank

But you have to be medium to know for sure !To know 90days in advance, you have to guess.
That's one of the reasons that some people get denied AOS : they applied too early ( wrong guess ...), they get denied, and have to reapply => they have lost some precious time.

Also, the INS states it is for DV99 . But people considered it was still in application for later DVs.
It depends on your office, some accept, and some don't.
The thing is that if you get denied, you've lost some very precious time and money.
If you wait 30more days, you have the visa bulletin giving the advance notification, and this way, you're safe.
Remember that sending your applications earlier is at your own risk.

Winner2006 added an informative post about AOS :
http://www.immigrationportal.com/sh...ad.php?t=219826

Special cases, additional info

Special case : getting married either after DV entry submission or after NL

It’s not a problem. It’s not considered fraud : you didn’t lie in your entry, it happened after.
Getting married with your significant other is your decision. If you were thinking about getting married, then you should marry before your interview. If you don’t, it will take years for you to sponsor your spouse.
Just be prepared to show proofs that you were together ( not just a GC marraige ). You might not be asked for them, but remember that I prefer things to be safe.
Those proofs can be:
_ emails ( date )
_ pictures ( date behind is better ) : showing both of you at family events, on vacation …
_ bills , appartment lease ….

I had chosen to wait after my marriage to send the forms back to KCC. Which means I sent my forms in OCtober : it was probably a little late, and may have caused the delay for me to get an interview ( my number was current in April , but I had my interview only in June ).
Some choose to send their forms as single asap, so that the forms start being processed. Then they get married ( thus, they had more time than me to plan the weeding ceremony ! ), and they send again their forms ( corrected : married ) along with forms for the spouse and a marriage certificate.

Anyway, if that's your decision, get married before the interview.

Special case : Spouse does not want to immigrate.

If you are the winner ( principal applicant ), and your spouse does not want to move to the US, then everything’s fine.
However, if the spouse changes his/her mind later on, it's too late. The visa has to be granted by Sept 30th. It will take years for a GC holder to sponsor his/her spouse.
If your spouse is the winner, then the spouse still has to go to the interview, pay for the visa, and go to the US to activate your visa.

Special Case : Birth of a child

_ The child is born after your entry submission, but before receiving the NL : simple, you just had the child in the forms.
_ The child is born after you sent back the forms : you print new ones, update them, and them to KCC along with a cover letter to explain ( you may want to add a birth certificate, but you would still need one for the interview )
_ Your interview is scheduled very close to the delivery date : have the interview scheduled for later, when the child is born so that he/she would get a GC too.
_ You went to the interview, the child is not yet born : that's more a problem : you should go to the US asap, so that the child is born as a USC. However, if you were not living in the US with medical insurance, that can be very expensive.

I think the child has to have a passport, and there would be the fees for him too ( visa fees of $755, and medical exam ).

US tax returns

Transcripts for federal returns can be obtained by calling (800)–829–1040 or by mailing form 4506-T (PDF), and should be received within approx two weeks . There is no charge.
But if you want a copy of the forms you sent to the IRS, then there is a fee of $39 per tax year requested.
You usually do not need a copy. A transcript is enough : it's a piece of paper that summarizes your return into a standard format so that's easy to read for an immigration officer.
Remember that the USCIS is not the IRS. Meaning that an immigration officer just wants to see if you filed ( complied with tax laws ) or not. A transcript is a true proof that you filed, as it comes from the IRS. If you bring a photocopy you made of your returns ( here, I mean a copy made by you, not a copy you would have paid for to obtain from the IRS ), it does not necessarily mean you filed a return.
Also, if you made a few mistakes ( wrong form, late filing ...), the immigration officer won't probably notice if the IRS hasn't.

Transcripts for state taxes also exist. See your State's Department of Revenue.

You may or may not be asked for them. I wasn't for CP in Paris, but maybe that's because my husband and I were students ( F1 ).
My opinion is still to be overprepared: if you do not have them, and are asked about them, what will you do ?!
Besides, there is no charge, so there is no reason not to request transcripts.

Name: Catseyes
Posted on: Aug 17, 2006 Email this link to friend(s)
7) Comments: My DV AOS experience

Hi there,

Yesterday, my wife and I had our DV AOS appointmet. We came to the Immigration Office pretty early since our interview was scheduled at 7:45 am. Frankly, I expected to see, perhaps, 4-10 more people not counting us. To my surprise, I suddenly realized I was in the middle of the room with circa 150 other people waiting for their interviews. This number soon doubled. It is probably why we were called after almost 4 hours of waiting.
We followed an immigration officer to her room. We took an oath standing, and then we started showing to her all the required documents: birth certificates, a marriage certificate, DV fee receipt, and my high school diploma (I asked her if she wanted to see my college diploma, but she said it wasn't necessary).
Because, my wife was an H1B visa holder, the officer wanted to see an employment letter from her job and the recent pay stubs, the last year tax return and she asked her some job related things. In the meantime, while checking some documents and making some notes, she started asking us all those have-you-ever questions that you can find in the I-485 Form. Then she asked me if I had a job offer, and since I did I handed it to her.
Everything was pretty smooth until she looked at the I-134 Affidavit of Support and said that she didn't see a copy of the sponsor's green card.
Since I didn't have it on me, and honestly didn't even know I needed it, I told her that I wasn't aware it was necessary but I knew his A number was written down in the form. She answered very politely that it is my responsibility to deliver the proof, and not hers to find it. At this point I felt a little helpless and confused.
Fortunately, I recalled that I had a transleted bank statement from my country showing that I had some investments over there so I gave it to her asking if this could be used instead.
She checked it out, asked if we had any savings here, checked that out as well, took another look at tax returns and said that it would do.
Then she took the original I-94s from our passports and asked us to wait outside.
She called us after about 10 minutes and handed our passports over to us with the I-551s stamped to them. I don't have to tell you how good it felt at that point 'cause everybody who went through a successful interview knows what I'm talkin about. I wish everybody still waiting for their turns the same.
So we made it, and now are waiting for our creen cards in the mail

I want to thank you Hmz, Borya, Alincosma, Afraid, Canonurum, Marvadur, Vk96 and others for sharing your thoughts on this forum. It was very helpful on my way to the Green Card. Thanks to this forum I did everything myself with no lawer involved.

Thanks, and good luck

Greg_DV2006

For more details on this topic click here

Name: greg_dv2006
Posted on: May 1, 2006 Email this link to friend(s)

Home | About Us | Forums | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Feedback
Copyright ©1993-2008 Law Offices of Rajiv S. Khanna, PC. All rights reserved.

Total Hits : 3286327 Unique Hits : 457353 Current Visitors Hits : 3
Developed and Maintained by Anthesys, Inc

Special case : Spouse does not want to immigrate.

If you are the winner ( principal applicant ), and your spouse does not want to move to the US, then everything’s fine.
However, if the spouse changes his/her mind later on, it's too late. The visa has to be granted by Sept 30th. It will take years for a GC holder to sponsor his/her spouse.
If your spouse is the winner, then the spouse still has to go to the interview, pay for the visa, and go to the US to activate your visa.

Je te suggère d'obtenir l' IV avec ton épouse, puis vous rendre ensemble aux USA.
Dès l'activation de votre Status de Résident Permanent (I-551, in passport upon arrival at the POE) elle peux aussitôt revenir en Afrique sans delai pour un an maxi.
Elle aura ensuite tout le temps de bien réfléchir...

Je te suggère d'obtenir l' IV avec ton épouse, puis vous rendre ensemble aux USA.
Dès l'activation de votre Status de Résident Permanent (I-551, in passport upon arrival at the POE) elle peux aussitôt revenir en Afrique sans delai pour un an maxi.
Elle aura ensuite tout le temps de bien réfléchir...

Merci , mais pour ca il me faudre + de 500.000 frs rien que pour elle ( le total des frais + les frais médicaux ) , les moyens faisant défaut, je préfére y aller seul (pour remplir les conditions ) . Je répéte , je voudrais bien qu'elle parte avec moi mais , les sous me manquent , j'ai pas de affidavit support donc je compte sur le peu que je posséde en banque .
merci !

I NEED AN AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT for my wife and me .
(I don't have enough morney in bank )
Is someone ready to help his brother for that paper ?